Double skillets... Are they really that good? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had the large one too but it was a bit big so we now have the smaller one, which is the only one you can buy new now, and it is a much better size for a motorhome as it allows you to get other pans on the hob/stovetop too.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have the smaller one used as an oven sometimes --have been after a trivet on legs for inside so I can cook things above others at same time ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Our Hymer has no oven or grill, we have had it for 15 years and had our DS for that long in fact when the original ladies were retiring I bought a spare.
There is not much you can not do in them a diffuser helps as well.
I've cooked many a roast joint along with all the veg in them
They do great jacket potatoes in them, cheese toasty, stews the list goes on and they use very little gas.
If course they can be used as ordinary pans so multi purpose, just take the time to find out use them properly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have the smaller one used as an oven sometimes --have been after a trivet on legs for inside so I can cook things above others at same time ?
Have a look at the stands you get for smaller halogen ovens - if they are too tall just bend the legs under and up to form a tight 'U' shape, this way they won't scratch the pan base.

I've just found these 'air fryer racks' on Ebay which might do the job ...

Also a standard Remoska rack might do too ...

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
we’ve had a double skillet for nearly 30 years, roast dinner, yes, croissant (as Jim says) yes, toast, yes half a pan is best, stale baguette and croissant in the DS for a minute or two, butter and jam has been the go to m/h touring breakfast for years, they also warm up sausage rolls to perfection, but, keep the heat low, cook the curry, take the lid off cook the Nan, simples(y) I could do with a new one, offers please ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am thinking that I may be changing the MH in the not distant future.

I need it to be LHD for registration purposes and as we live in Poland moble.de is likely to be a source.

Continental builders and owners do not normally incorporate an oven, so I am thinking of getting a DS as a test to see if we would miss our oven if we had a DS.

I can understand it doing things like roasting, but I wonder how many of the grill functions it can replace e.g grilling chops and steaks. Nobody has mentioned much about its grilling function except toast and toasties.

Comments on DS replicating a grill, please.

Geoff

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
since 2006
I do steaks and chops etc and use it a single frying pan or 2 single frying pans, never needed to add oil to meats so not greasy and just wipe clean most of the time with a kitchen roll.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do steaks and chops etc and use it a single frying pan or 2 single frying pans, never needed to add oil to meats so not greasy and just wipe clean most of the time with a kitchen roll.

Yes I can understand frying meat is possible but here at home and in the MH we prefer to grill under radiant heat which produces a different result. Browning tops of dishes is another function.

I discussed it with the house chef this evening and she would want a grill, even though the grilling is my job. We do pan-fry veal cutlets etc.

Fortunately if we change MHs it would be for one of 8- 8.5m so should allow us to retrofit an oven and grill if necessary.

Geoff

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Just exchanging our much loved motorhome for a Campervan without an oven. I once owned a double skillet which I never used and sold because we had an oven but now I am looking for a small replacement. Does anyone have a small one they would like to sell?

Apr 30, 2024
Dartford, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Conversion
Exp
Since December 2023 (caravans & tents before then)
I bought a Ridgemonkey sandwich maker/ double fryer, which has the benefit of compactness, and stops spatter. Now resisting the impulse to buy a DS, Remoska, air fryer …….

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just exchanging our much loved motorhome for a Campervan without an oven. I once owned a double skillet which I never used and sold because we had an oven but now I am looking for a small replacement. Does anyone have a small one they would like to sell?
I have one that I bought on an impulse but never used as our vans have always had ovens . I am flying back from Scotland today. I can check that I have all the pieces and that it has survived the big kitchen refurb last year if you’re interested?

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Can you bake in it? Eg bread We are off grid a lot of the time but when on hook up I take the opportunity to bake a loaf in the Remoska. From the descriptions so far I am not sure that I would use them any differently to saucepans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have the poor mans version amazon link used it camping and in the MH, fantastic bit of kit even for just the odd sausage or 6
We've got the proper version of that named 'Happy call' (no idea why such a stupid name!). We use it for warming pies, pizza (leftovers) etc and it does lovely cheese toasties! :tounge: Only thing you have to be careful of is that it doesn't overlap the edge of the hob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can you bake in it? Eg bread We are off grid a lot of the time but when on hook up I take the opportunity to bake a loaf in the Remoska. From the descriptions so far I am not sure that I would use them any differently to saucepans.
You can fully 'bake' part-baked bread, quiches, pies etc and we've done it many times but you can do the same in a deep saucepan with a good lid. We've never used ours in 'staking' mode but did use them as a mini oven in the past however we've got an oven now so use them often as 2 frying pans which, due to them stacking they can be stored one on top of the other 'upright' which means no need to clean them every time. They are very useful but if I wouldn't buy them again as we don't use them for their 'proper' purpose, ie as a mini oven, anymore.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I bought a Ridgemonkey sandwich maker/ double fryer, which has the benefit of compactness, and stops spatter. Now resisting the impulse to buy a DS, Remoska, air fryer …….
Not forgetting a pressure cooker and Eco-pot (thermal cooker). :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back