Don’t blindly trust the Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Slowly making our way down to Portugal.
Decided to visit La Alberca a beautiful medieval town in the mountains.
Programmed the Garmin with co ordinates for the aire in the town.
Vehicle dimensions etc are all stored on the device.
Arrived and sat nav said turn left and then first right off the main road.
I know the aire was on the main road so the thought was “no way”
Drove on and the aire was off the main road.
Parked up and walked the town which is stunning.
The picture is one of the roads in the town 😂😂😂😂
IMG_2550.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just goes to show that Navigation devices that take your vehicle dimensions can be just as misleading as the standard ones. If the information isn’t on the map it doesn’t know to avoid the road. No substitute for the eyeball and common sense which clearly saved the OP from some tricky reversing.

Looks like a great place to visit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's last few miles of any route is where you are can run into a problem.. happened to me several times using a Garmin sat nav with my RV ..

I sold my Garmin Camper and now only use Google maps on a Lenovo M9 tablet.. you can eyeball any tricky parts of the route, using satellite images and street view...

I also have P4N and S4S and a couple of other aires apps on the tablet which makes navigating to your chosen destination a piece of cake.

If anyone considering doing this, Lenovo have a sale on with the M9 tablet at £100 ..

I'm a Mac person, but the Android tablet is really good.. it has GPS but no cellular, only wifi , so I tether to my iPhone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Unnecessary invention, worked all over the world without any need for such devices. Do a map recce, and then transfer the route onto a post it, slapped on steering wheel….

we also have the luxury of road signs…………

if you have visited Pegasus Bridge, you will me mightily impressed as to how they landed the gliders within a few feet of the bridge, at night in hostile territory, with map, compass and maybe the stars..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unnecessary invention, worked all over the world without any need for such devices. Do a map recce, and then transfer the route onto a post it, slapped on steering wheel….

if you have visited Pegasus Bridge, you will me mightily impressed as to how they landed the gliders within a few feet of the bridge, at night in hostile territory, with map, compass and maybe the stars..
I don't know where you travel but we find it invaluable! I do like to keep a check of the route on our map but having to use just that would be a nightmare especially with loads of detours, road closures etc which we always seem to 'discover'!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Never trust them, Google and Garmin messed up as I was presented with a 2.5m bridge two days ago, we are 3.3m high… managed to do a sixteen point turn; wasn’t very popular with the locals in this rural part of the Algarve, but all was good in the end.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
They're only as good as the data they use.
Many expect them to be better than is possible without paying for updates.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Above all, double check the numbers you have entered. I got one digit wrong and ended up 20 miles past where i wanted to be.
Also check the GPS co-ordinates format. There are a lot of slightly different formats that people don't understand.

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Also check the GPS co-ordinates format. There are a lot of slightly different formats that people don't understand.
Like the yanks when they went after Gaddaffi…..

GPS, GLOSSNAS, BNG, MGRS, Lat/long, etc etc….true north, grid north,

and on land its easy, at sea, tides, current, wind, propwash etc etc…

navigation is a complex subject, which many people fail to grasp the importance of understanding…

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I have found that using co-ordinates can land you best part of half a mile away. I use What3Words. Find the Aire or whatever on the app, switch to satellite view where you can see a sky view of the vans, identify the entry barrier and send it to the Garmin Camper satnav. Works every time.

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Is there any evidence that the data is any better than satnavs? I suspect it was merged together and has been the same source for at least a decade. Maps are made with digital data.
Of course its the same data, but different and reliable fail safe media…..well in the right hands.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have found that using co-ordinates can land you best part of half a mile away. I use What3Words. Find the Aire or whatever on the app, switch to satellite view where you can see a sky view of the vans, identify the entry barrier and send it to the Garmin Camper satnav. Works every time.
or.. as I do now

from the aire on the app, press 'navigate' and it sends the data to Google maps (or your preferred mapping app) on the tablet, plots the route and off you go ..

years ago I used to upload all the aires POIs onto my Garmin. but that only gives you a location without any other info .. useful but still not nearly as good as using the app and navigating from it. .. and the POIs needed manually updating every year

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!

You probably say the same about the internet, I still would rather have it though :giggle:, you have to move on or we would still be living in caves.

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
You probably say the same about the internet, I still would rather have it though :giggle:, you have to move on or we would still be living in caves.
Think im preaching in a foreign tongue, unless you know, you obviously dont…

clearly i did not mention the internet, and im obviously using it..but as i can navigate, sat navs are utterly unnecessary and often gives dud advice…

Feb 19, 2023
France the Pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 2002
Exp
Newby to Motorhome but not to traveling, caravaning and camping
Slowly making our way down to Portugal.
Decided to visit La Alberca a beautiful medieval town in the mountains.
Programmed the Garmin with co ordinates for the aire in the town.
Vehicle dimensions etc are all stored on the device.
Arrived and sat nav said turn left and then first right off the main road.
I know the aire was on the main road so the thought was “no way”
Drove on and the aire was off the main road.
Parked up and walked the town which is stunning.
The picture is one of the roads in the town 😂😂😂😂
View attachment 830694
I would have been sat on the corner painting this street if I had come across it. It’s beautiful. I see the name now in your post.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
.but as i can navigate, sat navs are utterly unnecessary and often gives dud advice…
I too can navigate but I still make use of modern electronics as well. I believe it aids road safety to have the most up to date information on roads and traffic. In my boating days proper chart and pencil navigation was essential but as soon as GPS came along I bought a marine unit, because it provided additional safety.

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
Think im preaching in a foreign tongue, unless you know, you obviously dont…

clearly i did not mention the internet, and im obviously using it..but as i can navigate, sat navs are utterly unnecessary and often gives dud advice…
Just joking with you, the point I was making was that Satnavs are a great invention and very useful, like a lot of things we have nowadays. I have travelled all over the world and certainly wouldn't be without one. The problem is when people have one glued to the end of their nose and blindly follow every instruction given and wonder why they end up sh!t street! Only last month I was marshalling an off road motorcycle event when along the byway comes a middle aged woman in her car, we tried to tell her that it was not a good idea, she insisted that her satnav told her to go this way, sure enough 100 yards further on she was stuck solid, she came back down to borrow a phone as her battery was dead to organise recovery.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
My satnav has live traffic updates so warns me when a road is closed, tells me how long road works might add to my journey and will reroute me when necessary. I find all of that very useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back