Dometic V Truma AC

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
So I've been at the show today researching AC that we'd like to have fitted this winter ready to hopefully tour Europe over the next few years....it appears that both dometic and truma have new models which have inverter compressor heat pumps which claim to be more economic, quieter, smoother and draw less inrush current. The truma in the form of the gen 2 aventa comfort and dometic rxj7 2200 which are comparable specs and should be suitable for our 7.4m MH.....the show offer on domestic fitted at Tewkesbury £2200, the truma fitted at Derby £2250 (we're Birmingham so similar distance).....with both of these being new I can't find any info/reviews online, and I doubt many people will have experience but I just wondered if any of the knowledgeable people here could give a compelling reason to go one way or the other? Thanks in advance

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That's great they are making inverter systems for vans now. House AC have all been inverter for years, much better than fixed speed units.
The compressors are 3 phase DC and driven by electronics, the microprocessor speeds up or slows down the motor according to demand. You sometimes can't even hear the outdoor units running, you have to put your ear against the case 🤗
I'd be inclined to go with the Dometic, bigger company.

In case there's any confusion... They're Nothing to do with 12v to 230v inverters

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the Dometic 3000 variable speed inverter drive unit so next up from the 2200 it works well both in heat and cooling mode (heats by heat pump process) it is very quiet, it's a replacement for previous non inverter model that never really worked properly and Dometic were totally clueless, it was eventually replaced by Morelo but if it was my money I would go Truma just because the backup couldn't possibly be any worse than Dometic.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Cannot speak for any new models, but we have had both brands in the past on multiple occasions. Always preferred the Truma, and would only buy them again if able to make a choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
So we returned to the show yesterday intending to make final decision....couple of other brands were also in the frame, namely Mestic (who also had the inverter technology available) and Mecair who didn't have the inverter but their model looked very good, apparently no 1 in Italy and was very keenly priced at £1900 fitted in Birmingham.....
I was leaning towards the Truma as the history and recommendations pointed me that way but it turned out that the £2250 they quoted was not for the Gen2 version as they won't have the units ready till 2025 and would be £2750....in light of this the dometic became a bargain as I'm really keen on the newer quieter, soft start tech, so in spite of their seemingly poor service we've gone for it, last day of the show they also threw us in 2 of their posh thermal coffee mugs (£30 each) and as they have some units in stock we're booked for the install early Nov.

Probably won't have much call for the cooling side till next year but if anyone's interested I will report back here on install service and heating performance as and when🤞

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Air conditioning is always and has always been a "heat pump". They're just calling it a heat pump to make it sound like new technology.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
Air conditioning is always and has always been a "heat pump". They're just calling it a heat pump to make it sound like new technology.
I think it's the inverter compressor bit that is new in these units....as the chap explained nearer the start of this thread these have been used for sometime in domestic and commercial HVAC systems but only recently added to mobile units....fingers crossed it's as good as it sounds!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Probably won't have much call for the cooling side till next year but if anyone's interested I will report back here on install service and heating performance as and when🤞
I'd be very interested in hearing about the Dometic inverter compressor with regard to noise levels. I was toying with changing our Freshjet 2200 (non-compresser inverter) for the newer model, but there were non in stock anywhere back in July. We used ours this year in Italy/Greece/Albania etc during very hot periods. We've had them before and have sort of got used to the clunk when the aircon compressor kicks in and the limited fan options. As we also have a PVC the noise levels can be exacerbated and its directly over the sleeping area.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd be very interested in hearing about the Dometic inverter compressor with regard to noise levels. I was toying with changing our Freshjet 2200 (non-compresser inverter) for the newer model, but there were non in stock anywhere back in July. We used ours this year in Italy/Greece/Albania etc during very hot periods. We've had them before and have sort of got used to the clunk when the aircon compressor kicks in and the limited fan options. As we also have a PVC the noise levels can be exacerbated and its directly over the sleeping area.
The inverter models are FAR superior, there is no clunk when the compressor starts, they start on tick over and gradually speed up, if there is a big discrepancy between set point and actual temperature they will go up to full speed but if left on they will slow right down, same as I said earlier you can't hear them running when stood next to them, the fan turning is always an indication they're still running.. Even the condenser fan is speed controlled and starts turning like a windmill at first 🥰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I suppose so. But when I was in college in the 90s the we referred to the new reversible air cons that did heating and cooling as "heatpumps' and cooling only were AC units.

The brand new buzzword for AC is "air to air" as they say, a language that doesn't change is a dead language 🤔😏

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
The inverter models are FAR superior, there is no clunk when the compressor starts, they start on tick over and gradually speed up, if there is a big discrepancy between set point and actual temperature they will go up to full speed but if left on they will slow right down, same as I said earlier you can't hear them running when stood next to them, the fan turning is always an indication they're still running.. Even the condenser fan is speed controlled and starts turning like a windmill at first 🥰
Sounds good, many thanks! Long story, we ordered aircon with our new Adria 640 SLB PVC 2 years ago. Should have been Truma, turned up with Dometic Freshjet 2200. Adria has us over a barrel, reject it and have to re-order or accept, which we did. We'd had the 2200 on the previous van so knew about the noise. Adria also took it upon themselves to put in extra ventilation holes/vents either side of the aircon unit, god knows why. You'd think it would be an easy job to take the Freshjet 2200 out and put in a new Dometic with the inverter compressor. No! The new models have a much bigger footprint on the roof and guess what? the extra air vents are in the way! (see pic below) So we'd have to remove the vents, fill the holes and then fit the new unit. Big job, big money! The 2200 was ok this summer (Greece, Italy, Albania etc) I guess we are used to the noise, or the wine kicked in. Thanks for the info on the new models, really useful. I'd really like to be able to see/hear one of the new units in action at some stage to compare. Sorry Brummiecraig, I seem to have had a rant in your thread!
IMG_0042.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back