Dometic fridge not lighting on gas (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

I might actually have got very lucky and fixed this myself, but not confident 🤔

This is the back of our fridge, not that you can see much

IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2093.jpeg

I believe the first one shows the burner behind the plate (slightly bent due to me trying to see inside 🙄👍) the second I think is the gas valve I have seen mentioned on other threads

Arrived on site yesterday, no hook up, after the initial delay when turning off the ignition we got an alarm from the fridge, flashing triangle and gas symbol

We could smell gas (slightly) so fairly happy gas getting to burner, could hear it clicking so happy it had power. Pressed triangle to try again, creates a few minutes delay before alarm comes back , tried this about 10 times then turned it off for the night

Read a few threads on here and got up more confident this morning, turned fridge on, went straight to alert, no delay no thinking about it just flashing and beeping 🙁

So took what was left of my refreshed confidence out into awning (yes that’s all working very well and safari room back up 😁) took grill off, gave it a hard stare, identified above components, turned fridge on, could smell a whiff of gas and hear / see the igniter sparking, (withdrew head 😁) alarm back on, turned fridge off

Gave what I think is the valve a very gentle tap, gave the burner area a couple of lungs fulls of my best morning breath , turned fridge back on , bingo it lit 👍👍

I don’t have much confidence in it relighting when it should, but for now it will be on for a while cooling the fridge I would expect

Thinking I might just have got very lucky and blown something away from the critical burny bit 🤔

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
David,

Could have been the gas jet blocked and you've cleared it. These are very sensitive to blockages.

Anthony

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not confident it will relight after it cuts out next and not brave (or stupid) enough to turn it off to find out, I may still need more help 🤔👍

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I agree it was probably the hard stare that did it.:giggle: Might be worth turning it off and on when it's convenient for you rather than have to sort it again at 10pm. Mind you an awning helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I had similar last week.Did the same as you.light everytime .I wondered if it was a cobweb and blowing it cleared it .I am going to get a can of compressed air for future use.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Possibly a build up of soot shorting out the ingnition electrode, blowing may have cleared it. I used to do this on gas fires I have a small rubber tube for the purpose. Customers were happy the fire was working but less so with the £85 bill

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
best to buy an air cleaning aerosol ,the type used for computer keyboards and give your burner area a good blast with that.
If you have some rust or soot in the vent tube just driving over a few bumps can loosen it and cause it to drop onto the burner and stop it igniting

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our gas valve sticks very occasionally we use give it a tap with the shaft of a hammer whilst wife turns it on as soon as it starts clicking tap gently, use the van 6 moths of the year has happened twice since 2019 (new) not really a safety issue as if the valve doesn’t open no gas flows.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would think it a blocked jet, you probably disturbed the the blockage.
Mines a different type but the jet is held in by the gas pipe.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Always clean my burner yearly.

I'm going to be an expert soon 🤞🏻

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I was taught, when in doubt give it a clout, It’s worked well for me 😁

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Any euphoria I had when my actions solved the problem were lost in my concern that I hadn’t really got a clue what I did to fix it

It must have been a bit of something in the way, but as I couldn’t even see the burners it was pure luck, reading threads where people change their burners I have no idea how I would start that

I presume the metal ‘cage’ around the burner can be removed, all I could do was bend it a bit to try and have a look 🤔🙄

Still working though 😁

Always clean my burner yearly.

I'm going to be an expert soon 🤞🏻

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I really am no expert but that metal bit you bent normaly held in with one screw. Then burners exposed. Debris normally blocks gas. Hence I give mine a good blow out. Very fiddly to clean flue on mine. But I assume that should be done yearly.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
May I ask how you do that please.
I put a post on here a couple of years ago showing how I did mine.....

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Debris from dirty flue can cause problems at the burner,, sticky valve also often the problem usually solved with a sharp tap with hammer or spanner.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
C
Morning all

I might actually have got very lucky and fixed this myself, but not confident 🤔

This is the back of our fridge, not that you can see much

View attachment 880594View attachment 880595

I believe the first one shows the burner behind the plate (slightly bent due to me trying to see inside 🙄👍) the second I think is the gas valve I have seen mentioned on other threads

Arrived on site yesterday, no hook up, after the initial delay when turning off the ignition we got an alarm from the fridge, flashing triangle and gas symbol

We could smell gas (slightly) so fairly happy gas getting to burner, could hear it clicking so happy it had power. Pressed triangle to try again, creates a few minutes delay before alarm comes back , tried this about 10 times then turned it off for the night

Read a few threads on here and got up more confident this morning, turned fridge on, went straight to alert, no delay no thinking about it just flashing and beeping 🙁

So took what was left of my refreshed confidence out into awning (yes that’s all working very well and safari room back up 😁) took grill off, gave it a hard stare, identified above components, turned fridge on, could smell a whiff of gas and hear / see the igniter sparking, (withdrew head 😁) alarm back on, turned fridge off

Gave what I think is the valve a very gentle tap, gave the burner area a couple of lungs fulls of my best morning breath , turned fridge back on , bingo it lit 👍👍

I don’t have much confidence in it relighting when it should, but for now it will be on for a while cooling the fridge I would expect

Thinking I might just have got very lucky and blown something away from the critical burny bit 🤔
Could you just pop over to the side of the Seine and do the same to ours. I’m just going to post about it.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
For the first time since swopping the MH we are parked up in France without EHU. The fridge will not light on gas. …
The boiler and hob/cooker light ok.
I spoke to Camper U.K. who explained that it will need probably 15 minutes to settle after turning ignition off. That hasn’t worked. Done a full turn off of everything, still nothing. Triangle and blue flashing gas light showing on 3 way panel. I don’t know if it matters but we have no clicking sound.
So as well as no telly (previous post), we have no fridge, and the door step is going in and out on its own….again, and it’s sleeting.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don’t know if it matters but we have no clicking sound.

I am sure that is the key, but no idea what the solution is

We could smell a bit of gas so knew our valve was working , don’t think any amount of puff will fix this

When all else fails I do resort to multiple turn off and back on again attempts , good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back