Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Hi,

Does anyone know if the frame heater on a Dometic 3 way fridge (RMT 7655 to exact) uses the leisure batteries or vehicle battery for power.

I’m hoping leisure but just want to check.

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
What do you mean by "frame heater" ?, if you mean the 12v heating element, then that is powered by the vehicle battery when the engine is running and in some f/f's it can be via solar.
The frame heater heats the door frame around the upper freezer compartment to reduce condensation which can drip into the display PCB and fry it

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’m hoping leisure but just want to check.

It must be the leisure battery, otherwise it wouldn’t be available when you need it. However, I can’t say that definitively.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Well that's a couple of confusing answers, I didn't comment because I'm not sure....
Cheers, Dave

Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
The frame heater is automatically on when on 240v or on 12v (engine running) as it knows you have power to spare while a power supply is active. When you are on gas you need to manually turn it on with the button and then it will be running on the leisure battery

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
And it transpires that they were both correct. Why did you find them confusing?

Ian
I thought the fridge on 12v was only when the engine is running and therefore powered by the engine battery, so I am wrong? If so, today's been another learning day!
Cheers, Dave.
ps by the way @TwoonTour also said the same....

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I thought the fridge on 12v was only when the engine is running and therefore powered by the engine battery, so I am wrong? If so, today's been another learning day!
Cheers, Dave.

You are referring to the 12V heating element. The question was asking about the supply for the Frame Heater.

Ian

Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
99% of fridges run off the leisure when the engine is running, when engine is started the D+ (alternator live or simulated D+ on smart alternators) triggers a relay which lets the 12v (leisure) reach the elements in the fridge. Yes the charge is coming from the alternator but the fridge itself is nearly always on the leisure battery circuit

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The leisure battery is used to power the fridge control electronics (and , in the case of a Dometic RMT7655 , the frame heater) with the starter battery , when the engine is running , used to power the fridge 12v heater element.
Cheers, Dave.

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
You are referring to the 12V heating element. The question was asking about the supply for the Frame Heater.

Ian
Like I said -a learning day, I've never even heard of a frame heater until now.
Goodnight
Dave

OP
OP
a900ss
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
The leisure battery is used to power the fridge control electronics (and , in the case of a Dometic RMT7655 , the frame heater) with the starter battery , when the engine is running , used to power the fridge 12v heater element.
Perfect. Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The OP's van is a Hymer so the fridge will run from the leisure battery when switched to 12v so the frame heater will run from the leisure battery.

There is a changeover relay in the EBL so emwhen the engine is running g the fridge runs from the starter battery and when the
engine is not running the fridge runs from the leisure battery.

OP
OP
a900ss
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
The OP's van is a Hymer so the fridge will run from the leisure battery when switched to 12v so the frame heater will run from the leisure battery.

There is a changeover relay in the EBL so emwhen the engine is running g the fridge runs from the starter battery and when the
engine is not running the fridge runs from the leisure battery.
Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back