Domestic Reversing Camera (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have a Dometic reversing camera which is a sealed unit… however, it has moisture in it which results in effectively no visibility, just a blur.

I guess it can’t be that sealed if moisture/water has entered it, but I can see no visible means of opening it up to dry it out.

Any ideas?

IMG_5156.jpeg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reversing cameras generally have a heater to stop condensation.. yours may not, or is u/s..

Probably better just to replace it with one that has a heater

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Reversing cameras generally have a heater to stop condensation.. yours may not, or is u/s..

Probably better just to replace it with one that has a heater
It is supposed to have a heater, but guess it has stopped working. The camera is only 4 years old and wasn't keen on spending out for a replacement.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Dometic reversing camera which is a sealed unit… however, it has moisture in it which results in effectively no visibility, just a blur.

I guess it can’t be that sealed if moisture/water has entered it, but I can see no visible means of opening it up to dry it out.

Any ideas?

View attachment 871181
Has that been left standing for a long time? If it has, I wonder whether a few hours of driving wouldn't help to cause the water to a) form a single large puddle improving visibility and b) evaporate due to the action of the heater.

Also, what are those 4 indentations? Torx screws or rivets? If screws won't removing them enable you to get in behind the lens?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
is it mounted below or on the bumper .. close to the road... ? Hard to tell from your photo ..

If so, I don't think it was designed for that location..

it will be subject to heavy road spray that it may not be designed for ..

the instructions show it mounted up high .. and of note, figure 4 shows not to hose it ..

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Has that been left standing for a long time? If it has, I wonder whether a few hours of driving wouldn't help to cause the water to a) form a single large puddle improving visibility and b) evaporate due to the action of the heater.

Also, what are those 4 indentations? Torx screws or rivets? If screws won't removing them enable you to get in behind the lens?
We used the Moho 3 weeks ago and it was fine. The four “indentations are not fixings..I believe they are infrared sensors for nighttime vision.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
is it mounted below or on the bumper .. close to the road... ? Hard to tell from your photo ..

If so, I don't think it was designed for that location..

it will be subject to heavy road spray that it may not be designed for ..

the instructions show it mounted up high .. and of note, figure 4 shows not to hose it ..

The camera is mounted at high level on the rear.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you can dry it out, one way to try to seal it is to liberaly use captain tolleys creeping crack cure.

Aug 31, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class rollerteam
Exp
I’m a newbie

Any ideas?

View attachment 871181
Identical to my issue including it being on a Burstner! I have held a hairdryer on mine and the screen dries out but disappointingly picture only improves slightly for a short while . It then gets moisture on the lens again which indicates water in the unit as well as on the screen. It’s for the bin I think.! Just as we start our 2 months away . It really dogs me off when all they have to do is make it watertight It’s not rocket science .
Mine is also 4 yrs old .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Any ideas?
If you can't access the inside of the lens, use a hair dryer on the outside, close enough to heat the lens, but obviously not close enough to damage anything.
I have had success using this method to clear up moisture inside a double glazed unit. (y) You may have to do it a couple of times to dry it in full.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If you can't access the inside of the lens, use a hair dryer on the outside, close enough to heat the lens, but obviously not close enough to damage anything.
I have had success using this method to clear up moisture inside a double glazed unit. (y) You may have to do it a couple of times to dry it in full.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Tried that but no success.

I had to have it replaced at Southdowns, but rather than a quick exercise, it turned out to be a bit of a saga….

The original dealer fit ( Southdowns), used copious amount of glue/sealant which not only ensured sealing of the hole in the bodywork, but also enveloped the “quick connector”….

Net result being they had to remove the bathroom cabinets and wall covering to cut the cables and reconnect the new camera…..

When I collected the Moho following the repair, the fitter hugely complained about the original install….However, he went quiet when I pointed out that it was Southdowns who installed it…

Interestingly conversation about the final bill and in particular the labour content….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back