Does "NCC Approved" Mean Anything To You?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
I've had a press release sent to me about the NCC celebrating it's 85th Birthday. This organisation was set up to represent the maker's and dealers interests. And in that I'm sure that in this, it does a good job.

They do many things, but their main claim to fame is the Manufacturers Approval Scheme. It says the scheme is recognised throughout the industry and is proof of a manufacturer's commitment to the safety of its products and its customers.

View attachment 967959
The Badge on my Adria Twin
  • Does this badge mean anything to you?
  • Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved?
  • Is this badge something you look for when buying?

Thing is, I've written the most downloaded Motorhome Buyer's Guide in history, and I don't mention the NCC Scheme. Is this remiss of me? Should I add a few paragraphs in the next buyer's guide update?
Hi
I take it its code of practice is purely concerned with safety? Build quality doesn't come in to it? If so I wonder why.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since November 2018
  • Does this badge mean anything to you? - No, never seen it before.
  • Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved? - Yes.
  • Is this badge something you look for when buying? - No.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Quite a bit of bad press at the moment about static caravan sites and folks losing lots of money. NCC have been quoted in support of the industry and site operators.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
I wouldn't take any notice of what have to say about any product, take leisure batteries for instance, the last few years before retirement I worked for an auto parts company, I trained on and read all the manufacture's literature on all auto Batteries, NCC used the manufacture's literature, they had done no research themselves, and the reason is because they are sponsored by the manufacture's, there may have been one or two actual Batteries they did test, as I saw no proof of that, I can't say, What I did see, was them printing the manufacture's literature, and relaying that as their own, for instance, two Batteries, on top of their leisure Batteries list, which they were calling leisure Batteries, were in fact normal Lead Acid Batteries, they weren't even deep cycle Acid Batteries, but manufacture's was calling them leisure Batteries, So now I only take notice of fully independent reviewers that take no funds from the manufacture's, and I check where their funds come from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back