Does "NCC Approved" Mean Anything To You?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
If I can’t be arsed to wait for an Adria dealer to undertake warranty work, I am under the impression that I can get it done at another NCC accredited organisation without invalidating the manufactures warranty. Am I deluded?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
My van has the sticker on it prominently by the door on the fake wood panelling that would be damaged by any attempt to remove it. It's now irrelevant with the number of changes I've made to the van.

It's not as if it's any guarantee of quality or even the van being of a certain standard.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Answers:
No:
Yes:
No:

Yes; I think you should mention them in your buyers guide, as you want it to be as complete as possible.
(Salesman's patter: "Oh it's so good it's NCC approved, look it even has the sticker! ...." )

You also need to say exactly whom the NCC benefit, which is not the buyer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Very aware since the dealer lied to me saying that distance buying wouldn't be an issue for me as any NCC Approved workshop would take care of any warranty issues or habitation checks. Turned out that the van is not NCC Approved and any work will now involve a 500 miles round trip.
None of the Hymer Group brands (except Elddis) are part of the NCC Approved scheme (rather archaic 60 years old standards according to the Hymer sales chap at the NEC) but that doesn't stop them meeting all European standards. Incidentally, on the Coachman stand, Affinity vans were not present due to them failing on a couple of points during the NCC audit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If I can’t be arsed to wait for an Adria dealer to undertake warranty work, I am under the impression that I can get it done at another NCC accredited organisation without invalidating the manufactures warranty. Am I deluded?
I wouldn’t rely on it. Many dealers seem reluctant to do any warranty work unless they sold the van.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
They exist because of the subscriptions from those dealers and manufacturers. So I doubt they will want to use any kind of lever against them.
There's your entry in the guide then. Their response could be a bit problematic though

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
I'd never heard of them until I saw the sticker on our van. The salesman never gave it a mention. I'm still not much wiser as to their role and relationship to our van

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Rapido do not recognise them as an approved outfit for any of their repairs / work. They will only work with who they approve.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I'd say yes. It will depend on the individual dealer but most say you have to go to a dealer of theirs to get servicing and warranty work done.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
My question would be, who funds the NCC?
You can learn a lot about just how independent their endorsements are, by who is putting into the pot.

Geoff

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Yes, I know the organisation exists.
Yes, I would buy without.
No, not something I feel is important as they are very good at looking after the interests of their members and little else.
The obviously biased battery “endorsement” scheme tells me what sort or organisational values they have and they don’t align with what I value as a consumer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I
  • Does this badge mean anything to you?
  • Would you buy a van that is not NCC approved?
  • Is this badge something you look for when buying?
  • Yes. It represents a trade association that does not put their members client's first.
  • Yes, and I did.
  • No, in fact it would put me off.

sedge

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
My question would be, who funds the NCC?
You can learn a lot about just how independent their endorsements are, by who is putting into the pot.

Geoff
I presume, their members' subscriptions. I've been aware of them since the mid 1980s when my first husband and I were looking to buy our first caravan - or possibly before that fairly often visiting camping shops eg Jacksons of Old Arley when we were tent camping.

With second husband, we've bought two brand new motor homes, first a Bessacar then 3 years later P/Xd that for a new Pilote in 2013, that we had until my birthday this April when Reggie & Ronnie Soul stole the thing off our drive, apparently disappeared with no trace so had to invest in another one, again another Pilote but this time S/H. The Bessie was presumably NCC approved being UK made by Swift but have never even considered NCC again and doubt if it crossed either of our minds when we bought the first one either until 10 minutes ago when I checked that list and Oh look - not a Pilote to be seen.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn’t know it was anything to do with dealers.
I thought it was to do with workshops. We would look for a workshop with it in the first instance plus check reviews and word of mouth from people we know.

Must admit we didn’t know it was useless.

Would be very interested to know Jim views on it.

Was interested to read jockaneezer post about the 12v cutting out when the engine starts. Our lovely new Consort Oslo does that. It’s fine except if you stop for a wee and forget as the pump’s off too! Never had that in our IHs. UK vans.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
If there was any doubt about their priorities, here's the Consumer FAQ page from their website

Screenshot_2024-10-21-09-26-38-982_com.android.chrome.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, yes, no.

It's a trade body. On the plus side, trade bodies can be useful to businesses in facilitating communication within the trade and to represent them in dealings with Government, etc. For consumers of the trade, you can regard them as a sort of Union for businesses in that area and which can act as a club for them, particularly in terms of creative promotion and marketing when they pitch themselves as an 'authority' which should be listened to and obeyed in order to support 'jobs for their boys'. Formally, they have no authority or sanction whatsoever.

As an example, if anyone can show me the explicit UK law which compels private owners of LPG bottles for their own use to discard them at the 10 year point or somehow get them re-approved in a defined way, I'll make a donation to charity.

Dave

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I’ve noticed the badge on my motorhome when I’ve cleaned it.
It meant nothing to me and I’ve only learnt what it is from this thread.
The vehicle was purchased new, as I had no idea what it was it would not influence me in any way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back