Does anyone know what personal effects are covered in a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I had a conversation with someone today who said you are not covered for wallets or laptops etc. but surely they are personal effects !!!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It totally depends on your motorhome insurance, and maybe your home contents insurance too.

Personally, I've got an NFU policy on the van, which is cheap, but effectively car insurance, so contents cover is pretty poor. But my house policy is very thorough and covers a lot while I'm away from home.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Some like NFU offer very limited contents cover on their motorhome policies. However you may well get far better cover for personal effects on your household contents policy. Our NFU contents policy is good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It totally depends on your motorhome insurance, and maybe your home contents insurance too.

Personally, I've got an NFU policy on the van, which is cheap, but effectively car insurance, so contents cover is pretty poor. But my house policy is very thorough and covers a lot while I'm away from home.
If you have your house insurance with nfu you can get your travel insurance with it at A very reasonable price. And that will cover it.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
For us it is £1k from LV. We have most items listed for being insured away from home on our house insurance. Like all insurance policies, the Devil is in the detail. Take time and care to read through all of the exclusions.
Safe and happy travels

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I only have my van insurance because I have to by law, no other insurance whatsoever….

Ooh nearly a lie, I have breakdown health and phone with nationwide…

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have found an insurance company 300 quid cheaper for the motorhome but no personal effects covered. Thank you guys for the information we will check the household insurance which is also due for renewal at the same time. How convenient is that!! We usually go with Comfort but Mr Gina M checked out Ripe after seeing it on here and they are cheaper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We are back with Comfort. After submitting all of our details online the quote went up to £788.00. It is true Comfort don't insure mobile phones or laptops and only insure up to 400 quid per personal effect item. I suppose that is thanks to the knobs putting in claims for 5 grand watches.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We are back with Comfort. After submitting all of our details online the quote went up to £788.00. It is true Comfort don't insure mobile phones or laptops and only insure up to 400 quid per personal effect item. I suppose that is thanks to the knobs putting in claims for 5 grand watches.
I cannot imagine any insurance company stumping up for a 5k watch if it is left in a motorhome. It should IMHO be a named item on a home insurance policy with cover when away from the home. I certainly wouldn't be leaving one unattended in our MH. Seems a fair price for your cover from what you say.
Safe and happy travels.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My iPads and kindles were covered by vans insurance but on £500 total, so not brilliant, I found out after a break-in in 2017

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't think we would ever take more than £500 in personal things likely to get stolen another option is leave any posh stuff at home in a safe and buy a £10 watch and £100 android phone.
It's not worth paying an insurance company to take the gamble on carrying anything expensive around that being said we don't have any flashy stuff anyway.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We have found an insurance company 300 quid cheaper for the motorhome but no personal effects covered. Thank you guys for the information we will check the household insurance which is also due for renewal at the same time. How convenient is that!! We usually go with Comfort but Mr Gina M checked out Ripe after seeing it on here and they are cheaper.
What are Ripe’s excesses like? Their Photo gear insurance has very poor excesses

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What are Ripe’s excesses like? Their Photo gear insurance has very poor excesses
What do you mean by a poor excess? I generally go for insurance with a big excess if they have an attractive premium as I'd sooner accept a fair bit of the risk myself. I suspect that they offer good premiums to people taking some of the risk themselves as apart from their being less to pay out if there is a claim people taking some risk themselves would tend to be more careful.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
As I understand from LV personal contents of the motorhome is anything that is not permanently fixed bedding, pots pans etc. the rest phones iPads cameras etc house insurance.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What do you mean by a poor excess? I generally go for insurance with a big excess if they have an attractive premium as I'd sooner accept a fair bit of the risk myself. I suspect that they offer good premiums to people taking some of the risk themselves as apart from their being less to pay out if there is a claim people taking some risk themselves would tend to be more careful.
High, I don’t see the point of having insurance if you have to pay too much in a claim.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
High, I don’t see the point of having insurance if you have to pay too much in a claim.
It depends on what you're covering. Take car insurance for instance I think we have had one claim in 40 years that was not at fault and cost nothing. If you take a £500 voluntary excess on two policies and get say a £20 reduction in premium on each why not .
Would you insure an item costing say £200 if not why would you not accept a £200 excess on an item that costs a lot you are reducing your possible loss to an amount you could afford to lose and provided a reduction in premium reflects taking that risk yourself it's a worthwhile saving.
Insurance is gambling. You are paying someone to take the risk of a possible claim they are gambling that on average there will be less claims than the premiums collected after allowing for all their business expenses staff advertising and a profit. Clearly the more risk you accept yourself the more you're likely to save.
Some do struggle with that concept my mother in law for instance tends to want all risks cover on everything. But as she has never claimed I'm pretty sure over the years her insurance costs would add up to more than she would claim if she had a really big claim now.
It's different on things like third party claims on car insurance and the house where if you lost it you could be bankrupt but id still take a big excess on those.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Who needs a 5k watch? My ancient £2.50 Casio tells the time just as well!
Some people like them. Certain watches make a good long-term investmen. But, fair dues, it is not to tell the time. A quartz watch is more than adequate for that. Each to their own.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Some people like them. Certain watches make a good long-term investmen. But, fair dues, it is not to tell the time. A quartz watch is more than adequate for that. Each to their own.
I can sort of almost see the attraction of a Rolex as a jewellery item but I wouldn't pay a lot for insurance to take expensive jewellery on holiday I'd keep it safe at home.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

Personal effects cover whilst away is usually an option on your home insurance. Obviously it will pay more and often there is an excess. you have to decide what is worth paying.

We have breakdown and travel insurance with Nationwide bank as part of the flex plus bank account and that includes mobile phone cover but there is a £100 excess and as my phone is only worth £110 it's pretty much pointless.

We have a laptop (£350) 2 cheapish phones, 2 cheapish tablets in our van when travelling. Given I haven't claimed on any insurance for 20 years I am of the opinion getting cheap insurance with basic cover is probably financially more beneficial. Effectively self insure!

Really my only insurance concern is to cover should the house burn down while I am away. Everything else is just a risk worth taking as the risk is so low and costs involved for replacing not astronomical.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Personal effects cover whilst away is usually an option on your home insurance. Obviously it will pay more and often there is an excess. you have to decide what is worth paying.

We have breakdown and travel insurance with Nationwide bank as part of the flex plus bank account and that includes mobile phone cover but there is a £100 excess and as my phone is only worth £110 it's pretty much pointless.

We have a laptop (£350) 2 cheapish phones, 2 cheapish tablets in our van when travelling. Given I haven't claimed on any insurance for 20 years I am of the opinion getting cheap insurance with basic cover is probably financially more beneficial. Effectively self insure!

Really my only insurance concern is to cover should the house burn down while I am away. Everything else is just a risk worth taking as the risk is so low and costs involved for replacing not astronomical.
Same as us more or less except we often travel without laptops or tablets these days and just use the phones and a couple of old kindles. I suspect if we got broken into they'd be very disappointed!

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had a conversation with someone today who said you are not covered for wallets or laptops etc. but surely they are personal effects !! you're policy should list what you are covered for and also exception's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back