Does anyone know much about Luton vans? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I think the distance between the chassis rails will be the limitations of swapping the body to a different manufacturer

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Needs to be a low sub chassis to keep the floor of the box as low as poss

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I've driven a few, years back, not aerodynamic and you lose usable space above cab. We were parked next to a converted transit last year, the couple needed big steps to get in and out. Also lost space at chassis height where we would have lockers.
Plenty of lowloader Luton vans, that’s the one to go for, saying that Gromett have you thought about an ex 7.5t or beter a 12 t removal vehicle, they are great base vehicles 👍

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
One of the lowest is on the renault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Needs to be a low sub chassis to keep the floor of the box as low as poss

Plenty of lowloader Luton vans, that’s the one to go for, saying that Gromett have you thought about an ex 7.5t or beter a 12 t removal vehicle, they are great base vehicles 👍

Low loaders are less likely to be swapable because of the location of the wheels and ancillaries. I also want the higher box for a few other reasons.

I won't be looking at 7.5T as I let my C1 lapse as I never used it anymore. I am a post 97 license holder so have to take a medical every 5 years from age 45.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think the distance between the chassis rails will be the limitations of swapping the body to a different manufacturer
I doubt the distance between them is likely to be much different between manufacturers as it is dictated by wheel spacing?

That said. I can weld and am not adverse to getting stuck in with adapter plates...

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ex delivery fridge vans look pretty cheap although high mileage

Way too much work on the side doors. Box is fairly small. Not full height. I will be looking for a full 4Mtr box, full height, plain white with roller shutter and on LWB.

But thanks for the suggestion. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Amazing .That would be around 20,000€ at least here, & with that mileage but in kms

I'd be looking for a either a delivery van with insulated side panels & roof but without odd doors in sides or a removal truck that is built on the lower floor chassis vans like mentioned .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I am going to be buying and converting a Luton van next.

I have a few questions.

The main one is this. How interchangeable are the boxes?
For example will a Box off a Ford fit on an Iveco, or a box off a Merc fit on a Fiat?

ok. Reasoning. I am looking at a Luton for 2 main reason.
Nice big square box is easier to build in than a panel van.
If the van lets me down I can swap the box onto a different chassis.

If the boxes are interchangeable I won't be too fussy about my first van and pay more attention to the box. I have the space and means to swap boxes here so I am not bothered about the actual swapping if it becomes necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Hi.
I am sure you to have seen the old " Luton van Horse boxes "........ Being " Rehomed ?" on a newer/different
:rolleyes: chassis. I would imagine there would be no drawbacks.
While your at it ( You have started so you can finish.... ) and your licence covers you...... Fit gear that enables you to drop it and drive away from underneath it,( REMEMBERED THE WORD..... Demountable....DOH !! ) then when changing cab/chassis, you can sort it easier the second time . Best of luck,keep photo's coming.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fit gear that enables you to drop it and drive away from underneath it,( REMEMBERED THE WORD..... Demountable....DOH !! )
Yes, that was a consideration. But I wouldn't be using it a lot. Perhaps at MOT and when moving chassis. So a lot of work and quite a bit of weight for something I would rarely use.
It is on the cards though.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Have a look at this on on ebay is half way there

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Screenshot_20240815-142001.pngI like the look of this stream lined Luton

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Love the colour!😄

View attachment 935890I like the look of this stream lined Luton
Even better 😆 imagine a big Funsters smile face on the side. 😁

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Why not just make your own box to suit whichever chassis configuration you want. You’re changing most of the Luton bit anyway so why pay the premium. You would also be able to make it a proper insulated structural box. SVA would be fairly simple if the base vehicle wasn’t changed much.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why not just make your own box to suit whichever chassis configuration you want. You’re changing most of the Luton bit anyway so why pay the premium. You would also be able to make it a proper insulated structural box. SVA would be fairly simple if the base vehicle wasn’t changed much.
I am happy with the box that comes with them. Making my own would be hellishly expensive.
All I will be doing is resealing it then adding 50mm celotex with 100mm celotex top and floor.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
On a serious note, have you looked into buying a container ?
20' long, 8' wide and upto 9'6" high.

That would give you more than enough space to make a habitation module
A basic container weighs about 2.5t before you add the internals.
Which means I'd guess that adding a base vehicle would get to up to the 6-7t area.
Still within the C1 licence permissions.

It would also be a fairly simple thing to change the base vehicle, so you could afford to fit out the habitation area nicely and simply change the base vehicle every few years as required.
You could even 'park' the habitation module anywhere you liked without the base vehicle.

Plenty of 4x4 & 4x6 options here, but it does not need to be a serious Overlander.
A 20' TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent Unit, a standard 20' Container) would fit on the back of a normal supermarket delivery van.

1723751135207.png

1723751440494.png

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Which means I'd guess that adding a base vehicle would get to up to the 6-7t area.

It would also be a fairly simple thing to change the base vehicle, so you could afford to fit out the habitation area nicely and simply change the base vehicle every few years as required.
You could even 'park' the habitation module anywhere you liked without the base vehicle.
Hi Brains.
I have another fiendishly clever idea to go with yours. A Beaver tailed unit....If the money runs to it a Tilt model with winch..... SORTED... When you wren't swanning around foreign parts... You could earn a few bob on " Breakdown Rescue " work............ Every little helps.
Tea Bag.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi Brains.
I have another fiendishly clever idea to go with yours. A Beaver tailed unit....If the money runs to it a Tilt model with winch..... SORTED... When you wren't swanning around foreign parts... You could earn a few bob on " Breakdown Rescue " work............ Every little helps.
Tea Bag.
OK, better still, fit standard container twist lock castor wheels to the container.

And with a tilt bed and a winch you could self load/unload the container.
Work days doing breakdown deliveries (motorhomes preferred!)

Nights you sleep in the container habitation unit and move on when needed!

I see Bliss (and others) do short 13', 15' and 18' containers as well as the standard 20'

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Plenty of 4x4 & 4x6 options here, but it does not need to be a serious Overlander.
A 20' TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent Unit, a standard 20' Container) would fit on the back of a normal supermarket delivery van.

View attachment 936039

View attachment 936041

I am sticking with 3.5T. I honestly just want a nice simple square box to build in rather than a curved van. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get my C1 back nor having to renew it every 5 years for very little actual real benefit.
The extra height is a major plus.

The ONLY reason I am asking about the swap is. I did a self build which I lived in happily for many years. I lost that to catastrophic rust problems that were uneconomical and impractical to repair.
Being able to swap the box means I don't have to fear the MOT ever again.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I am sticking with 3.5T. I honestly just want a nice simple square box to build in rather than a curved van. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get my C1 back nor having to renew it every 5 years for very little actual real benefit.
The extra height is a major plus.

The ONLY reason I am asking about the swap is. I did a self build which I lived in happily for many years. I lost that to catastrophic rust problems that were uneconomical and impractical to repair.
Being able to swap the box means I don't have to fear the MOT ever again.
A hab unit built inside a container you really could swap from vehicle to vehicle inside a hour.

Which means the rust issue (or the need to run whatever fuel/EV the government of the day mandate) becomes a non-issue, you simply move your habitation container to a new vehicle, you could actually 'afford' to do it every couple of years if needed.

However, I'm afraid even a 13' or 15' container, when fully loaded with kit, water, food, fuel etc, even on an Iveco Daily or similar base vehicle is going to be close to the 7.5t/C1 licence limit.

I think a 6m Luton van is going to have similar issues, you will struggle to get it all under 3.5t, especially if you insulate it
That said, buy a Luton Transit, go to IKEA, get a cheap bed, a table and chairs, and a single kitchen unit with a stove and fridge and you are sorted!

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
A hab unit built inside a container you really could swap from vehicle to vehicle inside a hour.

Which means the rust issue (or the need to run whatever fuel/EV the government of the day mandate) becomes a non-issue, you simply move your habitation container to a new vehicle, you could actually 'afford' to do it every couple of years if needed.

However, I'm afraid even a 13' or 15' container, when fully loaded with kit, water, food, fuel etc, even on an Iveco Daily or similar base vehicle is going to be close to the 7.5t/C1 licence limit.

I think a 6m Luton van is going to have similar issues, you will struggle to get it all under 3.5t, especially if you insulate it
That said, buy a Luton Transit, go to IKEA, get a cheap bed, a table and chairs, and a single kitchen unit with a stove and fridge and you are sorted!
I tend to disagree with the weight issue. I believe a type of 'kingspan' insulation would provide a very rigid backing to enable a lighter interior sheet material to be used as a wall. When I look at a Luton van I think it's main positive is you could design and build an interior without unessential bulk and weight?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

As I said. I am sticking to the 3.5T limit.

The Kerb weight of the Lutons I am looking at are 2.3 - 2.5T. That leaves me plenty of overhead to build.
I have the option to remove the heavy roller shutter doors to regain some weight if necessary.

Insulation will be around 80KG with 50mm all around. Most vans have 25mm or there abouts.

I can build light and good quality. I have never been anywhere near IKEA and I won't be going now, thanks for the suggestion though :moon2: .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back