Does ANYBODY love their Fiamma privacy room? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
Does anyone use a PR regularly and find the pros outweigh the cons?

Having decided a set of panels to hang off the Fiamma F45 awning would be very useful - I’ve been following current discussions on Fiamma PR vs Quest Screen House - lots of votes for the Screen House and none for Fiamma!

That lead me to watch the Fiamma video of two people putting up a privacy room - I was a bit daunted by that, especially as I’ll be travelling solo most of the time. And it’s quite a bulky bag.

The plan is to travel off grid for up to 9 months a year - I expect there will be quite a lot of times I’ll be staying in one place for a few days or more - so the idea of a PR that encloses the habitation door is appealing.

So - the key question:
Does anyone use a PR regularly and find the pros outweigh the cons?

OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
The Lily Pad screens are good and will keep some rain out-not driving rain tho.
The poles-one either side (on ours)were a bit flimsy so we found some stronger ones, also the only real drawback I can think of is when the wind gets up with any strength you will have to take the awning in.
Having always said I don’t like fixed awnings on our van we bought a Porch awning this winter, what a difference, 2metre square, easy & quick to put up, protects the hab door and plenty of room for wet coats, muddy boots or even sitting out in! Slides into the rail on the wind-out awning.
Probably suit your needs, plenty big enough, not too heavy or big to carry and easy to handle.
💡! Thank you Shrimp - your straightforward comment and description has pointed me in what I think is the right direction 👏

Other people have highlighted smaller lightweight add ons like Kampa - but your description of how you use the Porch was a light bulb moment, clarifying my vague thoughts.

Lightweight - compact - inexpensive - easy to put up - multifunctional - Perfect!
What make did you buy?

I can see a lot of brands - SunnCamp, Bridgeford, Maypole, Kampa, Quest, Isabella, Royal Wellbeck etc - so now I need to check all of those out!

Adventure Overland show tomorrow may have some, but Peterborough show next week should have plenty to look at.

Be interested in peoples opinions on best Porch brands.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We use our fiamma safari room mainly so the dogs can sleep there.
We had it from the swift 12 years ago and it's still solid.
It's a useful bit of space, but I get nervous if it looks like it's going to be windy, then the dogs sleep in an old mountaineering tent.

The "divorce in a bag" takes about 20 minutes - useful to mark each rail to site it easily.

Would I buy another one? No.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Do you mean off grid as in wildcamping if so they are a no go 🤔
The whole motorhome scene is brand new to me - for the last 40 years my travelling has been by motorcycle, usually with a tent, always wild camping, mostly around Europe - sometimes USA or SE Asia.

So I’m just changing the motorcycle for a motorhome (70th birthday next week) and plan to carry on doing much the same kind of thing.

Winters likely to be North Africa or Turkey, summers around Europe.

When biking I would usually move on every one or two days - but sometimes I’d find somewhere I wanted to hang out for a while - sometimes in the wilds, sometimes with European friends, sometimes with other travellers - this is the scenario I was imagining some kind of add on would be useful.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We bought our fiama PR second hand. We/I only put it up if we stop in the same place for more than 5 days. Being ex-tuggers, it’s not that bad to put up/take down. And we only take it with us on those such occasions. Only payed £200 for it second hand in 2020, so not bothered about getting rid. Only thing that bugs me is the side panels as you have to use the fancy clamp awning guide thingy even if you want to put the sides up. So I’m looking for some lightweight side blockers.
IMG_5123.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I dont think there can be any 'pros and cons' for motorhoming stuff (if there was then most of us wouldnt have bought a van to start with😁) if anything works for the individual then it's fine 👍

I go away a lot without any awning used but.....
I used to use a massive race awning when I was racing
For owners club weekends, friend get togethers and car shows I used an omnistor room because my van was HQ for my group
On my current van I had to modify my room to fit a fiamma awning which was also bigger than my last van
I am no longer HQ for the events and I rarely race now so I sold the race awning and driveaway..I still have the omnistor room in case the house move means we are on a campsite for a lengthy period.
I cant store any awning in the new property because it's not big enough but if I still had the room I would have kept them all. Dont EVER buy them new as they are ridiculous money
I could get the omnistor room up in 30 mins with the boss's help and about the same without it 🤦‍♂️
If you get an awning really cheap, can store it for nothing and put it up when you want to then who cares if it's only used once a year because that once might be the best weekend of your year 👍
Disagree with you here, they are a great investment bought mine brand new years ago, still going strong, worth every penny, must have increased in value

as its only been used once 🫣🫣🫣😄

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The whole motorhome scene is brand new to me - for the last 40 years my travelling has been by motorcycle, usually with a tent, always wild camping, mostly around Europe - sometimes USA or SE Asia.

So I’m just changing the motorcycle for a motorhome (70th birthday next week) and plan to carry on doing much the same kind of thing.

When biking I would usually move on every one or two days - but sometimes I’d find somewhere I wanted to hang out for a while - sometimes in the wilds, sometimes with European friends, sometimes with other travellers - this is the scenario I was imagining some kind of add on would be useful.
Happy birthday for next week, if your on sites fine to use but not wilde camping as it looks like your setting up home. Many people find they never use them maybe consider a windbreaker cheaper and less weight and room to store
Have you bought your van yet and if so get onto a rally, loads of helpful.advice there.
Try not to spend too much cash on 'essentials' that you really think you need straight away, if your a biker you can travel very light and spend on the stuff you DO really need as you decide what is important.
I have bought very little as the van was fully equipped, you should see what cr@p really useful stuff is in my bricks and mortar garage at home.
enjoy hope to see you in a field/ up a mountain somewhere soon

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years

if you want to look at a set of fiamma panels you care welcome to come over and look at the ones i have, and see if you think they would be what you want, they are a bit bulky and fairly heavy

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've had the full set, Fiamma 4.5 Zip, Lilypad Windblockers and now the Quest. Which do I like the best?
Without a doubt it's the Fiamma 4.5 Zip full awning, takes about 3/4 an hour to put up with double pegging the bottom and awning straps.
Pros: it's warm especially if you have a skirt under the van side, if pegged down as described it won't go anywhere in high winds. Very spacious. Can just step out of the van into the awning.
Cons: Weight and bulk which is why we don't take it now that we've had to down plate the van to 3500kg.
The Lilypad Windblocker takes about the same time to put up but I use the Fiamma Zip poles to give a better structure. I peg down all round and use awning straps.
Pros: Just as spacious as the Fiamma, keeps the wind and rain off provided it's not too strong. As with the Fiamma, you can just step out of the van into the awning. Light weight, less bulky than the Fiamma.
Cons: Not particularly warm in winter, not as robust as the Fiamma although I have never had to take it down due to the wind. Can get draughts round the sides.
Quest 4 is what we now take with us.
Pros: Quick and easy to erect and take down. Folds away into its own bag.
Pros: Speed of putting up and taking down and can be packed away in its own bag even if wet. No other poles or awning straps required.
Cons: Smaller than the other two, have to go outside of the van to gain access to the Quest which if it's raining and you are carrying food back and forward is a bit of a nuisance. Although it fits in its own bag, that bag is quite long and you may have difficulty finding somewhere to store it in the van. Some sites will charge extra for having a pup tent i.e. the Quest, whereas generally there is no charge for an awning.

Conclusion: I would prefer the Fiamma awning every time especially if we were pitched up for a week. It gives so much more room and protection but as I said it comes at a price - weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
if you want to look at a set of fiamma panels you care welcome to come over and look at the ones i have, and see if you think they would be what you want, they are a bit bulky and fairly heavy
Thank you Chatteris - I think the opinions given by the Funsters are leading me down the route of a lightweight porch 😎

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
We've had the full set, Fiamma 4.5 Zip, Lilypad Windblockers and now the Quest. Which do I like the best?
Without a doubt it's the Fiamma 4.5 Zip full awning, takes about 3/4 an hour to put up with double pegging the bottom and awning straps.
Pros: it's warm especially if you have a skirt under the van side, if pegged down as described it won't go anywhere in high winds. Very spacious. Can just step out of the van into the awning.
Cons: Weight and bulk which is why we don't take it now that we've had to down plate the van to 3500kg.
The Lilypad Windblocker takes about the same time to put up but I use the Fiamma Zip poles to give a better structure. I peg down all round and use awning straps.
Pros: Just as spacious as the Fiamma, keeps the wind and rain off provided it's not too strong. As with the Fiamma, you can just step out of the van into the awning. Light weight, less bulky than the Fiamma.
Cons: Not particularly warm in winter, not as robust as the Fiamma although I have never had to take it down due to the wind. Can get draughts round the sides.
Quest 4 is what we now take with us.
Pros: Quick and easy to erect and take down. Folds away into its own bag.
Pros: Speed of putting up and taking down and can be packed away in its own bag even if wet. No other poles or awning straps required.
Cons: Smaller than the other two, have to go outside of the van to gain access to the Quest which if it's raining and you are carrying food back and forward is a bit of a nuisance. Although it fits in its own bag, that bag is quite long and you may have difficulty finding somewhere to store it in the van. Some sites will charge extra for having a pup tent i.e. the Quest, whereas generally there is no charge for an awning.

Conclusion: I would prefer the Fiamma awning every time especially if we were pitched up for a week. It gives so much more room and protection but as I said it comes at a price - weight.
Thank you for that comprehensive review 🙏

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you Chatteris - I think the opinions given by the Funsters are leading me down the route of a lightweight porch 😎
thats what I did in the end. We did have the full Zip F45 full zip, like thetwoofus report above, but just to heavy, too long to put up and too long to take down. A good product no doubt but needs a lot of care for little reward if you move every couple days aswell.

Upvote 0

mofurt

Free Member
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Interesting thread. We've just got the wind out awning, and use it occasionally - either to block the sun if it's too hot, or very occasionally in the rain (angled slightly so water runs off, but wary of wind in bad weather).
The time walls would be really useful is like the day we cycled to the next town over, and got caught in heavy rain coming back. The bikes sat under the awning, and we hung stuff up to drip dry from it, but with no walls and wind and rain it wasn't ideal.
Lightweight walls would be useful then - with the caveat that we'd have to watch for the wind getting up. I can't see us using walls often enough to be worth more than a carrier bag sized space.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Bridgeford Week-ended 260 Tall.
If you do a lot of Wildcamping you won’t be using an awning of any description-advertises where you are and what you’re doing which definitely, in UK, will get you moved on at the very least!

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
We have a dometic camp room 3.5m, if away for 3 days or more use, takes me 45mins to erect, used extensively, bulky item but split the contents down, a mate who sails made me bags for the metal side runs, works for us, and I accept not everyone’s cup of tea, an option we like been used multiple times as an outside bedroom, our evening space, hope helps

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
We got an Isabella Buddy and first used it this last week.

IMG_5261.jpeg

About 15 mins to put up when you know what you are doing, longest time is pegging and getting the awning taught. Isabella is great quality and there are lots of options for opening a side or door or veranda.

We use ours with the storm ties for the awning and it is pretty solid. That said the magnets which clip on the roof popped off in the gusty wind so i used some clips instead and that was fine.

Postcats on youtube have a video of assembly if anyone is interested.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back