Does ANYBODY love their Fiamma privacy room? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
Does anyone use a PR regularly and find the pros outweigh the cons?

Having decided a set of panels to hang off the Fiamma F45 awning would be very useful - I’ve been following current discussions on Fiamma PR vs Quest Screen House - lots of votes for the Screen House and none for Fiamma!

That lead me to watch the Fiamma video of two people putting up a privacy room - I was a bit daunted by that, especially as I’ll be travelling solo most of the time. And it’s quite a bulky bag.

The plan is to travel off grid for up to 9 months a year - I expect there will be quite a lot of times I’ll be staying in one place for a few days or more - so the idea of a PR that encloses the habitation door is appealing.

So - the key question:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We used one when in Spain but we were parked up for around 5 months, when we stopped going for that length of time we sold it.
They take too long to put up just for a few days and are also very heavy.
We now use a lightweight Kampa caravan awning for Spain and also if we intend staying somewhere for a couple of weeks which is usually only once a year.
9D7B1647-3FDE-45A0-9B68-500DC1D782C3.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I can't see the point of them on a motorhome.
The whole point of having a motorhome is you never need to stay in one place longer than 2-3 days.
(I think our record is 5 days)

They make sense on a caravan.
Where you usually stay for multiple days or even weeks, in the same place.

If you think you need a safari room, then you probably need a caravan!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
When I caravanned I always found the awning was all the worst things about having a tent. Draughty, cold, an absolute pain to put up and take down and if you had to dry it, what a nightmare!

Only ever used to use one when pitched up for a week or more in the good weather. Then it was actually useful, otherwise a pain in the backside.

We don’t even use the awning much on the current van. Had it out for one night in the last two weeks of being in the van. I wouldn’t bother with one if it wasn’t already fitted when we got the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Having decided a set of panels to hang off the Fiamma F45 awning would be very useful - I’ve been following current discussions on Fiamma PR vs Quest Screen House - lots of votes for the Screen House and none for Fiamma!

That lead me to watch the Fiamma video of two people putting up a privacy room - I was a bit daunted by that, especially as I’ll be travelling solo most of the time. And it’s quite a bulky bag.

The plan is to travel off grid for up to 9 months a year - I expect there will be quite a lot of times I’ll be staying in one place for a few days or more - so the idea of a PR that encloses the habitation door is appealing.

So - the key question:
There are usually lots for sale - hardly used. My theory is people buy them failing to appreciate the difference between a caravan holiday and a motorhome holiday.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I dont think there can be any 'pros and cons' for motorhoming stuff (if there was then most of us wouldnt have bought a van to start with😁) if anything works for the individual then it's fine 👍

I go away a lot without any awning used but.....
I used to use a massive race awning when I was racing
For owners club weekends, friend get togethers and car shows I used an omnistor room because my van was HQ for my group
On my current van I had to modify my room to fit a fiamma awning which was also bigger than my last van
I am no longer HQ for the events and I rarely race now so I sold the race awning and driveaway..I still have the omnistor room in case the house move means we are on a campsite for a lengthy period.
I cant store any awning in the new property because it's not big enough but if I still had the room I would have kept them all. Dont EVER buy them new as they are ridiculous money
I could get the omnistor room up in 30 mins with the boss's help and about the same without it 🤦‍♂️
If you get an awning really cheap, can store it for nothing and put it up when you want to then who cares if it's only used once a year because that once might be the best weekend of your year 👍

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We used them with the caravan they were always a pain to put up and take down. We have never bothered with the MH though. But I agree with busbuddy If you want one go for it, give it a try(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Upvote 1
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
my bessacar came with the privacy panels but no poles the panels are quite heavy and apart from getting them out to have a look at them they have sat in the shed and probably wont ever be used as we mainly wild camp and move on each day, thought about getting a sunscreen panel but have never used the awning yet in nearly 4 years

Upvote 1

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

So - the key question:
Do you mean off grid as in wildcamping if so they are a no go 🤔

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I can't see the point of them on a motorhome.
The whole point of having a motorhome is you never need to stay in one place longer than 2-3 days.
(I think our record is 5 days)

They make sense on a caravan.
Where you usually stay for multiple days or even weeks, in the same place.

If you think you need a safari room, then you probably need a caravan!
not one size fits all

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We've had several and ended up with the ultra light version which packed down fairly small. However it got ripped to pieces on a Spanish windy winter day. Was OK for the summer. We now have a Thule Panorama Room for long stay Spanish winter holidays and it's great. Indestructible, airy and quite easy to assemble. Tried the air beam awnings, good but bulky and dark. Use Thule panels for the summer stays.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mostly use the windout ss a sunshade but do have lilypad windblockers, light and fit in a carrier bag. We also have a fiamma front screen which also acts as a tie down as well as extendind the shade.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The Lily Pad screens are good and will keep some rain out-not driving rain tho.
The poles-one either side (on ours)were a bit flimsy so we found some stronger ones, also the only real drawback I can think of is when the wind gets up with any strength you will have to take the awning in.
Having always said I don’t like fixed awnings on our van we bought a Porch awning this winter, what a difference, 2metre square, easy & quick to put up, protects the hab door and plenty of room for wet coats, muddy boots or even sitting out in! Slides into the rail on the wind-out awning.
Probably suit your needs, plenty big enough, not too heavy or big to carry and easy to handle.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The quests are good but still bulky to store and obviously you don't get protected when going to/from your MH unless you buy the expensive extra joining piece.

We've had a few caravan porch awnings picked up cheaply from car boots, eBay, Gumtree etc and found we just didn't use them in the end as we rarely stay anywhere long enough to make it worthwhile and/or they weren't allowed.

I'd just go for a caravan porch awning, they are cheaper and some are really easy to put up, even solo not air ones though as they can be bulky and heavy, stick with the pole ones.

One important thing to make sure of is that they aren't going to prevent you using your hab door as some awnings (MH ones rather than caravan) have quite a steep angled roof so you can't open it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add, off all the awning we had we found the one with a single upside down 'U' pole (well more a square 'U'!) by far the easiests and quickest to put up/take down, this sort of design:

We had the older version of the Easiporch:

Awning 3.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Love our panorama room, but it’s Thule not Fiamma so maybe not useful as reference to putting up, I do think the Thule has lighter panels

We often put up the sides only, fully pegged down it gives us 100% confidence in leaving it out , just sliding in the front panels if it gets chilly or rains a lot

Ours has so much use in 6 years ownership that it needed repairs to some of the beading last year, we would buy another 👍

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Anyone with views on the new Isabella Buddy awning? I assume it has the same drawbacks as these other roll out awning attached versions - but looks heavier duty (the Fiamma one always looks wrinkly to me) and the amount of room it gives seems (IMHO) much better than any free standing awning.
Also, ATM I put up some wind breaks which takes 20 mins or so, so if this is similar time then I am not losing anything.
None second hand yet as they are brand new.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Mostly use the windout ss a sunshade but do have lilypad windblockers, light and fit in a carrier bag. We also have a fiamma front screen which also acts as a tie down as well as extendind the shade.
That’s interesting - when using just the front screen as a tie down, I guess that means you can tolerate stronger breezes before needing to wind in the awning?

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
That’s interesting - when using just the front screen as a tie down, I guess that means you can tolerate stronger breezes before needing to wind in the awning?
I guess it depends upon how lucky you feel……..! ;)
Leaving any awning out is a risk - much more so if you’re not there, or asleep…..but life is full of risks, and it’s the sudden ‘squally’ gusts of wind that can create havoc……☹️

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
When we had out t/a caravan we had a full size Dorema awning but after two years gave up on it settling for a Isabella porch awning from flea bay. Quick to erect and take down.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back