Does anybody in Europe ever check whether one has travel insurance? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I am on the ferry Newhaven-Dieppe Monday for just a short trip to Normandy. I have managed to sort a single trip policy today but with slight difficulty effecting payment because of the IT glitch from yesterday. That leads me to wonder does anybody ever check whether you have travel insurance on this or other ferry services? I can see circumstances in which IT problems or lack of wifi might make it impossible to sort insurance at the last minute or perhaps your existing policy lapsed and you failed to spot it!

To my mind it is not worth the risk of doing it deliberately but if the choice is between making the ferry or going online with a dodgy signal from the terminal car park and missing that ferry it would be good to know whether anybody ever checks? If not one could shop around online over a beer after disembarkation in France to get the best deal.

Chris

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
Since 2015
A tad confused over what insurance you are concerned about. Travel (health and accident) insurance isn't compulsory, although strongly advised, or do you mean vehicle insurance for use abroad?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
A tad confused over what insurance you are concerned about. Travel (health and accident) insurance isn't compulsory, although strongly advised, or do you mean vehicle insurance for use abroad?

I think they mean do they check when the policy was actually taken out - before the trip started or after. Certainly, in the event of a claim against travel insurance, they would check and would want proof that it started before the journey.

OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I said and meant vanilla flavoured travel insurance not breakdown insurance or vehicle insurance.

If you read all the guff about entry requirements Border Control can refuse you entry on the basis that you do not have adequate financial support and I thing travel insurance is somewhere on their list. Hence my question.

Good point Lenny but surely you should be able to renew an annual policy that is about to lapse or take out a fresh single trip policy while abroad if circumstances mean that you are extending your stay.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Some countries (Cuba springs to mind) do have a requirement to have health insurance in place before entry and have a separate desk to check your documents before entry. I personally think we should do exactly the same here. In Europe it's up to people if they take insurance or not personally I think only a fool would travel without it. The problem with allowing people to take out insurance when they're already abroad would be the ones who take it out one day and conveniently have an accident the next ( with injuries that look a day old!)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I said and meant vanilla flavoured travel insurance not breakdown insurance or vehicle insurance.

If you read all the guff about entry requirements Border Control can refuse you entry on the basis that you do not have adequate financial support and I thing travel insurance is somewhere on their list. Hence my question.

Good point Lenny but surely you should be able to renew an annual policy that is about to lapse or take out a fresh single trip policy while abroad if circumstances mean that you are extending your stay.
An annual policy could be renewed.

You wouldn’t be able to take out a new single trip policy whilst abroad if you just fancied staying longer, as Lenny says the rules still apply, whether you could phone and ask to extend your policy and pay a fee, worth a try, but no idea if it would work.

Actually I’m wrong. I’ve just found a company who will do it. Big Cat Travel Insurance, part of Allianz. Goodness knows the cost but looks like it’s aimed at the more adventurous traveller usually. You have to usually be a UK resident. Doesn’t cover for the first 48 hrs after you take it out, I presume to avoid it being abused by people who might only take it out after they actually might use it.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Travel insurance (for health) is normally only mandatory when a visa is required, so no checks entering European Union for UK residents, but sensible to have it regardless.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
No one checks or bothers until you need it.
At which point the insurance company will go over it with microscopic detail and look for any way they can worm their way out of it.

Presumably to prevent fraudulent claims, which would result in higher premiums for those seeking to insure correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My uncle went to visit family in Canada a number of years ago and died whilst there, he forgot to get his insurance before he left UK.
The family in Canada spent thousands on medical and getting his body back home.the family in Scotland were supposed to reimburse them when they sold his house,they didn't it cause such a lot of trouble within the families and still bitter and unpaid to this day 😞. If you can afford the holiday you can afford the insurance.I have my GHIC card when I go to Spain in the winter months but also take out health insurance for the uncovered event.
Good luck on your trip and enjoy.
Cheers Cris 🍻.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My mum (91 at the time) came to stay with us (well in the next doors apartment that I'd rented for her and my brother). She paid over £350 for two weeks insurance, but she was happy that she was covered.

I paid the accommodation, my brother paid for the flights, so her £350 for her peace of mind was well worth it 👍

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That leads me to wonder does anybody ever check whether you have travel insurance on this or other ferry services?
I've never had anyone check but if they did and I didn't have health insurance I could prove that I have sufficient funds to pay for any health (or undertakers') charges.
if the choice is between making the ferry or going online with a dodgy signal from the terminal car park and missing that ferry it would be good to know whether anybody ever checks?
I reckon most people would decide well before travelling and not leave it until they are in the ferry car park.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
An annual policy could be renewed.

You wouldn’t be able to take out a new single trip policy whilst abroad if you just fancied staying longer, as Lenny says the rules still apply, whether you could phone and ask to extend your policy and pay a fee, worth a try, but no idea if it would work.

Actually I’m wrong. I’ve just found a company who will do it. Big Cat Travel Insurance, part of Allianz. Goodness knows the cost but looks like it’s aimed at the more adventurous traveller usually. You have to usually be a UK resident. Doesn’t cover for the first 48 hrs after you take it out, I presume to avoid it being abused by people who might only take it out after they actually might use it.

I’m been on a Big Cat policy for just under a year and have recently extended until June 2025 to cover the next trip. Very good value for extended travel like we are doing! ✔️

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Don't worry about it, just sort a sob story & start a Gofundme page if you need repatriation or help with medical costs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back