Do you do a warm up & warm down of your moho engine ? (34 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Whose recieved wisdom ? Where’s the evidence based research ?
This so far is purely anecdotal.
I’m open to facts ,
Interesting discussion tho 💡👍
If your on track generally the first lap is a warm up for both car and driver, then go for a hot laps then on the final lap it’s a slower lap that helps cool things down a little ( the car is still hot but won’t be as hot as at the end of a hot lap if that makes sense)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My 300bhp VX220 got too hot being thrashed around a track in the south of France at the height of the summer. No malfunction just extreme use.
Hope you did a ‘cool down’ lap at the end. 😉

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I owned a 2012 6.5L Powerstroke Diesel based American motorhome The handbook advised that if the engine had been working hard a 10 minute warm down on tickover was required to protect the turbo. Problem was I’ve never heard a noisier vehicle on tickover, it was crazy/annoyingly loud. Only ever got to about 5 minutes before turning it off.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Stop start is so manufacturers meet green targets…they do not concern themselves as to how good it is ( or not) for the life of the engine.
I always switch off stop/start function in my Moho and in my cars.
It’s just a repeated mechanical activity that is simply not required.
When stationed in Germany for 20 years of my service life, I remember arriving and out for the first time in town in the car. Stopped at some traffic lights and promptly received a knock on my window by a passing German lady, who told me rather sternly to switch off the engine. When I did I realised that my old Vauxhall was the only car that was in the queue running. This was way before start stop technology was even built into our cars. From that day on, I always switched off at traffic lights and railway barriers etc.

It’s certainly not to meet green targets, but if we all followed the German example, then the air quality would be so much better for everyone. With the Germans, they’re taught this, along with first aid training, motorway driving and basic car maintenance, as part of their test. Makes us look pretty silly with the basic driving test we have. If we taught the rule of switching off when able, plus motorway driving, then it could only be a good thing 👍🏻

Here’s the sign that’s on so many traffic lights and crossings 👍🏻
IMG_3863.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I owned a 2012 6.5L Powerstroke Diesel based American motorhome The handbook advised that if the engine had been working hard a 10 minute warm down on tickover was required to protect the turbo. Problem was I’ve never heard a noisier vehicle on tickover, it was crazy/annoyingly loud. Only ever got to about 5 minutes before turning it off.
How do you manage at a filling station with these sort of trucks, do you just have to sit there and let others queue behind?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I think the key is to not work it hard just before you are due to stop. If I have been for a spirited run in either of my cars I will drive them gently for the last mile or so. Better than idling at a stand still as air is still flowing.

With the motorhome - well it rarely has a spirited drive.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the key is to not work it hard just before you are due to stop. If I have been for a spirited run in either of my cars I will drive them gently for the last mile or so. Better than idling at a stand still as air is still flowing.

With the motorhome - well it rarely has a spirited drive.
I think the only time a motorhome engine would be working hard enough for it to be a real concern would be at the top of a mountain pass stopping at a viewpoint

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Fun fact. My performance car actually has an oil warmer. Coolant water has a heat exchanger with the oil. Water is pretty much always hotter than the oil...

Oil coolers (air/oil) exist of course but not on any normal production engine AFAIK.

There is an oil warmer/ heat exchanger on my original LHD 1989 T25TD VW Westfalia California.
It is based on the Caravelle model before converting.

This model was designed to comply with German Army specifications and also has a fuel warming diesel fuel filter+ an extra independent water pump which is designed to stop it overheating in desert conditions and to keep the turbo cool when ignition is switched off.
All is original and not added! 😄

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wonder why we worry when most american trucks without APC's still idle overnight . Even the new ones with common rail & emissions tat.
How do you manage at a filling station with these sort of trucks, do you just have to sit there and let others queue behind?
Most trucks in the U.S. fill from both sides at once & stay on the fuel island for ages .30minutes isn't unusual on some of the programmes I regularly watch.: Often they have to wait in queues.
In the Uk I usually queue to get on a pump so it has idled & cooled whilst I wait.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I suspect you mostly did at least five minutes of not-hard driving before you came to a stop. Unless you were racing up Pike's Peak..?

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Is that true or a myth with diesels? With petrol I can see a small amount of unburnt fuel escaping eveytime you start but not with diesel also if you start the engine yourself a lot tend to rev it but it doesn't do that on stop start. Those things together with the fact that stop start reduces fuel consumption and is needed to meet emissions targets suggests to me that thinking there's more pollution using stop start is an urban myth
Yes complete myth, burning fuel is the sole cause of pollutants with ICE engines, and any measure to reduce fuel burning will reduce the pollutants. Stop /start Euro6 + engines will demand a little extra alternator input, but manufacturers have this covered with efficient battery management systems controlling the charge rate.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I wonder why we worry when most american trucks without APC's still idle overnight . Even the new ones with common rail & emissions tat.

Most trucks in the U.S. fill from both sides at once & stay on the fuel island for ages .30minutes isn't unusual on some of the programmes I regularly watch.: Often they have to wait in queues.
In the Uk I usually queue to get on a pump so it has idled & cooled whilst I wait.
On the continent and in the UK, there are reserve fuel fill up lanes for HGV's, I wouldn't recommend using these on sub 3.5 ton vehicles unless you're very careful! 😱

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
My 300bhp VX220 got too hot being thrashed around a track in the south of France at the height of the summer. No malfunction just extreme use.
Just given me a great idea. Think a VX220 would be excellent for a toad...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When stationed in Germany for 20 years of my service life, I remember arriving and out for the first time in town in the car. Stopped at some traffic lights and promptly received a knock on my window by a passing German lady, who told me rather sternly to switch off the engine. When I did I realised that my old Vauxhall was the only car that was in the queue running. This was way before start stop technology was even built into our cars. From that day on, I always switched off at traffic lights and railway barriers etc.

It’s certainly not to meet green targets, but if we all followed the German example, then the air quality would be so much better for everyone. With the Germans, they’re taught this, along with first aid training, motorway driving and basic car maintenance, as part of their test. Makes us look pretty silly with the basic driving test we have. If we taught the rule of switching off when able, plus motorway driving, then it could only be a good thing 👍🏻

Here’s the sign that’s on so many traffic lights and crossings 👍🏻
View attachment 953472

I can understand turning off ones engine if your going to be stopped for a number of minutes but, in the past, we were always told that an engine burns more fuel on startup, especially when cold.

If, in Germany, you live in town and a minute after leaving home you hit your first traffic light, followed closely by others when your engine is still cold especially in North Germany.
How does what you describe help emissions? 🤔

This doesn't include stop start hybrid vehicle of course.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Does my nut in if you're parked next to an "idler" on an Aire or parking spot. 😁 These are commercial engines thrashed for millions of miles by white van man. Just turn the key, drive away / park up turn it off, open beer!

White Van Man probably doesn't own the vehicle, what does he care if it lasts? 🤔

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I can understand turning off ones engine if your going to be stopped for a number of minutes but, in the past, we were always told that an engine burns more fuel on startup, especially when cold.

If, in Germany, you live in town and a minute after leaving home you hit your first traffic light, followed closely by others when your engine is still cold especially in North Germany.
How does what you describe help emissions? 🤔
In the old days of petrol carburettors perhaps there was some truth in cold startup burning more fuel.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes complete myth, burning fuel is the sole cause of pollutants with ICE engines, and any measure to reduce fuel burning will reduce the pollutants. Stop /start Euro6 + engines will demand a little extra alternator input, but manufacturers have this covered with efficient battery management systems controlling the charge rate.
Normally exhaust system condensation rather than sunburnt fuel.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
and you think this no longer applies even at a lesser degree? 🤔
Cold startup uses more fuel - both carbon and injection employ cold start enrichment with injection being somewhat more precise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back