Do you do a warm up & warm down of your moho engine ? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
Recieved wisdom says you should warm up a diesel vehicle on idle for at least 45 seconds before driving off, personally I try to do longer, especially if I have to drive up a hill etc & also if its cold. The same wisdom says you should do at least similar after driving, preferably a bit longer if for example you have been on the motorway & pulled into a service station car park, & the turbo has been fully engaged for a long period.
I dont see many people doing the above with their vehicles, which is one reason I have tried not to buy second hand vehicles!! What do you do & why ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably going to be running for at least 45 sec while you get your seat belt on, adjust seat and turn on satnav.
What you shouldn't do is let a diesel run for any length of time before driving off.

After a run on a motorway or fast road at a constant high speed I always let it idle for at least minute before turning off.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A diesel should be driven as soon as it's started, it will warm up quicker under load.
Idling for a few seconds after a fast run will do no good whatsoever.....it will still be too hot to touch 10 minutes after stopping.
Next it will be said you have to run in a new van at a reduced speed .....utter crap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ensuring the oil is circulating properly before applying many revs makes sense, but other than that , all the advice these days with modern engines is that you start it and move away with a gentle driving style to allow the engine to warm naturally. I was told probably 30 years ago , by an engineerat Williams racing near Oxford that trying to 'cool' an engine by leaving it on tickover after a run is a complete waste of time and fuel. Even on tickover the engine is still creating a huge amount of heat. that the fan will be trying to disperse. Clearly if running the engine at maximum rev's in a low gear on a motorway isn't likely to do it much good, but if you are in the correct gear the engine is likely to be running at under 3000rpm anyway. Blocks these days are much better designed for thermal efficiency than they were half a century ago. .

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
The oil will circulate sufficiently within a few seconds on start up, I wouldn't worry. I remember people used to rev the engine before switching off years ago so there was fuel in the system for the next start up!!!!!
Those were the days when you would see people at fuel stations lifting the filling pipe to get the last drop out! :LOL:
Modern engines, state of the art lubrication things have moved on.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
After a run on a motorway or fast road at a constant high speed I always let it idle for at least minute before turning off.
But surely the issue is engine speed, not vehicle speed? Even at 70, engine speed should be no more than 3000 rpm. Running round town in third will probably be about 2500rpm. Do you do the same having driven through town for an hour stopping and starting? The engine will be just as hot!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The oil will circulate sufficiently within a few seconds on start up, I wouldn't worry. I remember people used to rev the engine before switching off years ago so there was fuel in the system for the next start up!!!!!
Those were the days when you would see people at fuel stations lifting the filling pipe to get the last drop out! :LOL:
Modern engines, state of the art lubrication things have moved on.
Yes I am aware of that, I was simply reinforcing the theory of not over-reving a stone cold engine. ;)

OP
OP
mohobot
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
A diesel should be driven as soon as it's started, it will warm up quicker under load.
Idling for a few seconds after a fast run will do no good whatsoever.....it will still be too hot to touch 10 minutes after stopping.
Next it will be said you have to run in a new van at a reduced speed .....utter crap.
Run in is something I do, I just cant help it. The next question may be do you change the oil after "run in" well it seems the answer is yes & I am glad I do. Who wants metal particles in the oil system for 2 years? In fact my moho when new was over a year in storage & conversion, changing the oil at 2 years would in fact be 3+ years total!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd have thought the engine will get even hotter on tick over after a run, while driving the radiator and whole engine is being cooled by a fast air flow. On tick over all the air is still and after a short time the cooling fan has to come on.

My motorcycle has a water temperature display and you can see it happening, in traffic the water temperature will climb to 103°c and the fan comes on (switches off about 95😉)

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
I wouldn’t bother too much re warm up as long as you take it steady I.e. normal driving.

As to letting the turbo wind down, as long as your not going from full load to stopped immediately then you’ll be fine, think about a run up a big hill at high speed and you roll into a lay bye at the top, the process of finding a place to stop will a slow everything down.

However you drive your van it will never be as hard as the Amazon man…

OP
OP
mohobot
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
I'd have thought the engine will get even hotter on tick over after a run, while driving the radiator and whole engine is being cooled by a fast air flow. On tick over all the air is still and after a short time the cooling fan has to come on.

My motorcycle has a water temperature display and you can see it happening, in traffic the water temperature will climb to 103°c and the fan comes on (switches off about 95😉)
It seems the turbo is the importsnt item here :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I worked in a stable years ago-as a teenager-we had an old horse box lorry and that was started up and left to run for a while. Not something to do now with modern engines.
It was an old TK and this was in the winter weather, frosty, and cold with the old dung heap steaming gently, fantastic days!

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
You'll have to explain, I'm not watching videos as I'm down to 1.5GB and it's got to last me until the 24th 😢 I'm even using Opera Mini browser 😂
Turbos will spin for a short time after the engine shuts down and for that period will not have oil supply to bearings.
That's only going to be an issue if you switch off when the Turbo is running at full tilt which is very unlikely I would say!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Only a racing car can potentially start and be thrashed off the line or alternatively screams to a stop in the pits.

For mere mortals we start the engine and extract ourselves from drives, car parks, campsite pitches, or whatever when flooring it is simply not going to happen. The most effort would be getting out of a junction or at traffic lights, all of which means your engine must have been turning over for at least a short while. For stopping and shutting down the worst might perhaps be a stop start type engine where you come to a temporary halt at a slip road traffic light controlled junction. But I've yet to be able to do a fast drive braking hard to stop and shut off engine when arriving into a final park up. So there will always have been a less stressed period for any reduced turbo and other load.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back