Do these ovens actually work? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anybody any experience of these ovens? We are due to collect our new to us moho in a couple of weeks, this is the oven. Are these ovens any good or are they glorified sausage roll warmers?
TIA
IMG_9502.jpeg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had one in my previous van and was told it’s classed as a warming oven - not a ‘full blown’ oven. Never used it so couldn’t comment!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It says Dometic, that wouldn't inspire confidence in me ?
I have a Smev and find it works well, it just takes longer than you'd expect.
It's hotter at the back than the front so frequent turning needed, but once you get used to it it's ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If its a SMEV we have one and it's fine. Don't compare it to a domestic oven, everything will take longer and you need to turn things around from time to time to get even cooking. We use ours almost every day when away.

Edit: Ours looks identical to the photo but they may now be made by Dometic. Whether these still work like our SMEV I can't say.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Has anybody any experience of these ovens? We are due to collect our new to us moho in a couple of weeks, this is the oven. Are these ovens any good or are they glorified sausage roll warmers?
TIA
View attachment 947991
Looks like it's in a Carthago, we didn't bother with oven option as didn't like how and where it was fitted or the price.
Friends have one the same it works OK but gets very hot above it.
They don't fit any ventilation so if you are going to use I would fit a vent in the wall behind it.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a slightly different Dometic one you have to keep turning the tray around. The rear inside gets very hot whilst the front not so good. Ok for pizza, chips etc but very limited

OP
OP
E
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks like the same as mine, and as long as you understand it’s not a house domestic oven it works well. Just takes longer, is much smaller, and produces heat in the area it’s in.
Do you do anything to mitigate the heat around it?
Any advice on its use? Thanks.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you do anything to mitigate the heat around it?
Any advice on its use? Thanks.
Mine has air gap all around it and a metal plate above it, just below the ceiling for protection. I also only really use it for long periods during the winter, so a bit of extra heat in the hab area isn’t an issue.

Also it only lights with door open, and you are best to leave door open for a few minutes after lighting it.

OP
OP
E
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine has air gap all around it and a metal plate above it, just below the ceiling for protection. I also only really use it for long periods during the winter, so a bit of extra heat in the hab area isn’t an issue.

Also it only lights with door open, and you are best to leave door open for a few minutes after lighting it.
Great thank you.

Jan 9, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1998
I had this oven in my PVC Rapido. I works very well as an oven just turn it to number 6 to cook everything. It vents from the front so the drawer panel directly above gets very hot and condensation forms on it. I had to keep wiping the condensation off whilst cooking . I used it about 20 times then the front of the drawer started to delaminate even with me wiping it.
I then covered the drawer front with tin foil while cooking. That stopped it from getting any worse. It needs a metal cover above to direct the heat away but theres no room to fit one. I would say even though it works as an oven its not fit for purpose.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Having read many threads both here and in other forums, I would suggest you are much better off getting an 'air fryer' which is actually a small convection oven and works perfectly in the van. Being stand alone, means you can put it anywhere while cooking and it will not destroy your cupboards. Being small, they heat up very quickly and you can cook anything in them. The only downside is you do need 230V so a converter is necessary along with battery power, but most meals can be done in an hour or so, so not too much consumption.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don’t, we have paid the deposit on the motorhome and collect it in 2 weeks (🤞)
It looks identical to our SMEV so I guess they have been taken over by Dometic. Ours has a grill inside which is very useful. Mrs DBK cooked a part-baked loaf in it for lunch today and a homemade pizza tonight. The hob is fitted above it which removes any problems with heat coming from the vent at the top.

It might look as if we are roasting my legs but that's just a reflection. :)

PXL_20240912_193913746.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
TIA
View attachment 947991
They work great , I've roasted full chickens in these , baked fish regularly.

The surrounds do get quite hot if it's on for a long time though so make sure there's adequate space around it and good airflow

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It looks identical to our SMEV so I guess they have been taken over by Dometic. Ours has a grill inside which is very useful. Mrs DBK cooked a part-baked loaf in it for lunch today and a homemade pizza tonight. The hob is fitted above it which removes any problems with heat coming from the vent at the top along front.

It might look as if we are roasting my legs but that's just a reflection. :)

View attachment 948554
Yours is the same one I had in the mobilvetta , Smev brand and it was great.

Current van doesn't have an oven and I miss it already

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I'm never on hookup unfortunately.

It has a microwave combi grill fitted but unless my generator works ill likely not use it.
Is that getting closer to the top of the fix list?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back