Do I need solar charging for my vehicle battery?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 896f
Exp
Since 2020
Hi
I'm looking at moving from two lead-acid leisure batteries to lithium and am wondering how to address the connundrum that I have.

Currently both the mains charger and the solar chargers charge both the leisure and vehicle battery which is no problem as they are all lead-acid.

However, if I change the leisure to lithium this then poses a problem for me.

The current solar charger I have it this one coupled with a single panel - https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/product/10a-dual-battery-charge-controller/

I could change it for one with a lithium profile and dual charging - https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/product/15a-mppt--dual-battery-charge-controller/

I have been told by the supplier that I would have to leave it on the gel / lead-acid setting as it cannot handle two different profiles.

Fogstar have told me that this could causes problems with the lithium battery BMS.

So, do I just leave the vehicle battery disconnected? Do I really need to solar charge the vehicle battery?

I would prefer to as I do not have an EHU when in storage and I believe that the MiPhantom draws from the vehicle battery.

TIA
Mark

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
A simple solution would be to fit the correct solar controller for the lithium leisure battery and only charge the leisure from solar. Then fit a Vanbitz battery master which would trickle charge the starter battery from the leisure thus dealing with the parasitic load of the alarm tracker system.

OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 896f
Exp
Since 2020
A simple solution would be to fit the correct solar controller for the lithium leisure battery and only charge the leisure from solar. Then fit a Vanbitz battery master which would trickle charge the starter battery from the leisure thus dealing with the parasitic load of the alarm tracker system.
Thanks for that pointer. I have a CBE DS300 distribution box. I'm wondering if I would write it into that after disconnecting the current solar charger connection for the vehicle battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back