Dipped beam - UK to EU - and back. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Following on from a recent thread on changing the dipped beam using beam benders, etc, I have carried out a mod on our lamps, which was first done for us on our old Hymer, by Peter Hambilton (Lancs) now retired.

First of all, if your lamps are of this type.............

1720523370807.png
1720523400921.png
1720523413906.png

..............then the method of changing the dipped beam is by use of a lever at the rear of the lamp. See here. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/newer-hymer-headlights-adjustment.226229/

If however, your lamps are of the Hella projection type like these, (or similar) ..............
1720523657644.png
1720523673425.png

..........as found on our older Hymer E690 and N&B Flair, it's a bit more involved than just moving a lever. I have been advised that they are very similar, (if not the same), as the lamps on earlier BMW 3 & 5 Series cars, and on BMW Motorcycles, which are designed to be adjusted left or right.

Back in 2007/8, Peter Hambilton of Lancs, a renowned independent Hymer engineer, carried out some repair jobs for me, and I just happened to mention about beam benders. He informed me that I didn't need them, as the lamps were designed to have their beams changed quite easily. He carried out a mod on the lamps, which meant when I got to Dover, I just had to reach inside the bonnet, and rotate each lamp body a few degrees to the right for Europe, then when at Calais on the way home, just do the reverse for the UK. They worked a treat (y) ............but best done when the lamps have cooled down. :LOL: Although he didn't explain the mod, I discovered very recently, exactly how it was done.
Once access is gained to the lamp brackets, I removed then from the body, as no room to work behind them.
Looking at the photo below, I am looking down on the lamp. There are 3 x crosshead screws, top middle, and bottom left and right. Remove the top screw, and slacken the other two only.

Hella dipped 1..jpeg

Next, as per the photo below, rotate the lamp upside down, to reveal a bronze arrow in between black plastic lugs. The bronze body part of the lamp is designed to be pulled away from the black body, and rotated a few degrees, then springs back into place.

Hella Dipped 2..jpeg

This is where the mod comes in, ie, cut away the single black lug in the middle, enough for the arrow to be moved right or left, without having to pull the bronze body out. Once happy, retighten the two screws enough to still allow body rotation without feeling loose. I applied some silicon spray to ease things a bit.
At this point, you now have a choice, ie, either to return the locating screw finger tight, or leave it out altogether. I chose to replace mine for now, to see how I get on with the mod.

While I was at it, I also fitted new Osram H7 Night Breaker 200 bulbs, to both the dipped and main beam lamps, but I won't know how much better they are than the original bulbs, until I get to drive in the dark. :(

I hope this helps others re changing their dipped beam from UK to EU. (y)

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My headlights,2001 B584, have similar setup but all three screws are in slots and to rotate beam you only have to loosen the screw and it just rotates.
I left bottom 2 screws just touching so when I need adjust them I only need to loosen the top screw.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My headlights,2001 B584, have similar setup but all three screws are in slots and to rotate beam you only have to loosen the screw and it just rotates.
I left bottom 2 screws just touching so when I need adjust them I only need to loosen the top screw.
I've tightened up the 2 x bottom screws, enough to keep the lamps in place, but not too tightly that I can't rotate them. đź‘Ť

Cheers,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've tightened up the 2 x bottom screws, enough to keep the lamps in place, but not too tightly that I can't rotate them. đź‘Ť

Cheers,

Yes that way it makes it a quick job.
Do you still have to remove top screw completely
1720537710886.jpeg

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes that way it makes it a quick job.
Do you still have to remove top screw completely
For now I do, because I returned it to the housing, but we are talking seconds to remove without the need for a screwdriver. (y)

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I like it Jock! I’m left hand drive and have European ready lights already.

My simple solution for MOT, rather than taping up to modify the beam angle on my LHD lights, I bought a pair of RHD lights from a breakers which take me five mins to fit once a year for the MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back