Diesel “Chinese” heaters (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I have an Eberspacher in one of my defenders (110 fitted from new ex SSE) it works faultlessly and is reasonably quiet on defender standards! I have been looking at fitting another in my 130, the Chinese versions seem cost efficient in both cost and running with the only downside is I’ve been unable to find a genuine 2kw. The Eberspacher’s thermostat cuts both fuel and fan, whereas the Chinese only seem to regulate the pump speed. The stand alone Chinese ones get around the fitting problems but as space is at a premium with a defender it’s a difficult choice. My 110 is externally fitted to the chassis and fed from the tank.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have an Eberspacher in one of my defenders (110 fitted from new ex SSE) it works faultlessly and is reasonably quiet on defender standards! I have been looking at fitting another in my 130, the Chinese versions seem cost efficient in both cost and running with the only downside is I’ve been unable to find a genuine 2kw. The Eberspacher’s thermostat cuts both fuel and fan, whereas the Chinese only seem to regulate the pump speed. The stand alone Chinese ones get around the fitting problems but as space is at a premium with a defender it’s a difficult choice. My 110 is externally fitted to the chassis and fed from the tank.

The Chinese diesel heaters do in fact change the fan speed in line with the fuel pump rate, otherwise how else would it control the air/fuel ratio for a clean combustion?
I can show you the evidence if required.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Fitted one in my boat at the weekend and works a treat. I would say the instructions are not always translated very well- There "was" a way to prime the fuel, but we couldn't work out how to do it. In the end we just let it run through a few cycles and eventually it fired up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There "was" a way to prime the fuel, but we couldn't work out how to do it. In the end we just let it run through a few cycles and eventually it fired up.

I normally suck the fuel through with a syringe, which saves running the pump when it's dry with no fuel in it for lubricating.

OP
OP
Landy Andy
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I was going to buy an Eberspacher, but the difference in cost is massive for something I will occasionally use. Even secondhand they are over £400. 😵😵😵

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
The Chinese heaters are a copy of the webasto D2 and the D4 there all made in the same factory In china The important bit on these heaters is the controllers the 6 bladed fan controllers have an engineering mode which allows you to fine tune the heater ect where as the. New controllers have only 3 bladed fans on the controller and do not have an engineering mode. They also have a shorter glow plug timer so tend to smoke a bit on start up Also some controllers will allow you to select auto temp mode where you set the temp the heater will then reach that temp shut down and then start up again when the temp drops 2 degrees ( uses mor battery. Power. Where as the other ones just go into low heat mode Hope this is helpful
Can you please explain

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have a 5kw in the flat, vented outside via 22mm pipe and silencer outside (only a small difference in sound) Takes the chill off 1st thing and warms up OK. 240v/30w 12v psu.
In the van(6.7m hobby) I have a 3kw. With own tank fitted in rear garage and exhaust through floor with 2m extension to silencer.
Gets the van toasty in no time.
Draws around 11a on start up but settles down to around 2a or less when working. I fitted another dedicated rear aux 110a battery parallel to those up front.
Having owned a couple of defenders I would say 2kw if you could find one or 3kw.
They can all be programed to low /timed settings (see Facebook group)

Big hike in prices due to being thin on the ground due to customs bust. (poss)

Have had the erbaspatcher and replaced with 5kw on the boat fits in same space but fraction of cost.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fitted one in my workshop about 4 weeks ago works well however uses a lot of diesel a lot of diesel.
View attachment 705829

I would suggest moving the burn side air inlet/filter outside for 2 reason.
1) You are exposing your workshop to the burn chamber. backfires/leaks etc unlikely but possible. It is very similar to what is called a balanced flue in gas heaters.
2) You are sucking in warm air from the workshop, chucking it through the burn chamber then exhausting that outside forcing a negative pressure in your workshop. This then pulls in cold air from outside.

Minor points maybe? But worth the extra work for a small improvement in safety and efficiency in my view.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
What is the exhaust pipe noise like on a 5kw? We had an Eberspacher on the boat but the exhaust used to roar. Always could tell who had the heating on in the marina. Inside there was just a soft ticking noise from the fuel pump.
Great heat though.
The exhaust noise on both the Eberspacher and Chinese heaters isn’t the bit that sounds like a jet engine, that’s the air intake. Unbelievable difference when I fitted an intake silencer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The exhaust noise on both the Eberspacher and Chinese heaters isn’t the bit that sounds like a jet engine, that’s the air intake. Unbelievable difference when I fitted an intake silencer

Yup, agree, just what I said in post #25 and I made and fitted an air intake silencer. (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back