Dieppe - 1) Any update on Colbert Bridge repairs? 2) Aires locally? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I am on the 17:00 sailing to Dieppe on 22.07.24. So a couple of questions:

1. Is the Colbert Bridge still closed to vehicular traffic?
2. Ideally I plan to overnight at the Aire almost adjacent to the Dieppe Terminal (For convenience and hang the expense as I can then saunter into town on foot in the morning before moving to the La Source campsite at Hautot-sur-Mer for a couple of days at 13:00)
3. If that La Marne Dieppe Aire is full I might try the one near the beach though it will be pain to get to if the bridge is still closed! Any problems with just parking at the roadside on the beachfront there if that Aire is also full that people know of? I might be running out of energy by then!!
4. Any other suggestions for an overnight stop which is walkable to Dieppe centre?
5. If not I might park up at Auchan. Is there a best place to park up there? I take it there are no parking restrictions such as the 2-3 hour hour restrictions common at UK supermarkets? It will dark by the time I arrive so I might easily miss signs!

Thanks in advance for replies.

Chris

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
There are Aldi, Lidls and others out of town on the way up the hill near the big Centre Comercial if you are struggling and a campsite by the water tower if you need facilities

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Last week the bridge was well and truly closed. It doesn't look like it will be in operation for some months as far as I could see. The aire is now 18 euros.

OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"The aire is now 18 euros."

Ouch!!! But I suppose that means it is more likely that there will be space there and it is so convenient! I can shop at the Carrefour near the Tourist Office and the boulanger near the Colbert Bridge and return to the MoHo with the shopping before heading back to a cafe for an early lunch (Hopefully in the sun) and only then be on my way to Hautot-sur-Mer.

Chris

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We parked on the large Auchan car park for the night for free. No problems other than a spectacular thunder and lightning storm and very heavy rain and hail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We once stopped for two nights in the layby on the roundabout just before the aire

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last week the bridge was well and truly closed. It doesn't look like it will be in operation for some months as far as I could see.
According to the Press release it won't reopen to vehicles until mid 2025 but a pedestrian walkway has been put in place.

(I've stayed a night or two at La Source every year for the past ten years - lovely tranquil riverside site).

2016-05-07 France May 2016 041.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
We once stopped for two nights in the layby on the roundabout just before the aire
Yes I saw people parked there on my visit as a foot passenger and staying locally AirB&B last year as I trundled by with my wheelie suitcase off the same evening ferry. But obviously I did not monitor how long they stayed. That sounds like a decent bet if the local Aire is full. I am not sure I would want to park up there and walk into town leaving the MoHo unattended but certainly I could move on in the morning and park elsewhere to shop.

Chris

OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"I've stayed a night or two at La Source every year for the past ten years - lovely tranquil riverside site"

Thanks. That is most reassuring. As always I did a lot of research before booking it. You will gather I know Dieppe but not the environs.
After a couple of days chilling out there I am moving on to a site at Le Crotoy before heading home.

My main holiday is 2.5 weeks at the very end of August (again via Newhaven-Dieppe) when I will travel much further ending up at Lake Como. This coming week is just a toe in the water!

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back