DFDS Over 60's discount (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I see you are from Tropical Skelmorlie ..

I was born in Lochwinnoch, when I worked at the Inverkip Powerstation 1979 I lived in Wemyss Bay .. small world

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I seem to remember reading that the discount is somehow tied to the subsidy for the route from the Council in Dieppe, or the Department. Which it only applies to that DFDS route.
It was written into the deal when (early 60's I think) the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce and E. Sussex County Council took over the route from British Rail and it has endured through several route operators.
From the end of WW2 until the mid 50's Newhaven and Dieppe ports were very busy repatriating military equipment and with transporting building materials and soldiers who were 'clearing up' over there. As that work declined British Rail decided to discontinue the service. Foreign holidays became more affordable (vehicles were still being craned on and off) it was clear that port modernising to accommodate the public and RoRo vessels were required to compete with the other more modern and more popular S. Coast ports. As a nipper I spent many hours watching vehicles and cargo being craned on and off the ships.
I understand that the special discounts were introduced by the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce and E. Sussex C. C. to attract 'nostalgia' visits by the war wounded, for educational visits by children and for the bereaved older relatives to visit the scenes of battle and acquaint themselves first-hand with the terrible history.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
My wife and I have a return ferry Newhaven-Dieppe booked with the over 60 discount.
My 24yr old daughter has decided to join us on the outward journey but will fly back because she only has 10 days holiday to use up.

I rang the French number to amend and add her to the booking, the French guy I spoke with said no problem, does £6 sound ok.

She will fly back from Carcassonne-Manchester for £22 so a very cheap trip for her 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I rang the French number to amend and add her to the booking, the French guy I spoke with said no problem, does £6 sound ok.
I've changed booking and they haven't charged me and let me go on what would have been a more expensive crossing other times I've been charged their standard £20 admin fee. I find then easy to deal with and helpful.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
What's the discount and is it any different to the 10% from the Camping and Caravanning Club?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
From the DFDS website.......

DFDS OAP discount.JPG

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I've changed booking and they haven't charged me and let me go on what would have been a more expensive crossing other times I've been charged their standard £20 admin fee. I find then easy to deal with and helpful.
Second that
Forgot to get dog wormed (fekk knows)
Had to rebook for the following day no charge .

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
We already get 50% "Family Discount" as wife's brother works the DFDS ferries. I wonder if I can push my luck and get 20% off that!
Somehow I doubt it 😅

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
We already get 50% "Family Discount" as wife's brother works the DFDS ferries. I wonder if I can push my luck and get 20% off that!
Somehow I doubt it 😅
50% off is a good deal.
An I.T. pal who worked for Transmanche could have a return ticket for a pound. He used to take his m/home over just to do a Saturday's shopping.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, and you have to book by phone or at the port.
Never having been interested in anything but the tunnel, and having used up all my Tesco vouchers, can anyone give a general sort of price for a converted ambulance and two people well into their seventies on this ferry.?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I recently costed outbound on 20 August and inbound on 23 August: about £230 for the largest motorhome size on their website and two people over 60. That probably included 10% discount through C&CC. We're now going on the motorbike: £82.

PS, the costs vary only slighty depending on time of day of departure.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Never having been interested in anything but the tunnel, and having used up all my Tesco vouchers, can anyone give a general sort of price for a converted ambulance and two people well into their seventies on this ferry.?
It depends upon choice of sailing time and day of the week. The midweek and the overnight sailings are generally the less costly.
Pop your details in here and take off 20% wrinkly discount from the fare. (Not off the cabin if you take one).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Chaser, we only paid £190 return, for a Saturday 17.00 hrs outbound in January, and a Saturday 12.00 hrs inbound in March, on a MH up to 10 x metres with 2 x over 60s.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It depends upon choice of sailing time and day of the week. The midweek and the overnight sailings are generally the less costly.
Pop your details in here and take off 20% wrinkly discount from the fare. (Not off the cabin if you take one).

Wow £150 in July before any discount £120??? Am I right, less than a third of the tunnel at £380

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hoping to use the newhaven - dieppe ferry in January rather than the shuttle. A couple of questions
How do you get the discount for pensioners?
Can you use Tesco vouchers.?
Thanks
When's the earliest you can book. Just checked and can't book a return in March 2025 as calander not available.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hoping to use the newhaven - dieppe ferry in January rather than the shuttle. A couple of questions
How do you get the discount for pensioners?
Can you use Tesco vouchers.?
Thanks
You have to phone up and no you can’t use Tesco’s vouchers Jim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back