Dark Comfortmatic Clutch fluid (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
The clutch fluids dark even though it has been replaced recently.
1. What is the cause?
2. Will it eventually lead to master cylinder failure?

Many thanks

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The system was drained fully and flushed as part of the release bearing replacement. The next time 3 months later it was only the reservoir that was sucked out.
I am told draining the reservoir achieves very little because it is the fluid trapped at the far end of the system that gets polluted and that it doesn’t circulate.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Are seals available as "spare parts"
No idea, I just assumed they would be, but as most things nowadays are replaced and not repaired it wouldn't surprise me if replacement seals were not available or at least difficult to identify/purchase?
Kannon Fodda has previously pointed out that he doesn't think repair kits are available, as he has been through the nightmare I'm happy to trust his comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I am told draining the reservoir achieves very little because it is the fluid trapped at the far end of the system that gets polluted and that it doesn’t circulate.
If the oil (fluid) didn’t circulate then the fluid would remain clear inside the reservoir, which I doesn’t. I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If the oil (fluid) didn’t circulate then the fluid would remain clear inside the reservoir, which I doesn’t. I would have thought.
I believe that is exactly the problem, the reservoir can stay clear whilst all sorts of dark problems are going on at the operational end of the system. If dark fluid gets to the reservoir I guess the problem is well advanced.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I believe that is exactly the problem, the reservoir can stay clear whilst all sorts of dark problems are going on at the operational end of the system. If dark fluid gets to the reservoir I guess the problem is well advanced.
I know that it doesn’t take long for a brake reservoir to change colour so think fluid must move about a bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I wonder if, as things start to warm up (brake calipers, clutch plate etc) whether a thermal siphon starts up, which would move the fluid around, even in a closed system and so disperse the contaminated fluid ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back