Dare I ask a toilet question? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Solbio works well. Quickly eliminates smells rather than obscuring them, which seems to be what the chemical products did when I used them.
We have just bought Solbio and will be using it for the first time. Hope it works well and doesn’t smell bad when emptying the cassette.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Thank you, I’ve been told washing machine pods before but am sceptical, do they break down the waste and paper as well as thetford chemicals?

I use Lidl, Formal Bio.

Seems to work well, nice smell, readily available and the One Litre bottle is easy to stow, you don't need to carry a lot as there is always a Lidl!

Now I don't study the contents that well but the Black Dump at the storage site had a grill on it and all my effluent passes through.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
+1 for Elsan Organic Green. No smells, ever. Paper breaks down fine. We carry Aldi/Lidl bio pods too, and drop one in (a pod, that is) from time to time. They also seem to work well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: M-J
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you, I’ve been told washing machine pods before but am sceptical, do they break down the waste and paper as well as thetford chemicals?
Yes, and better than Thetford chemicals. And a lot cheaper. But it must be bio.

A big BUT is that you will need to thoroughly clean the cassette to get rid of any residue of the chemicals as that will stop the the bio liquid working.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Yes, and better than Thetford chemicals. And a lot cheaper. But it must be bio.

A big BUT is that you will need to thoroughly clean the cassette to get rid of any residue of the chemicals as that will stop the the bio liquid working.

I have a brand new cassette

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
This?

Do they do a tablet/pod version?

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
In my humble opinion, like most things we are ripped off. We've tried quite a few different types and makes. We've currently settled on Dr Beckmann laundry sheets (no pun intended). Two go in at the beginning with a top up now and again. Non bio.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
This?

Do they do a tablet/pod version?

No they don’t. I did email them to ask and their reply said you should decant into another bottle to take enough for trip and the container was not really intended to be used direct. Didn’t make any sense to me.

• Informative
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
No they don’t. I did email them to ask and their reply said you should decant into another bottle to take enough for trip and the container was not really intended to be used direct. Didn’t make any sense to me.

Seems odd to have a dispensing button if it shouldn’t be used direct 🙃

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Doesn't that depend on the toilet paper? There is some designed for cassette toilets as opposed to normal loo paper. Our experience is it easily breaks down with the additive we use (I can't recall the name at the moment) but it is septic tank appropriate. Never had smells, never been a problem and my dear husband does the emptying!!!!
You don't need to buy that expensive stuff if you buy really cheap loo paper ( we used Aldi) it's very similar. If you put a sheet ( unused!) in a glass of water after a few minutes it will disintegrate just like the expensive "special" stuff. We used it just short of 10 years..... not the same sheet...... the cassette was fine.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
We have a separate flush tank of water, we add a cap full of zoflora to that when filling, pop a lidl formil bio pod into the cassette and use cheapo toilet roll. No issues whatsoever with smells or non-degradation.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What I know for a fact is that should you happen to accidentally get even to teeniest tiniest touch of blue Elsan fluid on more or less anything you don't want it on, most especially anything made of a natural material unless you drop everything and get more than plenty of cold water on the stain immediately you'll never get rid of the stain. Ever. Hence No Way Pedro do I personally wish to try anything again with that name on it. It may have ben quite a long time ago but just some things, are so deeply engraved in the memory bank they can't be removed.

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Elsan green liquid for us which seems to work really well, isn't expensive in the scheme of all things motorhomey and smells quite pleasant and not like a public loo. As stated by others, many sites now insist on green chemicals, including some of the ones we use.

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Pending Purchase
Solbio is brilliant - really deals with smells even in hot weather left for a long to. E! Never going back to chemicals.

This is good to know. We are about to upgrade from a VW camper with no loo, to a slightly bigger panel van conversion with a fixed washroom / loo. I read some positive things about Solbio vs the chemical alternatives so good to hear that user experiences are positive too. I like the fact it is environmentally sound meaning the loo waste can be disposed more easily (and responsibly of course).

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
This is good to know. We are about to upgrade from a VW camper with no loo, to a slightly bigger panel van conversion with a fixed washroom / loo. I read some positive things about Solbio vs the chemical alternatives so good to hear that user experiences are positive too. I like the fact it is environmentally sound meaning the loo waste can be disposed more easily (and responsibly of course).
Absolutely, I would say the only downside is the lack of colourant... Something to get used to after using normal chemicals... But smell killing properties outweigh the visual effect. I used to gag all the timewhen emptying with chemicals, now not at all 🤣

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I buy in bulk over internet and it’s green so OK for septics and much cheaper. No point trying to give links as has been different each time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back