Damp!!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
How in the name of "Elvis" can a truck with a zero rated damp check less than 7 months ago...suddenly have 76% ( YES....That is correct) Now?
Had Hab check carry out a Habitation service on our Autotrail 2016 Apache 634 . Everything was spot on until he stuck his damp meter in the very corners of the garage ! One side was 46% and the drivers side 76%!
For the life of me ..I cannot see wher the water can be getting in as we had it Waxoyled when we bought it and the garage is coated in that none scratch vinyl that is fitted from new. The Grey bubble looking stuff. Underneath the truck it is dry as a bone. Inside the garage only...no damp except the corners. It is under warranty so not concerned but...how does it get in? :oops2:

Kev and Carolyn :whatthe:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Condensation ! It needs a few weeks on the Costa del Sol.

It doesn't sound like penetraiting type damp to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys.
Maybe it’s coming from inside and trying to get out!

Really hope so?

Condensation ! It needs a few weeks on the Costa del Sol.

Kev said that too!

It doesn't sound like penetraiting type damp to me.

Cant see any marks or indication of damp to be honest? That aside..we have had the heater on all week in the garage and it still reads above Kevs meter. That being a "Stanley" reading upto 40%.

Carolyn

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Have you stored anything wet , walking boots , waterproofs? If the garage has lain closed it could be condensation from that .
Hopefully with use it will go away , but keep an eye on it.
Wishing you the best result .
John

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
When you say you wax oiled it what do you mean? It maybe that you have sealed it all up so the moisture/condensation cant evaporate out. Water does seem to find its way along via capillary attraction though so it could be anywhere.

I went to clean our van in storage on Sunday and as I drove it round to the wash pad water dripped/poured out of th sun visor fixings, removed visor and had a feel behind the head lining, could not feel anything so hoping its just condensation, due habitation check in May so will get it checked then.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am suspicious of the zero damp readings last year, I thought readings around 10% are quite normal, even dry wood would not show zero in terms of damp

but your new figures sound alarming, but could it be the plastic coating and you need to puncture that to get a true reading?

best of luck with the repairs, if needed (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My rear locker has shown a similar reading but on the nearside. It's been reported to Autotrail and I am booked in to the factory for 1st April. Not had any issues in that area before and the opposite side is fine. However to maintain the guarantee its needs reporting and sorting. Will post if I get any feedback off Autotrail after mine is done.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What you complaining about I thought it was standard with AT's :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though it needs proper investigation, probably needs internal panels removing to the establish the extent of the damage. Water could be getting in some distance away and capillaring through the the insulation.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Damp meters are not infallible. Their readings can be fooled by metal etc below the surface.

It is the change from year to year which I consider is important.

The last check guy may well not have probed in the very corner.

Hopefully not a huge problem to worry you but does not checking out. (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
........suddenly have 76% ( YES....That is correct) Now?
Had Hab check carry out a Habitation service on our Autotrail 2016 Apache 634 . Everything was spot on until he stuck his damp meter in the very corners of the garage ! One side was 46% and the drivers side 76%!
:whatthe:

Kev, I'm really sorry to hear of your news as no one should have to put up with this kind of crap but, that said, there have been a number of Apache 634's reported recently with similiar damp problems to yours.

There was one guy recently who successfully rejected his 2016 Apache 634 after it was found to have damp readings of 90%, 80% and 100% in its sides and rear end. It had previously gone back to Grimsby following its first major damp check failure only to be apparently fixed by AT and then the same problem came back a year later.

There's obviously a design issue with the 634 so sadly you are not alone.

I would jump on your dealer and tell them to get it back to Grimsby asap.

Good luck,

Andrew

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Leaking garage door seals?
Hi Minxy..Garage door seals are good and actually really water proof. Found that out by washing it with a hose to try and see if it was getting in? All was dry after attempting to force it through! I have been informed by Autotrail that it may be the Side "D" moulding strips that run from top to bottom outside over two joints. It is booked in on Thursday morning for them to check out . They seem to think that these "D" moulding strips may have been left short of SIkaflex type adhesive from new? Possible own up on their part would you think? Don't know but..will let all know after Thursday.

Thanks guys . Really glad its warranted ...

CAROLYN

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
My mil has an auto trail, 2008 vintage, from new, I love the layout, end bathroom, proper cooker, proper seating and an over cab bed with enough room to sit upright. She had had issues from the offset. Poorly implemented workmanship, Hartel door that locked her in, damp 3 times. All been rectified with exception of last damp. I’d buy it off her in a trice, for a song! having said that, we’ve had two German vans, both have been superior in build quality. First a Dethleffs and latterly a Hobby and I wouldn’t trade either for the Auto tail. In essence, not a superior build quality, but very good design appeal. IMO.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
When you say you wax oiled it what do you mean? It maybe that you have sealed it all up so the moisture/condensation cant evaporate out. Water does seem to find its way along via capillary attraction though so it could be anywhere.

I went to clean our van in storage on Sunday and as I drove it round to the wash pad water dripped/poured out of th sun visor fixings, removed visor and had a feel behind the head lining, could not feel anything so hoping its just condensation, due habitation check in May so will get it checked then.

When we had it Michael we went down the avenues like we have always done and had the rear end and any wood work on show, covered with waxoyl. This was upon purchase so we knew from the test day, hopefully all would be ok? The Vehicle was tested by the dealers who gave it a clean bill of heath apart from the one window showing 10% in the cab area roof. Was not sure how they could test that to be honest being plastic covered etc?
I do wonder if there has been a spill from inside ? I cannot for the life of me see how else it could be so high? Stick a meter into the panel through the bottom of the panel underneath..and it reads 10%? Grey sikaflex glue is oozing from all the joints externally underneath , so who knows?

Kev

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I am suspicious of the zero damp readings last year, I thought readings around 10% are quite normal, even dry wood would not show zero in terms of damp

but your new figures sound alarming, but could it be the plastic coating and you need to puncture that to get a true reading?

best of luck with the repairs, if needed (y)

Hi David. Yes the Habcheck guy said that the normal reading even at zero ..can actually be up to 10%. I asked why the readings from the previous dealer stated zero in most cases? He explained that it was down to the tester . Basically he said that a reading of Zero everywhere could give a false reading or belief on our part that it had actually been carried out? He stated that any reading of zero should actually be up to 10% as it would be normal moisture in the air or surroundings at this time of the year. He would always show a reading no matter how small , to prove he has checked it correctly. I had every reason to believe him to be honest.
So when my latest test showed 6's and 8's he said it was quite normal for that. It was only when he checked the lower corners that the reading beeped off the scale? I thought it had to be residual from possibly a spill or even a clean out before we had it? I am unsure now looking at some of the responses we are getting?

Thanks for the response though.

Kev

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I was always lead to believe that We should always aspire to the best that we can afford? It does seem that nowadays...We have to allow it to come with workmanship issues! Sounds a little like the 70s!!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Surely AT need to seriously look at both the materials they use to build their vans and how they build them.

It's funny you should say that Paul as they've started fitting a new resin-styled floor to those vans that are then returned to Grimbsy for serious damp repairs in their garages.

I'm also led to believe that AT are using the new material in the hope that if their main repairs fail again then they won't have to replace the floor a second time etc.

With so many water ingress issues being reported these days I'm not sure why they don't just move to a waterproof floor from the outset of the initial construction phase.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Well bugger me!
Had the truck checked out today to find the Auto trail have said we have damp! New garage floor and rear wall to be done! Just need to confirm the warranty ? Why ? Its serviced and Habitation serviced and they have all the records! What part of conformation/confirmation do they need?
Just glad we had the service done before it was due. Hopefully.....it will be sorted ? Who knows??

Kev and Carolyn

PS...Door seals were too short on the garage from new! Fitted upside down? Join should be at the bottom and not the top as in ours??
Habcheck who performed the habitation service...Excellent! They actually proved the fault lay with build and not ingress as the original dealer tried to put it?
Honestly think that the dealer would have got away with it if it had not been checked out properly!
Anyone with a garage and potentially damp in the corners? Especially on Autotrails Do not be told its due to steel supports? They do not have them ! The floor and the rear walls are bonded and stapled. If they are not sealed correctly....Damp will get in!
My hat is off to Go European..They have gone above and beyond for a dealership.They are taking this on the chin even though they should not.. My original reference to dealership goes to the previous company. Somewhere in wales!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back