Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
I'm a newbie (ISH) 2022( type 2 VW's and caravans 1980 s to 2022)s
Has anyone been told damp checks are only being carried out on the floor at the habitation service nowhere else .?

OP
OP
Chainwheel2
Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
Thanks for your reply .I have questioned them a few times as it sounds odd not to do so . All our caravans have had full damp check . This is a 2021 vehicle damp check done up to now....damp found twice once in garage area sorted this year and once before we bought it at the front area also sorted. It was n12 mths old when we bought it

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
No that's wrong. You need damp check at the roof level also. Around the roof vents around all lockers around the hab door and around the windows. Along the lower wall levels just above the floor and along the top of the walls under the ceiling.
Don't let them put you off by just the floor checks as that's incorrect.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chainwheel2
Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
I wonder if a good damp detector is needed for us to check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chainwheel2
Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
Please see this from the internet

Screenshot_20240912-091116.png

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I looked at a motorhome the beginning of this year with/for my sister at a small independent dealer who stated the hab check they have done doesn't include any damp check what so ever.
When I asked why he replied that a damp check is a worthless waste of time.
This was on a 30 grand van.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The industry needs to be more professional about damp checks and warranty.
Just had some work done because a slight damp issue. Check done each year and is within the manufacturer’s 6 year warranty period. Happy to have checked each year as reassurance but it was indicated that the work possibly cannot be done on warranty as it wasn’t done by a main dealer I bought it from. Who actually don’t sell this brand any more and will not service them. I was also told that there was an potential issue as I hadn’t had the under floor spray done - when I bought it new i was told it wasn’t required as it has a fibreglass under seal. Seems like too much of a cottage industry still, it should not be - these are expensive vehicles and it’s important they are maintained. Manufacturers/dealers should not shy away from their responsibilities. End of sermon!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
The industry needs to be more professional about damp checks and warranty.
Just had some work done because a slight damp issue. Check done each year and is within the manufacturer’s 6 year warranty period. Happy to have checked each year as reassurance but it was indicated that the work possibly cannot be done on warranty as it wasn’t done by a main dealer I bought it from. Who actually don’t sell this brand any more and will not service them. I was also told that there was an potential issue as I hadn’t had the under floor spray done - when I bought it new i was told it wasn’t required as it has a fibreglass under seal. Seems like too much of a cottage industry still, it should not be - these are expensive vehicles and it’s important they are maintained. Manufacturers/dealers should not shy away from their responsibilities. End of sermon!
Warranties in motorhomes are worthless.

If you'd bought a fridge and it broke, the manufacturer would have gone bust by now with their endless loopholes and excuses.

Best get handy at fixing things, or find a man who can, that's my plan.

Graydo

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Warranties in motorhomes are worthless.

If you'd bought a fridge and it broke, the manufacturer would have gone bust by now with their endless loopholes and excuses.

Best get handy at fixing things, or find a man who can, that's my plan.

Graydo
Actually with respect I disagree. Oven, fridges, car, bike all have had warranty issues sorted. Okay not a simple a process as it should be. With a motorhome you could be in for say rebuilding the rear end for, I don't know, £10k? Not sure I want a man who can to sort that out.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
When we bought our motorhome (on a Fiat Ducato base) the vehicle battery failed 30 months in.

We bought it from Dolphin Motorhomes who have their own spec for Swift, and included an extra year warranty, so our local Fiat/Ford dealer (who have a terrible rep) begrudgingly replaced it after a lot of faff. However, they refused to provide any kind of paperwork to prove that they had done so, so I had to keep my own record.

I later discovered that when they replaced the access plate in the passenger footwell they had pinched the cables!

More recently, they charged me £900+ for replacing an injector in my Ford Focus. When a second one failed 3 months later, my nearby Motorhome servicer replaced it for £330 and apologised for the cost 😤

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
When we bought our motorhome (on a Fiat Ducato base) the vehicle battery failed 30 months in.

We bought it from Dolphin Motorhomes who have their own spec for Swift, and included an extra year warranty, so our local Fiat/Ford dealer (who have a terrible rep) begrudgingly replaced it after a lot of faff. However, they refused to provide any kind of paperwork to prove that they had done so, so I had to keep my own record.

I later discovered that when they replaced the access plate in the passenger footwell they had pinched the cables!

More recently, they charged me £900+ for replacing an injector in my Ford Focus. When a second one failed 3 months later, my nearby Motorhome servicer replaced it for £330 and apologised for the cost 😤
They pinched the cables? as in stole?? How did you start the van?
Cheers, Dave

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back