Damage to mirror protector (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
I'd wondered what is was like... and what people do, when they whack mirrors passing each other. Now I know! Closing speed of about 100 mph. The protector did a good job, even if it did crack in the process.
It turns out that a previous owner had fitted mirror protectors after damaging the driver's side mirror - probably to hide the damage and because the protectors are cheaper that replacing a mirror.
Anyway, anyone have any tips on repairing damage? I plan to remove the earlier repair to the mirror and redo that properly and repair the protector, too.
I don't mind a battle-scar look so long as it's sound.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Mirror casings are much cheaper than protectors so I'd just buy one of those and bin the protectors.Can't see the point in making the mirrors a bigger target tbh

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
At a closing speed of around 100mph, I suspect the mirror would have shattered had I not had the protector on. That would have put a downer on our trip. Although it is possible that without the protector on they might not have made contact, I suppose...

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Mirror casings are available for around£15 and easy to fit. Just check out vids on u tube . Plenty of tips. Plus you need to determine if your mirror is long. Medium or short arm. Mirrors can be found on e bay also. Complete with attachment ring. Or mirrors that just stick over the existing. You don't need to take the mirror off the door so reasonably straight forward.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Did the OP see what happened to the other vehicle's mirror?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Mirror casings are available for around£15 and easy to fit. Just check out vids on u tube . Plenty of tips. Plus you need to determine if your mirror is long. Medium or short arm. Mirrors can be found on e bay also. Complete with attachment ring. Or mirrors that just stick over the existing. You don't need to take the mirror off the door so reasonably straight forward.
Yeah, I'll bear that in mind. While all those are useful options while you're at home, it's hard to get anything delivered when you're on the road, not staying more than one night in any place - then, prevention's better than eBay!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Mirror casings are much cheaper than protectors so I'd just buy one of those and bin the protectors.Can't see the point in making the mirrors a bigger target tbh
Not on Carthago A Class’s they’re not😢😢😢

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yeah, I'll bear that in mind. While all those are useful options while you're at home, it's hard to get anything delivered when you're on the road, not staying more than one night in any place - then, prevention's better than eBay!
If you check what you need through e bay you may be lucky in that the supplier is near one of your routes or on a small detour to collect? (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back