Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
A car pulled out in front of me, I managed to slow down but still hit his back end.
He wants to pay cash for repair, which I'm in two minds about until I get professional estimate for repair or replacement.

My worry is how long before I get a replacement front from Hymer ? as against a repair done locally ? There's not much damage its cracked the fibreglass and bent part of the grill, no other damage. Good repair shop could fix easily. Lost the tow bar cover though.

Attachments

• 20230102_111555.jpg
    20230102_111555.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230102_111546.jpg
    20230102_111546.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20230102_111541.jpg
    20230102_111541.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230102_111536.jpg
    20230102_111536.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 141

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't use an auto repair shop they will fill and spray. Find a boat repair man he will do a proper GRP repair finishing off with colour matched gel coat.
I took a big chunk out of the front of my last Hymer got a boat guy to do it, hemade a suberb repair and half the cost of a body shop.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
The same as mine, I also had someone hit the front bumper, check the price from Brownhills, just over £1500.00. When I was in Germany I brought some "PLASTIC" welding rods and repaired it myself, not a bad repair, mine was worse than yours, check it out

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The same as mine, I also had someone hit the front bumper, check the price from Brownhills, just over £1500.00. When I was in Germany I brought some "PLASTIC" welding rods and repaired it myself, not a bad repair, mine was worse than yours, check it out
Hymer front end is GRP I don't see how plastic welding could work.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Not wishing to argue with you Lenny, but my front and rear bumpers ARE plastic, I worked for a time in a GRP company, so I DO know the difference between GRP and plastic, below is an ad for plastic rods
EBay item number 281165525787

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not wishing to argue with you Lenny, but my front and rear bumpers ARE plastic, I worked for a time in a GRP company, so I DO know the difference between GRP and plastic, below is an ad for plastic rods
EBay item number 281165525787
I have only ever seen GRP front ends on Hymer A Class vans, back ends vary my rear bumper is aluminium and the top rear moulding is capped abs.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Lenny, if we are in a field somewhere a lot of funsters know me, come over and say hello, have a beer and check out my front and rear end, of the Hymer that is 👍🍻

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Shouldn't be painted its a gel coat finish.
I was planning on over spraying a gel coat finish on the pop top of an old caravan using rattle cans for simplicity. What would be the implications of this?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
3 weeks after collecting our current MH it sustained minor damage to the NS rear corner. A gentleman caught the rear corner as he was reversing out of parking bay. He admitted liability strightaway. That was Nov 2021. It finally goes into repair shop on 16th Jan 2023, 13months after incident. I must admit the first 4 months was getting written confirmation from my insurance company that the 3rd party will be paying my access. The rest of the delay was down to availability of parts and workshop slot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was planning on over spraying a gel coat finish on the pop top of an old caravan using rattle cans for simplicity. What would be the implications of this?
It can be done, all the silver vans are sprayed on top of grp just not the correct way of doing it when the original finish is gel coat.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
A car pulled out in front of me, I managed to slow down but still hit his back end.
He wants to pay cash for repair, which I'm in two minds about until I get professional estimate for repair or replacement.

My worry is how long before I get a replacement front from Hymer ? as against a repair done locally ? There's not much damage its cracked the fibreglass and bent part of the grill, no other damage. Good repair shop could fix easily. Lost the tow bar cover though.
Its a positive that the other guy is admitting responsibility 👍 Could be well worth keeping any records of them offering to settle and therefore admitting liability....appreciate we dont know the full facts, but a 100% rear end shunt would usually be pinned on the vehicle behind in the absence of other info/video.
Sounds like the other party is being reasonable and it gets fixed soon 👍

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
A white van man hit our daughters Golf last year which was parked outside our house.

We saw him do it and drive off, I was just getting out of my car, I had to jump back in my car and get it off our drive which is usually a slow 4/5 point turn at the best of times (I did it in 2) to follow (chase) him and alert him to what he'd done! He claimed he'd not realised he'd hit it. Anyway when he drove back up he admitted to it, I think it helped that he clocked the CCTV. He then asked to settle it in cash.

I personally would never do this again, it was hassle getting in touch with him, he tried to get us to go to a backstreet body shop when it was still under warranty, daughter wanted it to go to a VW garage. She had to take her own time going and getting quotes, take time off to drop and collect the vehicle and pay out up front and then he short changed her by about £35 which really pi$$ed me off. Really he should have given her an extra £35 for all the hassle he caused her and for being so accommodating.

I'm glad he's admitted liability for you, but I would say alot of people totally underestimate the cost of repairs these days and this is when you may start to have hassle. By then it could be however long down the road. It would be insurance for me everytime.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
a lot of people totally underestimate the cost of repairs these days and this is when you may start to have hassle. By then it could be however long down the road. It would be insurance for me everytime.
I refused cash from a very persistent guy for a repair to my car, probably because (as he eventually admitted) that he didn't have any insurance.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
I refused cash from a very persistent guy for a repair to my car, probably because (as he eventually admitted) that he didn't have any insurance.
He definitely had insurance on his van, I checked it out. I think he wanted it doing independently so he could doctor the receipt and claim it back against his tax as a repair to his van.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
How do you check the insurance on the other guy ?

We took photos of the junction, his car inc registration, his driving licence and got his picture by his car too. Our towing eye also punctured his rear bumper, he admitted liability. I would rather a repair as that probably what the insurance would do as the damage is not too bad, and supply times would be long (I guess), I've emailed Travelworld for new bumper (and tow eye cover) for quote.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
How do you check the insurance on the other guy ?

We took photos of the junction, his car inc registration, his driving licence and got his picture by his car too. Our towing eye also punctured his rear bumper, he admitted liability. I would rather a repair as that probably what the insurance would do as the damage is not too bad, and supply times would be long (I guess), I've emailed Travelworld for new bumper (and tow eye cover) for quote.
I dont think you can ...data protection and all that.

IMHO its a gamble...trouble is notifying your insurance for a small prang could mean endless paperwork and even potentially a higher premium for you ...set against the risk of a poor repair or this guy not paying up when the time comes. Mind you, if this guy allowed you to photo his driving licence, he does sound like he's genuine as you have his home address now as well !

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
One more thing is to get down underneath the front of the van and check that there is nothing bent behind the plastic/GRP bumper. I got hit from behind once in a Focus - the plastic bumper looked like it hadn't got a mark on it, but the steel cross-beam behind was bent by about 2-3 inches... The plastic had just sprung back.

cheers,

Robin

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Your insurance company can easily find out his insurance details. They share them as I found out when hit head on by an idiot high on drugs and travelling on the wrong side of the road.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
You can check if another vehicle is insured, it won't tell you any personal details or who it's insured with, it will be a yes or no.

Google it, the only catch is you have to tick a box to say it's your vehicle but you don't enter any of your own details so 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
You can check if another vehicle is insured, it won't tell you any personal details or who it's insured with, it will be a yes or no.

Google it, the only catch is you have to tick a box to say it's your vehicle but you don't enter any of your own details so 🤷🏼‍♀️
You’ll find it on the dvla site

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
This is still ongoing with my insurance. Got the front repaired, they cut a section out, replaced bumper and bothe radiators as they were bent as well.

Now have legal cover people onto other driver, he hasn't put in a counter claim even though his rear bumper was damaged. His insurance company is playing hardball,, but our solicitors are confident we'll win. They are claiming 5 months of no moho usage...whatever that adds upto.

I have a feeling the other driver only had daily insurance, not annual insurance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back