Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We are on Le Shuttle next week to France for our first trip since Brexit…

Do they check the contents of your fridge?

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
We are on Le Shuttle next week to France for our first trip since Brexit…

Do they check the contents of your fridge?
They 'profile' I think.

If you're a regular couple of a certain age I would think not. If you're young, maybe. If you're a man travelling alone quite possibly.

(Brittany Ferries made me put my little Swiss army knife with the van cutlery, and I've had various dogs trying to sniff out contraband, but I think the tunnel is generally fairly relaxed.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Since 'B' I've made 5 outward Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossings and there's never been any interest or questions about my fridge contents or even anyone entering into the m/h, just non-interrogational chit-chat and "Is your gas turned off?".
(I used to work right by the port and first encountered that ferry when cars were being craned on and off).

Last edited:
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
We had someone actually come in the van to check the gas was off. Didn't seem interested in anything else.

We came back full loaded with alcohol - right up to our limit and they still didn't check so we could have got a bit more... Might have had a payload issue tho 🤔

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
At your risk I would say. I don't know, but in cases of innocent imports and first time being caught, I suspect it would be seized if found with little or no other sanction, but don't quote me on that. It would appear that it can result in a fine without limit and up to seven years in prison just for the illegal import, and you can be prosecuted for smuggling.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve just gone from Poole to Cherbourg. The nice man apologised for how slow everything was but they had to check the paperwork of one of the vehicles very carefully as he was carrying guns. Perfectly legal as he was just going hunting but it takes ages! We were searched, including the mirror underneath but not our brand new shiny fridge buzzing away powered by a lithium battery.

I just bring what’s left in the fridge. I must admit I don’t fill it like I used to though.

We always get searched. I think it’s because we’re a PVC so relatively small and easy.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We’ve just gone from Poole to Cherbourg. The nice man apologised for how slow everything was but they had to check the paperwork of one of the vehicles very carefully as he was carrying guns. Perfectly legal as he was just going hunting but it takes ages! We were searched, including the mirror underneath but not our brand new shiny fridge buzzing away powered by a lithium battery.

I just bring what’s left in the fridge. I must admit I don’t fill it like I used to though.

We always get searched. I think it’s because we’re a PVC so relatively small and easy.
And the VW vans too….must be a stereotype 😂😂😂. Did you stay at the port the night before ?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
March ‘22 we had customs check…….lifted seats, cupboards, dropped bed down etc etc….opened fridge and freezer and had a quick look but it was basically empty bar an opened milk, choc biscuits, some ice creams etc. There was no way somebody would be hiding in the freezer! Didn’t ask anything about contents. We carry a scooter in the garage so they asked for docs for that. When/where purchased and showed them purchase invoice…..on our way in a few minutes…..all staff very pleasant and no issues.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I heard they are doing fridge searches for everyone now and all your food is confiscated and wasted .... To stop that happening, if you drop it all off at my house I will see that it isn't wasted, please no cheap burgers or sausages, pref steaks, duck, pheasant and the odd bottle of pre duty free .....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have used dfds dunkirk to dover & the reverse for over 12 years. Dunkirk entering uk The french always check inside & roof box nothing else.
Exiting Uk from Dover ,nothing whatsoever by anyone.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Never in the 8 times a year we go on the tunnel since 2009 have they paid any attention to food and drink.

Checked in the van a couple of times under the bed in the wardrobe etc but that’s it.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
They do have heat sensors too don’t they? One time in Portsmouth there was a hold up. They then, after much to-ing and fro-ing, opened a caravan in front of us and took out a family of illegal immigrants.

Was a bit of a show. Two come out … then another one … then two more … then another one … then …

I think it was the heat sensors that alerted them.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
When we returned through Newhaven last March, we were asked by a MAFF official in the customs shed if we were bringing any meat or meat products back into the UK. We said we were’nt and he waived us on. Actually we had lamb chops, onion pate, plus some cooked ham in the fridge/freezer. 😳

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Web have never had the fridge checked, but take the view it is too much faff to worry about. We tend to take the view that we expect people coming to our country to abide by our rules and so try to do the same, regardless of what we think about them.

First job after arriving is stop at a supermarket. Often in France and Spain they have a better selection than the UK, especially, fruit, veg, meat, cheese and fish. Although France felt slightly more expensive in June this year. I am lactose intolerant after a recent illness and they cater for it there, but not as well.

So our advice is take what is allowed, we bring a bag of pasta and tinned salmon so that we know we can rustle up a meal if necessary. Then have fun looking round the supermarkets.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Didn't even check our dogs microchip when sailing from Dover early August
I think they only check the chip on the way to France to ensure it is working and avoid trouble down the line on the way back to the UK.

Edit. I'm thinking about the days when a UK passport was valid. The chip will now have been recently checked for all dogs needing an AHC.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
The only time we have been actively checked was during the mad cow disease crisis a long time ago. We had to discard quite a lot of stuff then. But why bother? Supermarkets sell everything you are likely to want; even cheddar cheese and fresh milk.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we returned through Newhaven last March, we were asked by a MAFF official in the customs shed if we were bringing any meat or meat products back into the UK. We said we were’nt and he waived us on. Actually we had lamb chops, onion pate, plus some cooked ham in the fridge/freezer. 😳
That'd be us but we'd be reimporting what we'd taken abroad and not eaten. 😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back