Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
Exp
2 years
Motorhome - 2020 Peugeot Boxer based Elddis Autoquest Sunseeker 115
Radio - Uconnect Fiat 250 VP2 ECE DAB NAV

Now that the radio is working correctly, I want to fit a decent antenna
The Combiflex 70-915K antenna from InCarTec (local to me in Exeter) looks to fit the bill
Anyone used this, or one similar please?
Thanks
Trev

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Getting decent DAB reception in vehicles is a challenge and a bit pot luck. I've tried a few things and it's still hit and miss. Unlike say FM where the quality simply fades out, DAB either gets enough packets through so the signal can be decoded by the player, or it doesn't and you get that horrible underwater popping type sound if not complete silence.

Most DAB aerials, including the one you show include a power source from the radio to allow some amplification of the signal, and secondly they need a good ground plane. In a metal vehicle including a PVC the ground plane is easy, simply from the shell of the vehicle. In your coachbuilt that ground plane will be more challenging, needing a metal plate somewhere / somehow.

I fitted a similar style Eightwood (Amazon) roof aerial on my PVC. Certainly a lot better than the wing mirror aerial, but it's not perfect and I do still get drop outs (M3 near Winchester is standard) and did mean a new hole in the front of the van roof (which I hope I've adequately rust proofed), plus a lot of tedious prising internal lining s out of the way to get the cables fed through.

OP
OP
TrevMcRev
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
Exp
2 years
OK, been talking to a couple of radio installers and they have convinced me that putting it on the GRP roof isn't a good idea as it wont have a metal plane which is essential for the signal etc

One installer suggests wing mount and the other a DAB external glass mount whip antenna like this one

So, same question again, in that does anyone have any experience of these please?

Thanks
Trev

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I have a glass mount DAB aerial similar to that. It’s not bad but still not perfect. It‘s not quite as good as the aerial in my VW Polo. You just have to accept that there are areas where DAB doesn’t reach. I often use Apple CarPlay to listen to the radio.

OP
OP
TrevMcRev
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
Exp
2 years
Finally got around to fitting the "Acoustic Solutions External Glass Mount" from ebay
For less that £9 its good and better than the other antenna's I've tried, in that here at home its picking up far more channels and they are not dropping out
Off to Portsmouth for the weekend, so will see how the signal goes while out and about
Thanks for the suggestion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Finally got around to fitting the "Acoustic Solutions External Glass Mount" from ebay
For less that £9 its good and better than the other antenna's I've tried, in that here at home its picking up far more channels and they are not dropping out
Off to Portsmouth for the weekend, so will see how the signal goes while out and about
Thanks for the suggestion
Where did you source the necessary cable from aerial to radio? My radio is a Kenwood and needs a SMB right angled female connector, any suggestions?

Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
On our Bailey, I used the radio output on the tv aerial booster (does not need to powered up), works reasonable well on our Pioneer avic sat nav.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back