D-Day celebrations (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
If you are visiting Normandy in the near future then may I suggest visiting the British Normady Memorial. There is a temporary memorial installation which has been set up called "Walking With Giants". It is a truly moving experience in memory of the 1475 personnel killed on D Day. Very clever, very simple, very moving.
Visited it today, and it is sure to get very busy by the time of the 80th celebration!
The people who thought of it and set it up , deserve their own official recognition!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I will be there next month with our son as part of our week in Normandy. There was a piece about the figures on the news. They said they are building an education centre ready for June. It will be called the Churchill centre.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Always avoid the June celebrations in Normandy even more so this year! Just winds me up! Everything cordoned off for the politico's and their press packs, masses of wannabe's, uniform carriers and weekend warrior medal clankers! My Regiment was posted to Tunisia but will pay my respects to Normandy in September.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We will be in the area until about 4th June, looking forward to seeing all the WW2 vehicles on the road.
Stayed in Arromanches back in 2002. All the pubs were full of D-Day veterans, a very memorable and moving experience.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I knew a lot of D Day veterans back in the day. Buy them a drink and they would tell you their story. However running up to the anniversary and over the celebrations they tended to retreat into their sad memories. Not something to celebrate they said, with so many young men lost. Times were very different and so much more brutal back then. People have prayed for years to never see similar ever happen again, but it seems war and death remain facts of life even today

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
1745 killed? I assumed it was a lot more than that, the way they were slaughtered on the beaches.
Been to the area a few times and really moving.

We once went to the huge U.S. cemetery a bit to the west.
9387 graves. Only time I've seen America tourists being silent.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
1745 killed? I assumed it was a lot more than that, the way they were slaughtered on the beaches.
Been to the area a few times and really moving.

We once went to the huge U.S. cemetery a bit to the west.
9387 graves. Only time I've seen America tourists being silent.
+2501 Americans ,total allied deaths on D day 4414

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Do you think we will struggle to get spaces on Aires etc around the region ?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We were there a few years ago when Obama was over there you should have seen the security armed guards on all the bridges and breakdown Lorries everywhere if you stopped they would pull you off within minutes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
We had planned to go there towards the end of may, but we changed plans when we realised this year was the 80th anniversary. It'll be very busy.
We'll go there another year and time of year maybe.
But, this trip is definitely in our agenda.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I knew a lot of D Day veterans back in the day. Buy them a drink and they would tell you their story. However running up to the anniversary and over the celebrations they tended to retreat into their sad memories. Not something to celebrate they said, with so many young men lost. Times were very different and so much more brutal back then. People have prayed for years to never see similar ever happen again, but it seems war and death remain facts of life even today
It’s not a celebration but a commemoration
it’s not a celebration but a commemoration and the two are quite different. It gives us the chance to show our respect and gratitude for the sacrifices made by so many.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I think you’ll be lucky to get on an Aire around the 6th, but in Arromanche they open a big field up for motorhomes where you would have a better chance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back