Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I originally posted this in the wrong group.

Looking for some advice.
I’m starting to plan next summers hols, 17 days total.
Thinking of getting the ferry over to hook of Holland.
Then travelling through Germany into Austria then onto Croatia via Ljubljana.
Stopping in Croatia for a week or so then making our way back.
Probably get as far south as Zadar.
I have heard quite a few bad reports about being ripped off and being over charged excessively in Croatia.
Has anyone had these experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Also what’s the best pass over the alps on this route.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in Croatia now and it's not a rip off.
Prices have certainly risen since they joined the euro but generally cost of living I'd say is still cheaper than Italy and France.
Where Croatia is expensive is campsite fees in peak season, they can be eye watering. 120 euro pn not unusual.
It can be done for less off season and with ACSI card.
But free camping is illegal here and there are reports of people being fined 130 euro.
There are autocamps on restaurant carparks etc but they want 20 euro.
So it can be expensive, but I wouldn't say a rip off as you have a choice.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We did the same route this year, although over 84 days.
When are you planning on travelling, we left North Shields mid April and the ferry price wasn't too bad, £380 including cabin, but peak season the prices are horrendous, £650+, so we came back via Harwich in July.
We used the brenner pass from Austria, and got off at Riva del Garda, I believe it cost us €18, but it was a fast easy drive, 6 hours total from Sigmaringen in Germany to Torbole on Garda, but you can continue further south easily.
For Zadar, we stayed at Falkensteiner camping, €25 per night with ACSI, and found Croatia to be the cheapest place out of all the countries we visited.

Have a look at Simon Meadwell post about Croatia too

Also, don't forgot your emissions pass for Germany, then passes for both Austria and Slovenia

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I originally posted this in the wrong group.

Looking for some advice.
I’m starting to plan next summers hols, 17 days total.
Thinking of getting the ferry over to hook of Holland.
Then travelling through Germany into Austria then onto Croatia via Ljubljana.
Stopping in Croatia for a week or so then making our way back.
Probably get as far south as Zadar.
I have heard quite a few bad reports about being ripped off and being over charged excessively in Croatia.
Has anyone had these experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Also what’s the best pass over the alps on this route.
It’s doable, I did the same trip in 2022 in the same timeframe but we went plitvice lakes for 2 nights then to Krk for 6 nights. Went over the alps there and back, did some roads that were shall we say “interesting” did NOT use a go or dars box and only bought a vignette for Switzerland! overall we had a blast👍
Enjoy your trip👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Looking to go via Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Munich, saltzburg then down to Ljubljana
I hope You’re under 3.5t then👍👍

In Austria, If you have a van conversion and have the N (commercial vehicle) in one of the boxs on your V5 (can’t remember which) you may have to get an additional purple sticker (pickerl) for your van but please do your research and check I’m not talking out of my backside👍😁

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I have had my boxer uprated to 4.5 but it actually only ways 3700
Doesn’t matter what it weighs, it’s what it’s plated at, the question is do you feel lucky?😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I hope You’re under 3.5t then👍👍

In Austria, If you have a van conversion and have the N (commercial vehicle) in one of the boxs on your V5 (can’t remember which) you may have to get an additional purple sticker (pickerl) for your van but please do your research and check I’m not talking out of my backside👍😁
Yes it has N1 in vehicle cat box

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have had my boxer uprated to 4.5 but it actually only ways 3700
As long as it 'looks' like any other German Boxer PVC which are normally 3.5t you can get away with simply buying a Vignette on the German border for Austria.
They have not (yet) upgraded the system to ANPR

However just advising you that motorhomes are occasionally pulled over for going through on a Vignette when you should have a GoBox.
That said we have crossed Austria at least 4 times on a Vignette and we are 3.8t (But exactly the same model as the lower plated German motorhomes)

To cross Slovenia you buy a pass on line.
Their system is entirely electronic, no Vignette stickers, all controlled by ANPR

Given the short time frame of your trip, I'd avoid the spectacular passes, and simply go for speed.

Night boat with cabin to Hook of Holland arriving at 7am
I'd take the left side of the Rhein down as you avoid most of the Ruhrgebiet cities
Turn east at Heidelberg
Nurnberg
Then head due south to Munich
And cross into Austria at Salzburg
Take the A10 to Villach, the pass follows the valley floor, and is motorway all the way, it's probably the fastest easiest (least spectacular) crossing of the Alps.
Then head for Ljubljana and then Zadar.

With two drivers, you could do it in two long days drive, and it's about 1,600km at 100kmph (60mph) is 16hrs drive time.
I drove Hook to Falkenstein in Zadar last summer, one driver, took about 10 days to get there and 5 days to get back, but we were not 'on the clock'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
1726324777118.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun