CROATIA 2017 (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
As our winter trip is drawing to an end we are starting to think about the next one. Our thoughts are turning to Croatia. We like beautiful scenery, mountains, the coast and no crowds. Any advice on places to visit, memorable campsites and routes would be appreciated. We will have about 7 weeks in all, have a dog and can't leave England before mid June (expected arrival of another grandchild, they will keep wrecking our travel plans!!) Would it be worth purchasing an ACSI card thingy.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Bear Camp at Plitvice - easy cycle ride to Plitvice National Park, which is a 'must visit' in Croatia

http://www.campercontact.com/en/cro...rking-bear-camp-plitvice.aspx?filter=|&src=as

A couple of tips for prospective visitors;
Wild camping is illegal.
Fuel is cheaper in Croatia than Italy so fill up when you get there.
Avoid July and August if possible cos its full of Italians and Germans.
Wine and food is good

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In essence, aim for May and June as in peak season campsite prices are too high. (30 Euro's plus, no wild camping). Nearly all the campsites are in the Istria region (Fantastic area) and you will get many at ACSI prices during this period. On the way down, stop at Lake Bled (Camping Bled) you will be blown away and on the way back visit Ljubljana. (I have put some pictures in the showcase section).
As for route, well if you have 7 weeks I would suggest Dover-Dunkerque -Luxemberg, for the cheap fuel then into Germany and down through Austria. (Consider the Romantic road, and the Eagles nest on route) and Strasbourg on the way home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The coast road is a great drive and never short of a site or camper stop they are all the way down the coast. Only found one site that took ACSA but most of the bigger ones give a discount for a camping card. Only managed one wild night we are not very keen on using sites, used mainly the smaller sites they call Auto camper sites.

Info on our trip here.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We went September 2016, main season was over ACSI was accepted on most sites. even then though some sites were full, Split was one...

Plitvice is a must, though we stayed at the ACSI site and used their bus to get in, dog as well..meant we were able to go in at gate 2, take the 'train' to the top and walk back to gate one for the bus back...It would difficult for a dog in peak season..It needs a full day.

Krk was great, Pag was something totally different, Murter and Tisno, Coastal road, Krka National Park is Plitvice lite, (just ignore the width restriction)..There was so much to see everywhere.

Austria and Slovenia are a must, Bled is OK but the lake nearby Bohinj is so much nicer.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Check whether ACSI is valid when you are going, but the ACSI card for us is a must every year anyway. We loved Istria, and the campsites there are lovely. We drove down to Dubrovnik but it's a long way to go to see what is a very busy, touristy city, packed with people when the cruise ships disgorge their cargo of tourists every day! There are lovely campsites as far as Split, but not sure I would go any further down the coast than that.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Check whether ACSI is valid when you are going, but the ACSI card for us is a must every year anyway. We loved Istria, and the campsites there are lovely. We drove down to Dubrovnik but it's a long way to go to see what is a very busy, touristy city, packed with people when the cruise ships disgorge their cargo of tourists every day! There are lovely campsites as far as Split, but not sure I would go any further down the coast than that.

We enjoyed the coast from Split to the Bosnian border and we will againto visit more of the islands..The ACSI campsite at Zaostrog, Camping Viter stood out.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We enjoyed the coast from Split to the Bosnian border and we will againto visit more of the islands..The ACSI campsite at Zaostrog, Camping Viter stood out.
Yes you're right, the stretch of coast that belongs to Bosnia was very pretty, but not sure I would go any further than that.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We are also thinking of Croatia this year, but not till September, will the campsites be open and what kind of weather could we expect?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We are also thinking of Croatia this year, but not till September, will the campsites be open and what kind of weather could we expect?
We went September - October, Only found one site closed. September about 26-30 deg October 23-26deg. in 4-5 weeks only about 3 rainy days most of the time wall to wall sunshine.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The coast of Montenegro is good as the Dalmatian one. And it's a lot cheaper, Kotor is a mini Dubrovnik and they use the euro. As far as wild camping is concerned we spent nearly 3 weeks last March coming through both Countries on the way back from Greece. Absolutely no problems wild camping. The area just north of Dubrovnik is famous for its oysters that have a reddish tinge to them. By far the best I've had on 4 continents.

Dick

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yes you're right, the stretch of coast that belongs to Bosnia was very pretty, but not sure I would go any further than that.
You should go further , you are missing out on Albania, a fantastic sit is lake skoder resort

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We are planning a September visit, ferry from Barcelona to Italy the from Italy over to Croatia. Not booked the Italian ferries but have booked Plym to Santander last week August. So watching this thread for others doing same at that time for crossing paths!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We are planning a September visit, ferry from Barcelona to Italy the from Italy over to Croatia. Not booked the Italian ferries but have booked Plym to Santander last week August. So watching this thread for others doing same at that time for crossing paths!
That sounds like a very expensive way of getting there, do hope you enjoy the trip.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We are thinking of Slovenia in May/June 2018 so thanks for all of the above.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Great info, might be heading home this way in September
Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My favourite picture of lake Bled.
IMG_4303.JPG

Steve Taylor

Free Member
Jul 7, 2010
Greatstone on Sea, Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2009
Watching this as well, my daughter has just announced that she will be getting married near Split on the 19th August, peak season I know but we will stay in the region till the end of November.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Good, in our experience
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 21

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I recommend Ston, old walled city, although they still doing some work!!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 17
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
What are the roads like in Croatia?
On the coast road it's all good quality black top but it's very twisty and up and down especially around coves and inlets but the coachs and trucks seem to manage easily
We certainly had no problems

The coast line from Rijeka down to Starigrad is stunning full of little sites all along coast line and vary from €8 to €15 a night (late September to mid October )
With the large sites on acsi from €14 to €20 a night

Don't expect sandy beaches it's a rocky coastline but most of sites have some way for you to get into the sea for a swim

We spent 6 weeks going slowly down and back up and I would definitely go back
It's not called the romantic road for nothing and some of the villages are fantastic with the major towns being very busy

Price wise I think it's on par with Spain plenty of lidels and such all along road side
With road side traders fruit and veg
If you do get below ploce try the local honey especially the lavender
We never went past the border with Bosnia not enough time but definitely on cards for next time

Stunning country great people and some of the best fish and shellfish meals ever
Go slowly and enjoy

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back