Credit Card Recommendations for Traveling Overseas (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

RWA

Aug 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Pegaso
Which credit cards or prepaid ones do you use when travelling abroad
Hyperjar. Zero costs for the card and for any FX. It's brilliant and you can share funds between family members. There are also loads of discounts on spending with various large retailers.

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
Used Halifax Clarity abroad for maybe 30 years now, no problems, as others have said - only thing I’d add is I always pay it off when I’m home rather than when the statement arrives to avoid interest charge.

Dec 16, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Sprinter (Selfbuild)
Exp
Since 2006
Currensea card highly recommended. Just returned from trip travelling through France, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden it worked everywhere linked to your UK current account no fees and good exchange rate. You dont have to add funds so no risk if they go bust like Revolut which is not protected by the FSCA system. You get an email within minutes showing your purchase in local currency and in GBP which is deducted from your UK bank a few days later. And its Free

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I use the Curve card - as recommended by Minxy some time ago, linked to our Tesco credit card and my Lloyds bank card.
This means all spending is on Tesco so we get full points as well but no overseas charges. 👍🏻 It has a “don’t embarrass me” feature which means if for some reason the Tesco card didn’t work, it would use my bank card as a backup straight away.
Still have Revolut and Clarity, but not really used much. Only use Revolut as a savings account.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
This year our Santander credit card did not work in many situations. Luckily we took some cash.
With Halifax Clarity card, 2 major petrol stations would not accept it on a 2500 mile road trip. Always have a back up card and euro 100 cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use Halifax clarity and chase cards. We take hardly any cash now and generally never get any out when were away.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
We have what we call a" Holiday card" with not too much credit on it,in case we get scammed ,use it in UK and abroad when on holiday . Use MasterCard never bother about charges

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
Which credit cards or prepaid ones do you use when travelling abroad
I spend 12 months in Europe usually in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal. I use cards all the time through ApplePay and so far my experiences are not negative. I use Visa attached to my German bank account.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
As Lenny said at the start, Revolut loaded with local currency (usually Euros) and Halifax Clarity for fuel. I’ve only ever had one issue with Revolut when using it for fuel where it preauthorised my card then declined the transaction. The preauthorised amount took a couple of weeks to return to account as ‘available to spend’. For that reason alone I now use Clarity for fuel. FYI the initial ‘declined’ transaction with Revolut went through no issues with Clarity. We use Revolut for everything else, food shopping, restaurants, site fees and so on. The basic account (no subscription) allows you to draw out £200 cash per month which could be a limitation for some. I find these days I hardly ever use cash so for me anyway this wouldn’t be a problem. It is useful to carry some cash just in case the card machine isn’t working or to leave meal tips.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For those claiming they have "Free" foreign exchange.
There ain't no such thing!

No Bank or Company (possibly with the exception of those laundering drugs money) does FX for free.
FX costs money, they only person paying for it is the customer.
The 'free' cost is usually buried in the rate or a 'user fee'

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

No Bank or Company (possibly with the exception of those laundering drugs money) does FX for free.
I beg to differ. As I pointed out in a previous post if you use mainstream banks, do the transaction in Euros and pay the balance off the same day it can be done. Just spent 8 weeks in Europe doing exactly that. There were a few machines where it wanted to charge me and I just declined the transaction. And we were getting €1.16-17 to the £. Banks rely on most people not paying it off and therefore accruing interest. Most but not all charge for the transaction. Get the right card.

Jul 30, 2013
Normanton, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2010@

Never paid for any foreign currency transactions in the 14 years of using my Halifax Clarity credit card.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I beg to differ. As I pointed out in a previous post if you use mainstream banks, do the transaction in Euros and pay the balance off the same day it can be done. Just spent 8 weeks in Europe doing exactly that. There were a few machines where it wanted to charge me and I just declined the transaction. And we were getting €1.16-17 to the £. Banks rely on most people not paying it off and therefore accruing interest. Most but not all charge for the transaction. Get the right card.
Someone, somewhere is paying.

Otherwise there would not 7,500,000,000,000 (7.5 trillion) business in the City of London converting one currency to another.

Ask two two people who made their fortune from trading FX.
Nigel Farage and Rishi Sunak !
(You can also guess who would lose money if the UK had switched to the €uro)

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Someone, somewhere is paying.

Otherwise there would not 7,500,000,000,000 (7.5 trillion) business in the City of London converting one currency to another.

Ask two two people who made their fortune from trading FX.
Nigel Farage and Rishi Sunak !
(You can also guess who would lose money if the UK had switched to the €uro)
That’s not what you said. You intimated that you could not do FX without charges. Yes you can. You’ve also got to consider we didn’t just use it for currency, fuel, shopping, meals out etc. Despite the fact we didn’t have to pay any transaction fees the card issuer still makes money from each transaction. Despite it being issued by the Halifax it’s a Mastercard. They trade across the whole world. Did I also tell you that I use a different reward card at home and generally get between £10-15 per month back without any fees? I pay the card in full every month so as not to accrue any interest. Would you also argue that’s not possible? Yes someone is paying for it, as these companies are making £billions. But don’t say it can’t be done when it clearly can.

Aug 4, 2010
Potton, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
This trip we have been using our Caxton prepaid card. We top it up when Caxton offer enhanced exchange rates. Had it accepted everywhere except a SuperU garage and that was because I didn’t have 200€ on it at the time. I can only think SuperU have been swindled at some time or another to make this demand. It worked well for us but should perhaps look at other options for the future.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That’s not what you said. You intimated that you could not do FX without charges. Yes you can. You’ve also got to consider we didn’t just use it for currency, fuel, shopping, meals out etc. Despite the fact we didn’t have to pay any transaction fees the card issuer still makes money from each transaction. Despite it being issued by the Halifax it’s a Mastercard. They trade across the whole world. Did I also tell you that I use a different reward card at home and generally get between £10-15 per month back without any fees? I pay the card in full every month so as not to accrue any interest. Would you also argue that’s not possible? Yes someone is paying for it, as these companies are making £billions. But don’t say it can’t be done when it clearly can.
I'd still say you can not do FX without charges.
Someone, somewhere always has to pay.
And you can guarantee the payee will not be the bank!

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I'd still say you can not do FX without charges.
Someone, somewhere always has to pay.
And you can guarantee the payee will not be the bank!
We’ll have to differ on your first point. There’s plenty of others following this post that will also differ with you. Used properly it’s possible to get FX without any fees or charges and at the full exchange rate. My last cash transaction was for €100. Cost me £85.23. Paid off the same day. No fees no interest. Work it out yourself.
In your second point yes you are right. It’s those that are encouraged to use these cards to get cash goods or services and then choose not to or can’t afford to pay it off. They get charged interest daily on any money they’ve drawn and well over 20% annually on outstanding balances. Many just make the minimum payment per month never actually reducing their debt? Why do you think the card companies make it so easy? They are relying on you using the card and not paying it off.
On your 3rd point the banks make billions off these cards despite everyone being able to use them without fees due to the above.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Revolut DOES NOT limit cash withdrawals from ATMs to £200 per month.

You can withdraw more if you want... the £200 per each month is free of fees... for over £200 they charge a fee... I can't tell you the fees because I never need to use that much cash.

JJ :cool:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Revolut DOES NOT limit cash withdrawals from ATMs to £200 per month.

You can withdraw more if you want... the £200 per each month is free of fees... for over £200 they charge a fee... I can't tell you the fees because I never need to use that much cash.

Many, but not all, of the rest have a limit of around £200-250 per DAY free of charge for ATM withdrawals.

As mentioned above, £200 in a month would not get you far in places that are more cash oritated, such as Germany.
Even 5 years ago I'd have said the majority of smaller German shops, restaurants, hotels etc did not take cards.
Now I'd say the majority of even the smaller place do take cards.

But even today, if you try to pay by card for a bier outside the rathaus, they will have to make a trip to the cashier to get the machine

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I know original question was about credit card, but...

I'm just using my usual Nationwide debit card for everything in Europe - not seen any difference compared to home (bar one refusal at an aire).

No faff, no transfers, no limits, no fees, good Fx rate (and being the FlexPlus, I also have recovery, travel & phone insurance).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Many, but not all, of the rest have a limit of around £200-250 per DAY free of charge for ATM withdrawals.

As mentioned above, £200 in a month would not get you far in places that are more cash oritated, such as Germany.
Even 5 years ago I'd have said the majority of smaller German shops, restaurants, hotels etc did not take cards.
Now I'd say the majority of eve

n the smaller place do take cards.

But even today, if you try to pay by card for a bier outside the rathaus, they will have to make a trip to the cashier to get the machine

Are you telling me that by using my Revolut card for all the years and years that I have, in all the different shops and restaurants that I have with no problems at all, I have been doing it wrong?

Rule One prevents me from further comment! ;-)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The bank exchange rate this very moment is £1-€1.1828 I’d like to see anyone get this today, on revolt now you get €1.1802 that’s where the banks make money on your exchanges….😎

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Are you telling me that by using my Revolut card for all the years and years that I have, in all the different shops and restaurants that I have with no problems at all, I have been doing it wrong?

Rule One prevents me from further comment! ;-)

As I said, it all depends on the location.
Big cities, cards are not a problem.
In rural areas the local restaurant, Bar, shop. It's simple. Many are 'Cash Only'

The same applies even to the UK.
Especially the seaside towns, it's amazing that there are still 'cash only' businesses today, when market traders have had card machines for years and now even the buskers, beggars and Scouts can take card payments on the street.

(Our local Scout group went cash free in 2016, no more weekly subs in the tobacco tin which is what we used to do when I were but a lad)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We’ll have to differ on your first point. There’s plenty of others following this post that will also differ with you. Used properly it’s possible to get FX without any fees or charges and at the full exchange rate. My last cash transaction was for €100. Cost me £85.23. Paid off the same day. No fees no interest. Work it out yourself.
In your second point yes you are right. It’s those that are encouraged to use these cards to get cash goods or services and then choose not to or can’t afford to pay it off. They get charged interest daily on any money they’ve drawn and well over 20% annually on outstanding balances. Many just make the minimum payment per month never actually reducing their debt? Why do you think the card companies make it so easy? They are relying on you using the card and not paying it off.
On your 3rd point the banks make billions off these cards despite everyone being able to use them without fees due to the above.

I think the point is that somewhere you will be paying for a foreign currency exchange. Yes you might not pay a fee, or any interest but there is an exchange rate. You mention a 'full exchange rate '. What even is that? The decent cards will will often say they will give you the MasterCard or Visa rate which is as good as it gets. But even then they will be taking a cut from the wholesale exchange rate which you will never get. So, yes you will pay for it. Everyone does.

BTW - take cash out if an ATM with Barclaycard rewards and there will be no interest as long as you pay it off by the payment date in the next statement - which could be 6 weeks away.

Personally I use Chase which has my money in it anyway - then it just comes out of my account converted immediately - no charges, MasterCard exchange rate and 1% cashback. No worries and effectively being paid to use it.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I use chase, the rate is as good as any and I keep all my money in a chase booster rate account 5.1% and put it in the ordinary account instantly as and when required and just use the card and get 1% cashback, €50 cash will do me over 2 months…

Card for everything…😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back