Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
I arrived back from 5 weeks touring Spain and Portugal in the early hours of Saturday and, checking the van over yesterday, discovered that the hab door window panel has cracked right across the middle. As far as I know nothing struck it, so I am assuming that it is a stress fracture from vibration. Anyone had anything similar on this pane? I believe that a replacement is a little over £200 with a 12+ week wait, so this morning's task is a temporary repair so we can get off this afternoon to the Wye Valley with my grandchild, son and daughter in law for three days.

Since it is a non-opening window, I am thinking of opening the crack a little with a dremel grinder then stuffing it with black 522. I was even wondering, if I was clever with a bit of black rubber, perhaps I could glue that on top and make it look as if it was meant and save myself £200. :)

20240915_091642 - smlr.jpg
20240915_091656 - smlr.jpg
20240915_091709 - smlr.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Definitely drill a couple of small holes, one at each end of the crack to stop it getting bigger ... It might be interesting to see the fixings (if any) or frame itself caused the fracture - no point replacing at this time of something might cause it to happen again .

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
no need to drill any holes - the crack runs across the full width of the perspex panel. At the moment I am just concerned about making sure I don't get any damp seeping in if we have any heavy rain. At the end of the day I am sure I'll replace the panel - it's too obvious and will offend my sense of doing a job properly.

I don't actually had a clue how the perspex is fixed, I am assuming that is it taped / glued on

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
As a temporary fix and to stop water getting in could you cover the crack with clear waterproof tape ? Any DIY store should have it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Dremmeled out the crack to make a proper groove. Tidied up the edges with a knife. Filled with black sika 522. Perfectly good enough seal while I source a replacement. From a distance it's hardly noticeable as a fault, the crack was polite enough to be nearly symmetrical across the width of the door!!! 😂

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
ToGoldlyBo Swift maybe different but Auto Trail don't/won't sell the windows seperatly any more. A complete door for my Mohawk is £2718.87 plus VAT fitting and any decals would be extra. I did find a company CaravanCrazy HERE that do just the windows mine was quoted at £450 plus VAT. I am told they are 1 piece the outer flat part and the domed internal part, the external part is boded directly to the door panel and apparently getting it off is difficult.

As you have a Swift MH you may have better luck.

My crack is smaller but across the bit you look through so covering over is not really possible, for yours if it was me I would use something like Blackout Film HERE make a template and cutout a hole the shape of the internal window and that would cover over the external crack.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You can ask motorhome‐heroes.com for a quote, they are insurance approved if your insurance covers body glass, I found them to be helpful when National Windscreens subbed my windscreen out to them. Superglue also works on these kinds of cracks and dries clear.

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
I found this information on another discussion thread for another swift. The website says that the windows are made to order, so make sure you order the right one as there are no returns! The current price on their site is around £220. But now I need to chase a part number for mine.

Window is available separately if it breaks, don't listen to Swift who will try amd sell a whole door
Item Name:
Habitation door Glazing only 1400162 SE15910127X12540P
SKU: 9104122291
RRP: £175.00 + VAT
Lead time: 6-8 weeks

Leisureshopdirect.com

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes Lenny, good point. If I have to replace the door then it will be a claim.
If glass is covered on your policy for cab and han claim anyway as those types of claims are generally ignored by insurers when renewing so don't affect premiums or NCD. Some insurers don't even want to know of glass claims.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I had the same happen across the glass on my Hab door (Autotrail) earlier this year and I had it replaced. The Autotrail factory in Grimsby had to order the glass to come from Germany and it took about 9 weeks. When it arrived I booked my van in at Grimsby and the glass was replaced in a few hours. I claimed on my insurance and only had to pay the first £75 The cost was around £270 and I was told it wouldn't effect my NCB.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
I found this information on another discussion thread for another swift. The website says that the windows are made to order, so make sure you order the right one as there are no returns! The current price on their site is around £220. But now I need to chase a part number for mine.

Window is available separately if it breaks, don't listen to Swift who will try amd sell a whole door
Item Name:
Habitation door Glazing only 1400162 SE15910127X12540P
SKU: 9104122291
RRP: £175.00 + VAT
Lead time: 6-8 weeks

Leisureshopdirect.com

Thats very helpfull thankyou. Just got a price for my Mohawk £153.06 + VAT PP £19.00 + VAT

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
My assessment is that the panel flexes too much for the glazing. It forces corner to corner, twisting and the door lacks stiffness. Since the glazing appears bonded all the way around, it creates a stiff centre to the door.

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
I've tried glueing acrylic before without much success. Although the glue appears to work, including super glue, the joint remains brittle and breaks easily. Since this door by it's very nature suffers a lot of vibration during transit was well as slamming and swinging in the wind, I have no expectations from glues.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
I will be ordering a replacement from Leisureshopdirect but before I do I'm trying to find out what they are bonded with and how to de-bond it. Not sure if I would be able to pass a windscreen cutting wire throught to the inside and work that around to cut the adhesive.

Sika 295 UV is used in the marine industry to bond Acrylic windows to boats so would be ok to use on the MH.

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
I decided that for removal, iI'd take a jigsaw to it and cut the centre of the pane out in the transparent area. That would give me more edges to get at.

Curiously I came upon the leisure shop direct link on a thread that began differently. The op was complaining about a brand new swift on which the top half of the pane was completely loose. It came from the factory with only the bottom half bonded and the top flapping loose!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back