Covering ferry costs in 'get you home' policies (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
We recently had the misfortune to have a bearing disintegrate while on a trip. The van(HymerB544) was undrivable. We had to get back from West Yorkshire to the Isle of Bute (West of Scotland).

We contacted our insurer (Adrian Flux -we have been with them for 5 years) and explained the situation. Their contractor,Hadleigh Breakdown,was brilliant up to the point of getting onto a ferry to "get us home". We had to pay the bill (£220!) for the transporter and van to be taken to our home. Obviously,we paid this - no option, really.

When I challenged both companies that a Get You Home policy was not actually going to get us home unless we added some dosh, I was advised : "ferries are not included, see Page 12, paragraph 6 of the policy booklet".

In one respect "fair cop" - I should have read the small print. On researching this further I note that the same "get you home policy" will get you home from Europe - as long as you pay the ferry bill. Thus this issue affects all those who live in UK and may have to cross water via a ferry. Bizarrely, if I lived in John O Groats and broken down in Cornwall, I would have been covered - although the recovery would have been far more expensive for the insurer than our 220 mile tasking.

The exam question therefore is: Does anyone know of a provider who will cover the ferry costs ?

Thanks in advance.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The exam question therefore is: Does anyone know of a provider who will cover the ferry costs ?
No, and am guessing it's unlikely at any affordable cover.

Imagine the ferry being a large ship and costs associated, they would find it hard to cover every ferry option or eventuality..

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
No, and am guessing it's unlikely at any affordable cover.

Imagine the ferry being a large ship and costs associated, they would find it hard to cover every ferry option or eventuality..
Yep - and as an insurance say sorry we can't cover you. Or they could take your money and then hide stuff in the online t's&c's 🤬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We recently had the misfortune to have a bearing disintegrate while on a trip. The van(HymerB544) was undrivable. We had to get back from West Yorkshire to the Isle of Bute (West of Scotland).

We contacted our insurer (Adrian Flux -we have been with them for 5 years) and explained the situation. Their contractor,Hadleigh Breakdown,was brilliant up to the point of getting onto a ferry to "get us home". We had to pay the bill (£220!) for the transporter and van to be taken to our home. Obviously,we paid this - no option, really.

When I challenged both companies that a Get You Home policy was not actually going to get us home unless we added some dosh, I was advised : "ferries are not included, see Page 12, paragraph 6 of the policy booklet".

In one respect "fair cop" - I should have read the small print. On researching this further I note that the same "get you home policy" will get you home from Europe - as long as you pay the ferry bill. Thus this issue affects all those who live in UK and may have to cross water via a ferry. Bizarrely, if I lived in John O Groats and broken down in Cornwall, I would have been covered - although the recovery would have been far more expensive for the insurer than our 220 mile tasking.

Thanks in advance.
We were recovered from Spain by Hadleigh breakdown. We didn't have to pay anything to get the van back. They do have a limit of £3,000. However due to the complete balls up by the claims handlers in France (RAC intl) and the stress caused by the Spanish breakdown Company, they agreed to pay the extra costs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
The issue is that the cost of the transporter plus the van is considerably more than the ferry fare for the van alone. In our case for a short ferry crossing in Scotland, this was £220 as compared to £30 !

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
When we had an accident in France a couple of years ago Comfort brought the van back to a localish garage where it was repaired so obviously the breakdown cover covered the ferry back to the UK. We just picked it up from the garage once it had been repaired.
Thank you, we will look at them😁. But will check the Ts&C's very carefully!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would think if you have already for your return ferry that would be refunded or changed to help with the return.
That is probably why they say you have to have a return booked or you are not covered.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
A couple of very good reputable motorhome garages in West Yorkshire are Auto-Tec David Peel Auto Electricians Keighley (do everything from cars to trucks & recovery) to Calder Motorhomes near Dewsbury (do cars vans & motorhomes. Both can cater for 3axle vans.
For those with a larger motorhome like a Morelo or Concorde on the heavy chassis, the first one.
Hope you got it home safely

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We broke down in Calais and the MH was transported at no cost to us back to our UK address by Britannia/ LV European BD cover.
That's good to know as we have gone for lv breakdown this time but never heard much about their service but I suppose you only hear about it if someone is complaining.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I thought most breakdown cover stipulated having a return ferry booked or would be charged.

I've had to use my safeguard breakdown twice in the past and they did a great job both times . Fortunately no ferries involved though.

I'm curious though why you didn't get the wheel bearing fixed where you were as surely cheaper and better than returning home. I had a rear one collapse last year in Italy and I was booked on ferry to Greece the next day so I just limped on to ferry and had the bearing replaced in Greece.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our Spanish motorhome insurance gives me an option of Recovery to home or taken to a repairer to fix the problem, if repairs cannot be done we get put into a hotel of 4 star minimum for maximum of 4 nights......Ive always opted for getting it repaired then continue our journey/holiday..
Having a broken vehicle is no use to us...and even more so at home...it still needs repairing
In the past 10 years...we have had...Clutch, Alternator, Wheel bearing/Brake caliper oil pressure switch and a couple of blow outs.....some have taken days to sort... especially in Norway...but we have always preferred to stay and sleep in the motorhome to safeguard the contents...we regard these unfortunate incidents as part of owning a motorhome...

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our Spanish motorhome insurance gives me an option of Recovery to home or taken to a repairer to fix the problem, if repairs cannot be done we get put into a hotel of 4 star minimum for maximum of 4 nights......Ive always opted for getting it repaired then continue our journey/holiday..
Having a broken vehicle is no use to us...and even more so at home...it still needs repairing
In the past 10 years...we have had...Clutch, Alternator, Wheel bearing/Brake caliper oil pressure switch and a couple of blow outs.....some have taken days to sort... especially in Norway...but we have always preferred to stay and sleep in the motorhome to safeguard the contents...we regard these unfortunate incidents as part of owning a motorhome...
Problem with that for us, is we can do all you mentioned there ourselves at home,
I can't remember the last time we have had a motorhome in a garage, must be talking around 30 years so it would come very hard to have to pay for something we can do ourselves, unless it's something trivial like tyres or something we would just want to get it home, they wouldn't have to pay for us to go back either.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The issue is that the cost of the transporter plus the van is considerably more than the ferry fare for the van alone. In our case for a short ferry crossing in Scotland, this was £220 as compared to £30 !
Did you ask for a breakdown (no pun intended) of the cost of the ferry fares for recovery vehicle?

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Problem with that for us, is we can do all you mentioned there ourselves at home,
I can't remember the last time we have had a motorhome in a garage, must be talking around 30 years so it would come very hard to have to pay for something we can do ourselves, unless it's something trivial like tyres or something we would just want to get it home, they wouldn't have to pay for us to go back either.
OK...of course if you have the ability and the facilities....but we are in our van for a 4/5 month summer trip here in Spain...the last place I want to go is home...therefore I'm quite prepared to keep our wheels turning at any cost....😃🇪🇦👍

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know the cost of the fares for the recovery vehicle and driver -because I paid for it.
Ah, I thought you just had to reimburse them for the cost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
I thought most breakdown cover stipulated having a return ferry booked or would be charged.

I've had to use my safeguard breakdown twice in the past and they did a great job both times . Fortunately no ferries involved though.

I'm curious though why you didn't get the wheel bearing fixed where you were as surely cheaper and better than returning home. I had a rear one collapse last year in Italy and I was booked on ferry to Greece the next day so I just limped on to ferry and had the bearing replaced in Greece.
The breakdown happened on the second last day of our trip - and we both had to get home for work.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The breakdown happened on the second last day of our trip - and we both had to get home for work.
Of course...there still remains many on Fun who actually need to go to work... schedules and available time is limited....not everyone can sit on a garage forecourt until the work is completed, just how we have done in the past...being retired..having time to get repairs done...getting home in your case is the most important factor...

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008

Thanks in advance.
Green Flag covers all of that. We paid the ferry a d they reimbursed us. They paid everything in the repatriation too.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back