LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Having just completed 4 weeks touring round Germany, some thoughts on costs and comparability to UK.

Stellplatz ranged from €5 up to €18 with average €12. All walkable to towns/cities. Cheaper than CL/CS at home but lots are really just car parks.

Electric was being charged at 80c per kwatt.Most that we talked to were spending between 4/6 € per day, don’t know what they were running This was in lovely weather, dread to think in cold weather.

Water still at €1 per 100 litres.

Diesel was about €1.65, so about £1.50 ish a litre.

Eating out comparable to pub prices at home we found, especially if avoiding cheap schnitzel places, wine was between €6/8 for a medium glass.

Supermarket shopping seemed much as at home for bread, milk etc.

So all in all cost of living was much as Uk, inflation seems to have been as bad there, saving grace is the stellplatz network though we found prices much higher than our last visit.

Roll on Spain in September!!!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Having just completed 4 weeks touring round Germany, some thoughts on costs and comparability to UK.

Stellplatz ranged from €5 up to €18 with average €12. All walkable to towns/cities. Cheaper than CL/CS at home but lots are really just car parks.

Electric was being charged at 80c per kwatt.Most that we talked to were spending between 4/6 € per day, don’t know what they were running This was in lovely weather, dread to think in cold weather.

Eating out comparable to pub prices at home we found, especially if avoiding cheap schnitzel places, wine was between €6/8 for a medium glass.

So all in all cost of living was much as Uk, inflation seems to have been as bad there, saving grace is the stellplatz network though we found prices much higher than our last visit.

We are in Germany now and can agree with your assessment of costs. Normally we don't use an EHU but do note the costs, it would be great if we could buy by the kWh in th UK.
Also being able to use the services at cost without paying for a night stop if needed makes touring much simpler.
We are not normally Lidl shoppers in the UK but find them most convenient and we'll stocked / priced over here.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
An interesting post, I have just come back from the Netherlands 3 weeks and a week in Germany. The coin meter EHU was only 50c / kwhr, and I did not use more than 4 euro in 4 day stays and my cooking is all electric. Wonder what people are doing to run up 4+ euro per day? I think the supermarkets are all more expensive than the UK and I don’t eat high end food. Campsites are lower cost than the UK and I don’t bother with glorified car parks but there again I am not interested in Cities.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We are in Germany now and can agree with your assessment of costs. Normally we don't use an EHU but do note the costs, it would be great if we could buy by the kWh in th UK.
It is worth noting much as I'm not liking CAMC much they are listening, they offer £4 a night off pitches for no EHU at a fair few of their sites we've been to recently (Kessingland and Grafhan water at least -> only 2 we've been to this year). So it's £4 for unmetered EHU in the price you pay on the website.

That IS making sites cost less, but it's still not comparible with the sub £20 a night we can get on actual CACC sites with no EHU on grass, or Stelplatz or Aires in EU.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
we don’t use aires / Stelpatz so would be interested in how the campsites fair price wise and facilities too.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We were checking where to stay between and around Garmisch to Fussen and anywhere within 20 miles of there along the alpinestraße

Scary, very scary, to us prices, we maybe would have stopped if it was less than 25 euros a night.
Got in at Kempten for 5 euros.

FLTs will have to do some serious research around this part of Germany

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

More importantly how much was the supermarket beer and wine 😉

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
we don’t use aires / Stelpatz so would be interested in how the campsites fair price wise and facilities too.
Only stayed on one campsite, Camping Alkmaar in the Netherlands, over 100 dedicated Motorhome spaces, all hard standing, beautiful landscaping and facilities, €38 per night including tourist tax and electric.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have just spent 3 weeks travelling from Broadstairs to the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. We have stopped at CL’s and 1 CAMC camp site. The CL’s have been brilliant in beautiful locations….all with elec hook up. Cheapest £15, dearest £25.

Why do I need to go to Germany…:unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We spent 5 weeks in Germany last October, was surprised at how much food shopping had gone up, years ago we would come out of the supermarket and go "wow" a huge trolley of food for so little. Now it's dearer than France, that was a shock.

Eating out was still reasonable but the foods a bit grim.

Still quite a few free Stellplatz and I like the way most of them do the water where you can have 10/20/50 cents at a time so easy to brim your tank.
Never use EHU so never looked at the cost.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IMHO You're missing out not using stellplatze, we like nothing better than a nice riverside SP usually great cycling and spend the day after watching the boats. There are also some fab aires - also some crap ones but plenty of info out there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We have just spent 3 weeks travelling from Broadstairs to the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. We have stopped at CL’s and 1 CAMC camp site. The CL’s have been brilliant in beautiful locations….all with elec hook up. Cheapest £15, dearest £25.

Why do I need to go to Germany…:unsure:
More choice, generally better locations, bigger choice of alternatives if the weather goes awry, better cyclepaths, better museums and pretty good chips :LOL:

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Lots of ACSI campsites in Germany so if you use them a lot very worthwhile getting the app/card.
yep have got the ACSI card and app and used it a fair bit in France. Very handy and will use it in Germany in September / October.
(y) (y)

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
IMHO You're missing out not using stellplatze, we like nothing better than a nice riverside SP usually great cycling and spend the day after watching the boats. There are also some fab aires - also some crap ones but plenty of info out there.
well may use ones with toilets and a bit of decent space between vans. The car park type where others can park almost touching your van, we wouldn't.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
yep have got the ACSI card and app and used it a fair bit in France. Very handy and will use it in Germany in September / October.
(y) (y)
Be cautious,
I tried to use my Acsi card at a site in Germany displaying the logo and asked what the discount was.
His reply was the they were'nt part of the discount scheme, they were only INSPECTED by Acsi !

Graydo

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We found Bavaria hugely expensive too, some campsites 70 Euros a night!

Graydo
Around the honeytrap areas of Fussen during May/June for prime lake side pitches it's a three figure sum per night!

And they can charge it, as despite their being dozens of campsites in the area, they are all turning people away at the gates.
Even in the the town which has three Stellplatz, side by side, each one well over 100 places, and each with a queue.

Darloman

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just got back from 7 weeks in Germany. We were mostly in northern Germany and we used a few stellplatz which were about €25 per night with metered electric on top. Mostly used campsites. Cheapest site was €25 per night with electric, showers etc but nowt flash. Most expensive site was €59 which we thought excessive but what a fantastic campsite. Like camping in manicured gardens with superb facilities but a bit too pricey for us - it increased to €71 per night on the day we left! Campsite costs were the biggest portion of expense on this trip. The average cost we paid per night for sites and stellplatz across the 7 weeks was €32 so not far off CMC and CAMC prices.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We found the same last October. The best thing is the stellplatz network. We calculated it cost more to put our cat in the cattery run by a local charity than the cost of our site fees. It’s a fantastic system with sites often located in stunning places.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
well may use ones with toilets and a bit of decent space between vans. The car park type where others can park almost touching your van, we wouldn't.
In contrast I love going to places which give me an excuse not to have to use them, I much prefer our facilities :giggle:

I would say most of the riverside SP's tend to have a decent amount of room around them, I can't think of one that is door to door but they probably do exist.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back