Cooling fridge - which is cheaper Electric or LPG (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
So, I need to cool the fridge on my drive prior to a trip.

LPG @99p per litre Fridge consumption 468g in 24 hours
Mains electric @ £0.225 per kwh power consumption - 240W

I could probably work it out but I'm not totally confident in my maths and electric understanding.

Appreciate some other input.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Either way, the cost of cooling the fridge will be miniscule when compared with the cost of the trip.

Just go for the most convenient. (or the best, if your fridge works better on one rather than the other)

Upvote 0
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Personally I think the cost is irrelevant. The way I see it, your gas supply is a limited quantity on the van which you need to preserve for when you are away from other sources of power.
The mains electricity has unlimited supply on hookup and doesn't deplete your on board reserves.
I like to leave home with everything topped up to give me the longest time before I need any supplies.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So, I need to cool the fridge on my drive prior to a trip.

LPG @99p per litre Fridge consumption 468g in 24 hours
Mains electric @ £0.225 power - 240W

I could probably work it out but I'm not totally confident in my maths and electric understanding.

Appreciate some other input.
You need the electric power use over 24 hours to work it out as the element is controlled by a thermostat so not constantly on.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Personally I think the cost is irrelevant. The way I see it, your gas supply is a limited quantity on the van which you need to preserve for when you are away from other sources of power.
The mains electricity has unlimited supply on hookup and doesn't deplete your on board reserves.
I like to leave home with everything topped up to give me the longest time before I need any supplies.
I agree. Refilling with gas is a faff. I use mains when I'm pre-chilling the fridge before a trip.

Even with those numbers, I don't think you've got all the info you need. On electric, it won't be using 240w continuously. Once it's cooled down, it'll toggle on and off as required.

If you assume electric is on all the time, it'd be £1.30 for a day on electric and £0.91 for gas. So worst case, there's not a massive difference. In reality, I suspect electric is cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Either way, the cost of cooling the fridge will be miniscule when compared with the cost of the trip.

Just go for the most convenient. (or the best, if your fridge works better on one rather than the other)

I was brought up to believe every penny counts. It's ruled my life ever since and to be fair has done me well.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was brought up to believe every penny counts. It's ruled my life ever since and to be fair has done me well.
My time is valuable. I could achieve more if I had more. I'm normally constrained by time more then I am by a couple of quid.

Upvote 0

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
I must be a total tight wad…….
Just before I start the van…. I fill it he fridge with frozen food and everything else ice cold….. Free power from battery all the way to our destination 👍😂

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The difference is only going to be a matter of pence. How much additional fuel will you use diverting to top up with LPG at some future juncture? If you plug in at home, at least the engine battery will be charged up as well and won't cause issues for your airbag ECU.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think you will find your fridge runs more efficiently on mains electricity.

It is not just a case the calorific value of each power source,
and the cost per calorie used,
and the time taken to reach optimal temperature,
and of course the ambient temperature.

The simple way to work it out is;
If gas was even marginally more efficient than electricity to run a fridge, then the big commercial refrigeration companies would be running on mains gas which is easily available.
The clue is they run their fridges on electricity.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you will find your fridge runs more efficiently on mains electricity.
They are far more efficient on gas.
If gas was even marginally more efficient than electricity to run a fridge, then the big commercial refrigeration companies would be running on mains gas which is easily available.
Totally ilrelavant they are compressor fridges

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
How many pennies to drive to the LPG pump and refill earlier than originally intended ?
(Remember to include tyre wear, fuel, Adblu, wastage at the pump, shoe leather walking between front door and van, etc.)

You have to factor in all the costs !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The simple way to work it out is;

Commercial fridges will be compressor fridges, My fridge is an absorption fridge (I didn't state this but assumed people would realise this as it runs on gas as well as electric). My understanding is absorption fridges are quite inefficient and many people often state they work better on gas. Personally i'd say mine works equally well on all sources of energy.

edit: Lenny beat me to it.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I fill my freezer with pre frozen ready meals either home cooked or bought. It certainly will help to reduce the cooling costs whichever source you use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
How many pennies to drive to the LPG pump and refill earlier than originally intended ?
(Remember to include tyre wear, fuel, Adblu, wastage at the pump, shoe leather walking between front door and van, etc.)

You have to factor in all the costs !

always fill up on route to my destination

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You need a compressor fridge next time you buy one then. Mine runs on sunshine power, it's a bit cloudy today here but there's still enough solar to run the fridge AND recharge the battery 😊

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
You need a compressor fridge next time you buy one then. Mine runs on sunshine power, it's a bit cloudy today here but there's still enough solar to run the fridge AND recharge the battery 😊
Best move we did when our dometic 8505 chucked its toys out the pram in may. Cut my gas use on weekends away when not on leccy, even with my piddly old school lead acids I still get ice cubes fir g&t and ice lollies are still frozen even in the high 20's to 30 deg we have had.

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Still awaiting the purchase of our Moho but with our old caravan we used to freeze 3/4 of an empty plastic coke / tonic bottle the day before our journey and then wedge it in the fridge/ freezer when we set off. Kept everything nice and cool.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We always put our fridge on electric at home before we travel. Its convenient and saves on gas which is more of a fafff to fill up than connecting the ehu.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You need the electric power use over 24 hours to work it out as the element is controlled by a thermostat so not constantly on.
If it helps OP on our fridge in summer, I clocked the fridge at using 3kwh over 24 hours to cool. That was at 24 celcius outside average. I suspect it'd use rather more (around 1 kwh every 3 hours) if it was warmer as that was the peak usage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back