Consort motorhomes "Lifes too short" (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We looked at Vantage when Scott was the owner and also at the new Consirt vans but each time we’ve gone for the IH equivalent. You get more storage space. The top cupboards are all that little bit bigger and the under bed storage isn’t blocked off by odd things, it’s more useable. So critical in a PVC when space can be limited.

We’re on our way back from a 2 month tour and still don’t mind making up the big double bed.

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
For that sort of money they could buy a proper motorhome with much more living space and made up bed, and no whoosh bang door. :eek:

The thought of making up a bed every night would turn me away from a Whoosh Bang. For that sort of money they could buy a coach built motorhome with much more living space and made up bed.
I understand that you don't think a Van based conversion is a "proper" motorhome, and that for you a made up bed is the priority - although they are also available in van conversions.
But for other people, us included, we value the many benefits of a Van based conversion over a Coachbuilt or A-Class, and to your point we are not buying the PVC because we can't afford the other options, it is because we genuinely prefer it and think it is a better vehicle for our needs.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
As ever this thread proves that we are all different and one size does not fit all. We use our vehicles differently, and have different needs and desires for what works.

For me a whooshbang is ideal. 5.4m fits on my small drive. Also means I can use it as a daily vehicle as there is usually space in carparks (without height restriction) that can overhang a small verge or kerb, but even 6m would get more difficult. But it means an internal compromise that the rear bed has to be made up by pulling the seats together and arranging cushions. Storage is in fact the greater issue than making up beds. Personally, I don't think I'd want the raised bed with garage underneath at the rear. On the few occasions I have been stuck in the van for prolonged period I prefer to put the bed away and be able to sit in the lounge area, but often once I've arrived somewhere for a couple of days the junk comes out of the rear bench seats and is stashed in the front, then bed made up and I sprawl on that. You need a longer van than 5.4m for the front dining type seats to happily exist along with rear bed space.

The Consort would work better than my current V-Line as it makes better use of the interior available. Both front seats can be properly turned (my drivers seat gets stuck on the bulkhead wardrobe behind), the kitchen is a better space especially with the added liftable flap shelf by the lounge end, and it looks like even the bathroom area is a tad neater. Consort didn't exist when I ordered my van, and the likes of Vantage and IH were just that bit too pricey. Consort would be top of my list now.

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Must watch this!
We saw a Consort parked opposite us in a campsite in Devon and it was a really lovely looking van. Chatting to the owners and they were really pleased with it. I like the rear lounge I think its probably more comfortable than ours and it looked like a lot of thought and care went in to layout. They had the same big fridge we have and our love ours! I think you get more care and thought when you buy from private companies, we have been surprised how many snags we have had with our Adria. Hubby was worried about storage as we currently have a big Garage (and a big bed!) but it looks like that was not too much of an issue with the longer length Consorts. We really struggled with the decision between PVC and coachbuilt and have found the size of our Motorhome compromising on our first few trips in Uk, but it was no issue at all on our recent 6 week trip to France and in fact we were surprised how many A-class there were travelling around over there, considerably bigger than ours!
I am still torn between the sizes...we travel with a large dog so based a lot of decisions on size for that too and the fact we wanted to go longer trips at a time and in all weathers (so garage handy for wet coats and boots to dry!) but am really tempted by this make if we decide to change to PVC, but wow the prices have gone up..hope it means ours hasn't devalued too much to! Great to hear you are all happy with your Consorts though and the storage you get in the rear, will definitely stay on our possible list!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I understand that you don't think a Van based conversion is a "proper" motorhome, and that for you a made up bed is the priority - although they are also available in van conversions.
But for other people, us included, we value the many benefits of a Van based conversion over a Coachbuilt or A-Class, and to your point we are not buying the PVC because we can't afford the other options, it is because we genuinely prefer it and think it is a better vehicle for our needs.
Very true and infact many PVCs cost more than the equivalent Coachbuilt or A-class

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I really liked the fridge being raised in the Consort I was looking at. It was also at the front away from the sleeping area so any noise wouldn’t be a problem.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Consort appear to be a quality product but you would think that they could offer a few different layouts.
I had a look at their website and all the models appear to have very similar layouts.
I was struggling to spot the difference between a few of them.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Consort appear to be a quality product but you would think that they could offer a few different layouts.
I had a look at their website and all the models appear to have very similar layouts.
I was struggling to spot the difference between a few of them.
I agree, same as when they owned Vantage, all virtually same layouts regardless of van, just different names for each van and a little different in length.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Those guys produce a great product, know their market better than most and are successful at what they do. The U shaped lounge has always been a popular UK choice and it's clearly been good for them and they know how to make it.

With all due respect to my first sentence, I feel they are missing a trick and should offer a rear fixed bed and maybe even a drop down to their lineup. At least then they'd have a chance of having me as a customer, and who wouldn't want that. :D

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Those guys produce a great product, know their market better than most and are successful at what they do. The U shaped lounge has always been a popular UK choice and it's clearly been good for them and they know how to make it.

With all due respect to my first sentence, I feel they are missing a trick and should offer a rear fixed bed and maybe even a drop down to their lineup. At least then they'd have a chance of having me as a customer, and who wouldn't want that. :D
Indeed, who wouldn't want you as a customer Jim.

What's interesting is that when we looked at many of the European manufacturers, we thought the very same thing - all the layouts are more or less the same. They all have a front dinette and a bed at the back - either transverse double or 2 singles that convert - so once we had concluded that a rear lounge worked best for us, we immediately removed most, if not all of the European manufacturers from our list.

Maybe that's just the way it is 🤷‍♂️

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I was in the market 3 years ago for a new 5.40 metre van with 2 x long single beds, Consort (Vibe) and Vantage (Cub) both have that layout but I discounted both as there was no internal access through to the cab, great quality vans though.

In the end we went for an East Neuk Fifer M, a long way to go but had almost exactly the layout and spec we wanted.

Pete

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012

Agree and also with your suggestions. As a relatively small manufacturer perhaps it's down to keeping it simple and being efficient. Shops, manufacturers, etc could all learn far more from those that do not become customers than from those that do.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I might be biased now but having looked at all the pvc’s we think the Vantage Neo is the best of the lot particularly if going out for extended periods.
We’ve spent 269 nights in our Neo so far the past 12 months and we’re out in Spain till the end of Feb 24 and we love it and that’s coming from a 8.5 mtr tag axle Hobby.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
We’ve spent 269 nights in our Neo so far the past 12 months and we’re out in Spain till the end of Feb 24 and we love it and that’s coming from a 8.5 mtr tag axle Hobby.
WOW Respect! We find the big differences are the pantry & the worktop between the sink & cooker which make it more liveable. The best thing about Vantage as a business is Julie who didn’t go to Consort & is their most valuable asset.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Everyone's different and has different needs and preferences. I've been actively looking at PVC's as a "post-kids" purchase (about 5 years away yet! I'm thinking used vans at the time...). Personally I've not seen one yet with a fixed bed that doesn't feel cramped in the front, and whilst front lounges give a great layout they just make the beds too small and narrow for great lanky hefty lumps like me! So a rear lounge is a definite contender. The Consort Oslo XL looks good to me, though as ever I'd have to check headroom, so often a problem on H2 Ducatos. I like the IH vans but they are so pricey - the Consort ones perhaps aren't so posh looking inside but if they are just as well screwed together and cheaper then I'm perfectly happy with that. I presume you can buy them in something other than white!

I am surprised though that they don't offer a fixed bed layout - so many folks say that it's a must-have for them.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our IH630RD from new so had a modification in the kitchen. We don’t have the big sink with drainer. We just have a small sink . That gives a handy bit of work too in the middle for a few bits or chopping etc. We can then put the side flap up for a draining board with a tray. Much more of a user friendly kitchen. They are more expensive I agree but I suppose it’s good to have options like in all things.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
I don’t think you can
Although most are White, I have seen other colours going through their production.
I also said that would never want a white van, and here we are, I have a White Consort🤣 but I have to say, having previously had two V-line pvc’s in silver (grey!), it has grown on me. And have to say that Fiat have certainly improved the quality of their paint work👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Consort didn't exist when I ordered my van, and the likes of Vantage and IH were just that bit too pricey.
I might be wrong but didn’t Vantage spring out of an ex IH employee and then as said above, Vantage sold and the chap set up Consort. ?

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Reading this after the thread regarding the DVLA and ‘vans with windows’.
What happens when you buy a PVC from Consort that is based on a new panel van.
Is it a motor caravan or the dreaded van with windows?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Reading this after the thread regarding the DVLA and ‘vans with windows’.
What happens when you buy a PVC from Consort that is based on a new panel van.
Is it a motor caravan or the dreaded van with windows?
It should be a Motorcaravan as it has enough windows like the Vantage and IH PVCs which the DVLA class as Motorcaravans on the V5. I know someone with a Consort and they haven’t complained about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back