Considering a Used Refrigerated Van

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hi guys. I’m new here.
I’ve come across a refrigerated van for sale. Are they worth considering? It has 330 000km which scares me a little. It’s a 2012 Sprinter LWB. What I read most is that rust is a concern.

I already have a 2005 Fiat ducato MWB with 220 000km on it which I was planning on converting.

The extra space is appealing in the sprinter but I’m concerned if it will be a much harder job with rust and removing the lining in the back.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could share 🙏

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Beware of any welding that needs doing if they have spray foamed the floor. It’s impossible to do apparently and will result in a minor welding repair writing the van off.

Any van that age and mileage will be a gamble once you have spent the time and money converting. I would get the Sprinter with the caveat above and just be prepared to have to spend on maintaining it. This includes new engine etc where needed.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
:welcome4:
I had my eye as an avatar once on a forum.. I kept having to crop the size of my head because the photo was too many megabytes until it was just my eyeball 😂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
w2f

I'd probably be a bit wary of purchasing something with that mileage on and then spending all the money to convert it, especially given the points that have been made about rust.

I also don't know if it's a general problem, but I seem to see many more not-so-old Sprinters that are rust buckets than say Transits or Ducatos.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:HelloThere: And :WelcomeFlag:

I’m a girl - so have no idea how to help, but Cliff’s had a couple of Sprinter work vans, and I had two Merc cars, all of them disintegrated around the engines and gearboxes that never gave any trouble!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back