Connection to charge controller (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Rusty68

Free Member
Jul 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rusty68
Hi there

I have a portable solar panel with the cable connectors as in the attached photo. How would I connect this to a victron charge controller?

IMG_20240722_152012.jpg

Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
You either cut the ends off and stuff the wires into the charge controller or you run a wire out of the controller and attach a plug that matches what you've shown in your photo, then you can plug and unplug as needed

In my case I bought 2 pairs of mc4 connectors and added them to the solar panel cable and the cable going into the victron

Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
You either cut the ends off and stuff the wires into the charge controller or you run a wire out of the controller and attach a plug that matches what you've shown in your photo, then you can plug and unplug as needed

In my case I bought 2 pairs of mc4 connectors and added them to the solar panel cable and the cable going into the victron
I am in the same situation as want to dump the Dokio controller that came with the panel, but I'm interested as to why you said 2 pairs of MC4 connectors. Why would 4 be needed please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I am in the same situation as want to dump the Dokio controller that came with the panel, but I'm interested as to why you said 2 pairs of MC4 connectors. Why would 4 be needed please?
Male and female x2 for the 2 wires so they can be disconnected.pteferably though I would use the Xt60 type connectors as they are easier to disconnect than mc4 types.

Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
I've just been reading the Victron controller manual and the section about the wiring has worried me a little as it seems very OTT. Not sure if the 12AWG lead on the XT60 ebay connector will tick the box? I was about to buy a Victron controller but pretty sure the cable from my Dokio panel will not be correct so may need changing. Not sure how simple that is?

Victron MPPT Wire Requirements.png

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
How large , wattage , is the dokio portable panel? This will determine your best wire size.
( the notes quoted in your victron manual are just examples of various wires and sizes)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back