Confused carbon monoxide alarm (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, I am confused!! I understood that being on ehu with no gas that there can be no carbon monoxide discharge from fridge, etc.

We are on a farm CL in Suffolk with ehu, 22plate 79-4t.

Last night, however in middle of the night carbon monoxide alarm woke us up. Opened ceiling vent and alarm off we went back to sleep, only to be woken up again an hour later by the alarm again. Twice this happened.

What is going on? What is the likely problem? and how can we solve this?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Does your CO detector have a display, they trigger at very low levels , but the reading could help identify source and level of reaction required

But agree with you that nothing should be creating CO other than batteries as mentioned

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a knackered battery or it's being overcharged. It will be giving off hydrogen sulphide, poisonous & high risk of explosion.

Battery will probably be warm, disconnect the battery & remove from van ASAP.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Also check you have no gas turned on with heating options, our Alde will run off gas and electric at same time

Also any dip in power fridge may swap to gas

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds like a knackered battery or it's being overcharged. It will be giving off hydrogen sulphide, poisonous & high risk of explosion.

Battery will probably be warm, disconnect the battery & remove from van ASAP.
Exactly what we had, didn't even know there was anything wrong with the battery but on inspection one was red hot.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Try replacing the batteries in the alarm.

I assume no-one nearby was running their engine. Exhaust fumes will set it off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayD
Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Check your batteries, habitation & engine.
I understood that the Banner leisure battery is a sealed unit! I would expect in the current temperatures in UK, that there’s every likelihood that the leisure battery would be warm.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I understood that the Banner leisure battery is a sealed unit! I would expect in the current temperatures in UK, that there’s every likelihood that the leisure battery would be warm.
I think you would be able to tell the difference between a battery at ambient temperature and one which is being over charged, it will be hot, not warm.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If the alarm has non-replaceable batteries and it's almost 2.5years old, it may simply be time to buy another alarm. To be honest, they are that cheap, it's worth doing that anyway. If the new one then alarms, you can be much more confident there is generally an issue and I regret it's then time to get a gas expert involved.

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Smoke detection & carbon monoxide £20 Amazon, with stick on pad...

Cheers🍻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RayD
Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Update….
As we have 2 leisure batteries I have checked original supplied with moho. Extremely hot! Disconnected that battery.

Will purchase a new CO alarm.

So confusing, having been advised when purchasing the van from new, that it was a sealed battery that would not require maintenance!!

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

The term sealed for life is a bit misleading as they do have a 'pressure relief valve'

IMG_4808.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
So confusing, having been advised when purchasing the van from new, that it was a sealed battery that would not require maintenance!!
Whilst those batteries are maintenance free in normal use they have no protection against overcharging or being discharged beyond saving. You need to test the charging system to ensure the charging system is working correctly and not overcharging or the new battery you fit to replace the damaged one may also fail.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Update….
As we have 2 leisure batteries I have checked original supplied with moho. Extremely hot! Disconnected that battery.

Will purchase a new CO alarm.

It doesn't need any "maintenance " but can vent gasses in certain circumstances such as if its being overcharged.
I would completely remove the battery from the van for safety.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Unfortunately, not in the one supplied by Bailey.
"Supplied by Bailey" sums it up nicely. Get a proper one (combined smoke and CO - Kidde are well thought of)), instal as per instructions and see if it is still indicating CO build up before ripping out the hab battery. You never know . . . .

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
"Supplied by Bailey" sums it up nicely. Get a proper one (combined smoke and CO - Kidde are well thought of)), instal as per instructions and see if it is still indicating CO build up before ripping out the hab battery. You never know . . . .

From the OP, "Update….As we have 2 leisure batteries I have checked original supplied with moho. Extremely hot! Disconnected that battery."

I doubt that I would be giving a second chance to a hab battery that's getting extremely hot without checking why first. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
My sisters 2012 Elddis Autoquest came with an onboard charger that just gives a constant 13.8v.
To low to ever charge the battery fully so unable to de-sulfate and slightly to high for float so no good for long term battery life.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
From the OP, "Update….As we have 2 leisure batteries I have checked original supplied with moho. Extremely hot! Disconnected that battery."

I doubt that I would be giving a second chance to a hab battery that's getting extremely hot without checking why first. :rolleyes:
Missed that one. Quite right. Whilst the battery clearly needs sorting, not sure that it is CO that it is giving off - interesting arcticle here: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gea...-may-indicate-a-battery-charging-issue-79661; and thread here: https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...o-or-can-a-co-sensor-detect-gasses-other-than

Quite a cocktail of unfriendly gases possible from an overheating battery and some of them odourless, so just as well the average CO detector picks 'em up even if it isn't CO it's reacting to.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Missed that one. Quite right. Whilst the battery clearly needs sorting, not sure that it is CO that it is giving off - interesting arcticle here: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gea...-may-indicate-a-battery-charging-issue-79661; and thread here: https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...o-or-can-a-co-sensor-detect-gasses-other-than

Quite a cocktail of unfriendly gases possible from an overheating battery and some of them odourless, so just as well the average CO detector picks 'em up even if it isn't CO it's reacting to.
There are several different methods of testing for CO inside a monitor, one type relies on a gel changing colour in the presence of CO, a light sensor picks up the color change and that triggers the alarm, it's quite possible that other gases would also cause the gel to change colour and also trigger the alarm.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back