Condensation

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I suck it up with my window vac in the morning. I would rather get it out of the vehicle than have it forming somewhere inaccessible. The water doesn’t go away because you have a silver screen, it goes somewhere else or hangs on in the air raising the humidity level.
Don't the Silver screens work a "prevention" rather than a "cure" basis 🤷‍♂️

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes but that makes them part of the cure 😁All you can do is try to prevent, you will never stop condensation. It happens on all cold surfaces naturally.

CJK

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
Hello to all...
Can anyone help with condensation...we got 3 fur babies in front of cab last night..left window open slightly...didn't have any heat going...so consequently the other half moaned about how
cold it was this morning...in FREEDOM..also some stuff felt a bit damp...obviously I must be doing something wrong...as look at other mhs around site and they don't look like they have condensation on windows much...should I leave a heater just ticking over through the night..have a little one that turns off when you reach yr desired temp..then comes on again automatically when it drops..sorry for long winded message....
Whoah! Glad you asked this! I’m just worrying about expected condensation and deciding how best to cover our windscreen -now I know, thanks to you experts out there!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Silver screens may stop condensation from forming on the windscreen but they do not prevent it from forming elsewhere or remove the moisture from the air. Doubtless they improve the insulation and that may make it easier to ventilate the space without getting cold. All I am trying to say is that stopping it forming in one place could drive it elsewhere and we need to think about how to get that moisture outside our motorhomes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I started my van this morning, turned heater to half way between hot & cold. air con on. Came back two minutes later to completely covered in condensation the windsceen & side windows. Van empty & parked overnight as normal. Always does it .?
Set the air con on internal circulation
speeds up collecting the internal moisture

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
we need to think about how to get that moisture outside our motorhomes.
Cab aircon works best for me - as you can have lots of heat as well.

But I find you need to follow it with many of miles of fresh air intake to drive out all the moist air.
Still wth heat and aircon.

Best done when you are driving somewhere anyway. Nice dry van when you arrive.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I must be doing something wrong...as look at other mhs around site and they don't look like they have condensation on windows much
Some of the newer continental motorhomes have Truma heater vents in between the windscreen and the roman blinds.
And the same at the side.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
You said, "look at other mhs around site and they don't look like they have condensation on windows much". We had the same problem in the middle of Summer and it turned out there was a water leak in the roof that caused wet walls and a massive increase in air humidity.
As others have said, fit a silver screen to the outside of the windscreen AND I also recommend closing the internal windscreen and cab door window blinds. This adds a small extra layer of insulation.

If you are on Electric Hook Up, you could have the heating on and open the roof vents a little, and perhaps the habitation windows just a little, for two reasons. 1) If the air outside is not too damp (misty/rainy) you will vent out the damp air caused by breathing and cooking and 2) you will improve the quality of the air you breathe.

OP
OP
W
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
CI Auto Roller
Air con???? Freedom doesn't have that much suffistication...think you mean open windows😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But that is often difficult if you come in wet on a rainy day. In such conditions plenty of heat and ventilation will then dry things out.
I can't even recall getting in the van wet? I get the problem also when there is a sudden cloudburst on a summers day & I am travelling along
The only way to stop/ control it is heat, ventilation and stop the cold windows
When it occurs whilst travelling it is nigh on impossible to clear.even with windows down on both sides two people cannot keep up with keeping screen clear
The best place for condensation to form is on a windscreen where it will do no harm and is easily sucked up with a window vac.
It does when you are travelling at 60mph & it goes from no problem to windscreen & both side windows running with water in 20 seconds
If you read my post the air con is on as is recirculate ,both permanently.
In all honesty &,even the wife agree's ,we have never had any vehicle like this where it goes from perfectly ok to unclearable water running down all cab windows in seconds.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
We had the same problem in the middle of Summer and it turned out there was a water leak in the roof that caused wet walls and a massive increase in air humidity.
In all honesty &,even the wife agree's ,we have never had any vehicle like this where it goes from perfectly ok to unclearable water running down all cab windows in seconds.
Are you two related?

We had that on a CI Carioca many, many years ago. It cost a few thousand to get it fixed..
But, it was dry afterwards and we learned a lot.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We had that on a CI Carioca many, many years ago. It cost a few thousand to get it fixed..
But, it was dry afterwards and we learned a lot.
It is a pvc
I have had cars that caused condensation to build up on the windscreen if you forgot to switch the recirculation off. Cleared as soon as you switched it back to normal external air intake
I will try that. as I said in an earlier post as the air con is usually on for the warm temperatures i have always had it on recirculate.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
If what treblid says doesn't work are you sure the aircon doesn't need re-gassing?

And are you sure there's no water where it shouldn't be causing general moisture to be too high?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back