Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Most of our motorhoming is done off-grid, only occasionally having EHU. Our present van has 200w of solar, 200Ah leisure batteries and Gaslow LPG which, together, serve our off-grid energy needs most of the year. The three-way fridge generally runs on gas.

We have now looked at a new motorhome that has ideal layout and facilities. However, it has a large compressor fridge/freezer so no gas option. As standard it has one 70Ah lithium battery and a 150w solar panel. I'm concerned that that setup will not allow us to camp off-grid for as long as we do now.

What are the thoughts and experiences of members who use compressor fridges off-grid?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
They use very little compared to 3 way, what's the model of the fridge...will the dealer let you swap the batteries anyway ? Then later you can add another panel ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
offagen
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Tombola and WESTY66 thanks for your replies. I didn't make a note of the make of fridge and can't find that info online. I had a peek in the under-seat battery compartment and it all looked pretty cramped. It could possibly accommodate a second 70Ah battery or possibly a single higher Ah lithium of equivalent size to a pair but it would be very tight. Maybe locate a battery elsewhere? FWIW I also noted that there was no space for an inverter.

It looked to me that the manufacturer wasn't considering off-grid camping but maybe I'm being unnecessarily concerned?

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Our compressor fridge uses between 3.5A and 4A. The ambient temperature will affect the on/off duty cycle and amount of overall power consumed.

Our 230Ah lithium will typically run the fridge and a Battery Master for 10 days stationary off grid. I have yet to install a solar panel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is usually a way to do it.

I wouldn’t be put off, from what I have heard they use about 20ah a day so I would want a bit more than you have to be safe. It really does depend on how much solar you get.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We have a large compressor fridge in our van, prior to fitting lithium, could only manage a couple of days off grid. We now have 200Ah of Lithium and 120w solar. Just been to Wales for a couple of weeks, not known for it's sunshine hours (granted, we moved every couple of days) and battery levels never below 80%. We don't have an inverter so all appliances are 12v

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
We have a large compressor fridge in our van, prior to fitting lithium, could only manage a couple of days off grid. We now have 200Ah of Lithium and 120w solar. Just been to Wales for a couple of weeks, not known for it's sunshine hours (granted, we moved every couple of days) and battery levels never below 80%. We don't have an inverter so all appliances are 12v
Our 90ltr compressor fridge would run indefinitely from our 190 AGM / 280 solar, even in the winter...
I've got 280 LifePO4 now and I doubt if the fridge will even dent the battery capacity..

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Our 90ltr compressor fridge would run indefinitely from our 190 AGM / 280 solar, even in the winter...
I've got 280 LifePO4 now and I doubt if the fridge will even dent the battery capacity..
We have a Chinese copy of a well known 90 litre compressor fridge freezer, when I first fitted it I have concerns about batteries being able to cope. Tested it for a week in north east uk, fridge empty so not best for performance, even left on all the lights and alde pump to give them a work out. Never seen the batteries below 12.5v not much sun so solar wasn’t pushing much in.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've got an under counter compressor fridge, 150w solar and 80ah gel battery.

This weekend at Cadwell park, the weather has been a bit mixed with sunny spells, rain, cloud etc but the battery is well on it's way to being fully charged by 9am.
We don't have a TV though so apart from phone charging and water pump occasionally that's about the only job the battery has.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have a large compressor fridge freezer installed a couple of months ago…. We have 2x 100ah lithium but are replacing them with 600 ah being fitted on Thursday…
Reason= not the fridge, the wife loves the coffee machine and her hair dryer, plus the TV, microwave and air con ….. the things I do for a quiet life….
2 x100ah echo tree lithiums in the classified open to offers

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We have a large compressor fridge freezer installed a couple of months ago…. We have 2x 100ah lithium but are replacing them with 600 ah being fitted on Thursday…
Reason= not the fridge, the wife loves the coffee machine and her hair dryer, plus the TV, microwave and air con ….. the things I do for a quiet life….
2 x100ah echo tree lithiums in the classified open to offers
I will look at your add now as i may be interested if you still have them are you going to the norfolk show

OP
OP
offagen
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Many thanks to all of you for your very helpful replies. They have certainly helped me have a better idea of what I could expect and what might need to be upgraded if we went ahead with purchase.

I have managed to find the fridge/freezer details: It's a Thetford T2152. Capacity is 150 litres including the freezer compartment. Stated energy consumption is 0.51kWh/24h.

Our other demands on the leisure batteries are not great: LED lighting, water pump, toilet flush/extract. We rarely watch TV while away. We have an inverter that's used to charge electric bike batteries, the G-Tech vacuum battery and electric toothbrush batteries. Phones and pads are charged mostly overnight from 12v/USB.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We had 120 w solar, and 90ah ordinary battery. And compressor fridge - under counter size. 2 nights, one day , no van movement, rain pretty much all the time. battery got too low. No TV. No inverter.
Now have 230ah lithium - no problems at all. We have a fiat ducatto base and the battery is under the passenger seat. This is where the original was, and the new one. Absolutely no problem fitting it - Ecotree battery. We went for 230 not 100 because having it installed rather than self install the bigger battery didnt make a huge difference to the price.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We had 120 w solar, and 90ah ordinary battery. And compressor fridge - under counter size. 2 nights, one day , no van movement, rain pretty much all the time. battery got too low. No TV. No inverter.
Now have 230ah lithium - no problems at all. We have a fiat ducatto base and the battery is under the passenger seat. This is where the original was, and the new one. Absolutely no problem fitting it - Ecotree battery. We went for 230 not 100 because having it installed rather than self install the bigger battery didnt make a huge difference to the price.
But what extra chargers have you fitted to top the battery back up, presumming you are going off grid for longer than the two nights one day that flattened the lead acid, if it had 45ah.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The Coops TrudeandDall you do realise you have both mentioned the A*M word so Lennyhb will be along shortly with his feelings on them lol.
Came with the van, I did have lithium from my old van (another story almost brand new didn't fit the new van 4 mm to large...) so until the batteries die I will live with them!

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Sounds like you have been considering the same, or similar, as ours which has the same setup.
Bonus of the compressor fridge is no hookup needed to cool before going away, just turn on. Down side is that the “night” mode isn’t that quiet but maybe we are getting used to the noise now.
I just hope you won’t have the same problem with the magnetic latch on the bathroom door as we have - “fixed” 4 times including latch swap with another MH. Dealer admits it’s a bad design - most accurate words ever !

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Here's the voltage graph for Saturday so I was telling fibs when I said battery was about charged for 9am, looks more like midday when it dropped to 13.6v.

Voltage only got down to a minimum of 12.6v in the morning before sunrise. You can see the compressor fridge cutting in with the downward spikes:

Screenshot_20240707_194242_Battery Monitor.jpg

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
But what extra chargers have you fitted to top the battery back up, presumming you are going off grid for longer than the two nights one day that flattened the lead acid, if it had 45ah.
B2B was there already as was an appropriate charger. All we changed was the solar controller to a victron one which as I understand it gets more of the solar into the battery.
As far as possible we dont use a hook up. I think the longest we have done without moving the van is four nights. This is largely because we dont stop anywhere very long, although some of our journeys have been quite short. All our touring has been in the UK. We dont do winter touring.

OP
OP
offagen
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Sounds like you have been considering the same, or similar, as ours which has the same setup.
Bonus of the compressor fridge is no hookup needed to cool before going away, just turn on. Down side is that the “night” mode isn’t that quiet but maybe we are getting used to the noise now.
I just hope you won’t have the same problem with the magnetic latch on the bathroom door as we have - “fixed” 4 times including latch swap with another MH. Dealer admits it’s a bad design - most accurate words ever !
I'll PM you Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back