Completely Motorbikes

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It would appear that the Completely Motorbike Group have gone into liquidation, I hope none of us have paid deposits or lump sums for a bike that has not been delivered yet or have a bike in for service or mot.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
My dealer in Edinburgh went bust last month too, Saltire Motorcycles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
Unfortunately I think far more will go, the reality is that motorcycles now are really only an old/middle aged mans plaything. Youngsters are not buying to commute as we did, and quite often now they are not even taking their car tests.

I fear bikes and motorhomes requiring c1 licences to drive will go the same way, the market is shrinking with those qualified and able to ride/drive.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A motorbike is a luxury purchase for most middle-age people and a contact I have in the trade has said that business has dropped off badly in recent months. I wonder why? Nothing to do with being scared witless about how their savings are going to be raided of course.
It is a massive collapse.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Can't believe the prices of some high end bikes these days.

Very much expensive toys, (still got my R1150GS bought new in 2001).
The prices may well be the death of the traditional Jap 4, BMW etc....chinese brands are very nearly as good and come in 50% cheaper....Voge, CF Moto being two. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned...it feels like with the advent of PCP...few people buying bikes are actually looking at the price tag, simply at the 'monthlys'. At some point fairly soon...the bubble will burst (or it will dawn on blokes (it is mainly blokes) that chucking £250 a month (inclusive of service/insurance) at a toy that does 3k miles a year really is daft...£1 a mile !!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I was looking at a new Goldwing before deciding on my NT1100 DCT. The Wing was just over £32,000...really......the NT was Just over £13,000, does more or less the same job without the reverse.
And loving it.
Still got the BMW R12 at home with 212 miles on the clock. That will be sold at a big loss, hey ho.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I was in a local branch of Simply Motorcycles yesterday. None of the staff have been officially told they are being finished. No bikes can be sold as they don't have the keys. There was a new buyer for the business looking around the previous morning. Lets hope it does sell and continues as a bike business.🤞

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
My dealer in Edinburgh went bust last month too, Saltire Motorcycles.
Is/was that the shop next to the old Scottish & Newcastle brewery?
Sure I bought a Suzuki TS250ER from them many years ago.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Im not suprised ,, high prices , poor service and too much competition and crazy stock levels of unsellable models , there were 28 used CCM's in Gloucester store last week all over £8k for a very expensive niche model that over £100k tied up in bikes that dont sell easy ... Sales of big motorcycles are booming in Asia, India , ME, Africa ,, and holding up certain EU countries , but UK licensing rules and pricing are killing it here. Not to mention parts problems , and UK spares prices being double of EU prices . Recently needed a clutch cable for my Daughter 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ,, non in s tock anywhere in UK and £48 . Got one from kawasaki Holland in poat only 4 days and £22 ,, Also my Wife sent me 6 genuine clutch cables from a kawasaki dealer in Thailand total price in cluding postage was £52.. i have sold them all now for £30 3 went to a local Kawasaki dealer !!!!He had 3 customer bike waiting for the same part for 3 months !!!!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Is/was that the shop next to the old Scottish & Newcastle brewery?
Sure I bought a Suzuki TS250ER from them many years ago.
Don’t know about that as I’m not from Edinburgh, it’s next to Saughton prison.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Re >> SALTIRE MOTORCYCLES (Bankruptcy Auction) .....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If shops keep closing, the bike manufacturers will have to do something or they'll not be able to sell any.

In the old days many shops were just tied to 1 make.
That's the way it is here, to some extent.

On our island we have Honda and Kawasaki dealerships

On G.C. there's KTM and Ducati shops.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hardly surprising when any bike shop goes under. Have you seen the eye watering prices of bikes these days and none of them sell the RD350 LC YPVS, which had us queuing up to buy one. Now it’s a small mortgage and most bikes look like a regurgitated kebab after a skin full of larger on a Saturday night.

Think when they’re designing them and made in clay, someone sneaks in with a pair of those long wooden butter shaping boards and just whacks the dickens out of them. Truly ugly.

Think they gave the job as design director to Jack Douglas.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
I'm 30 and did my DAS this year. People doing them "with me" all older than me. I've wanted to do it for a few years but it's expensive to get into. For 17 year olds the insurance is the same as insuring a car for a 125. They're not as useable all year round as a car, so I can see why they make the choice to just get a car.
That being said, we've given out less parking permits for students this year than any year before (little over 300) and only 8 for mopeds (1700+ students).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Think when they’re designing them and made in clay, someone sneaks in with a pair of those long wooden butter shaping boards and just whacks the dickens out of them. Truly ugly.
There are plenty of retro bikes out there CCM, yamaha xsr, cb1000r, kawasaki z900rs, the 400 Triumph 🤔 And Probably lots more

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Mind you, this year in particular, the absolutely terrible weather we have had must be an influencing factor.

I have hardly been out on my bike. Talking to my son last week he is the same. The bikes have sat in the garage. He has now SORNed his for the winter.
If people aren’t using them much then they are also less likely to be changing them.

Plus, the bloody potholes are a menace 😡😡

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
People use bikes differently.. I try and (in fact I do) use my bike all year, in winter it's trips to the shops, friends, even work once or twice. And the occasional few hours out with Aneta (she's a bike nut but likes longer trips). In summer we go camping a couple of times.

My mate only goes out on his once a year but it's for a week long trip, I went with him once and hated it, sat on a motorway in the pouring rain all the way to Germany ☹️ never again

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I have never been camping on a bike. Just never appealed.
Of course toured. Ridden to Alicante and back a few of times but always stopped in hotels on the way.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
A motorbike is a luxury purchase for most middle-age people and a contact I have in the trade has said that business has dropped off badly in recent months. I wonder why? Nothing to do with being scared witless about how their savings are going to be raided of course.
It is a massive collapse.
Most peoples savings had withered on the vine during14 years of near zero % savings rates.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Of course toured. Ridden to Alicante and back a few of times but always stopped in hotels on the way.
We rode to Alicante in August.. Only from Benidorm though 😜
Screenshot_20241012_130624_Gallery.jpg

Special motorcycle parking at the castle 😎☝️

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Done camping on bike two up a few times and on the continent. It’s a great adventure Bob.

Spent a few years going to bike rallies, Stormin the Castle, Farmyard, Kelso etc all camping. Fantastic weekends.
Also MCN weekends at Skeggy. By that is in apartments in the Butlins resort. Unfortunately it stopped a few years ago.

Nowadays though, touring in the bike is using hotels, like yourself.

Next one will be ferry to Santander then ride a long and twisty route back to Amsterdam and get the ferry home to Newcastle. Might do that next year but the bairn reckons will have to be 2026 as he has too much on next year.

The think thing is that my bike is 5 years old but only has 9000 miles on it and I just can’t justify replacing at the moment. Not until I get bored with it, which I am not at present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back