Complete beginner. Advice please. Travelling around Europe for 3 months May, June, July 2025 with 2 toddlers ( 3 and 4).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As others have said, don’t worry about the planning of the route, the important bit is costings buy v hire and layout of MH given that you will need to be able to fit car seats for the children and then store them somewhere when not driving. Taking into consideration also that your licence restrictions will mean quite a small MH.
Go to a big dealership and sit around in as many as you can, picturing yourselves in driving mode, sitting around eating, what about a wet day with wetclothes and shoes, what about a very hot day, have you got shade and chairs for outside.
My gut feeling is that you should look around for a suitable secondhand MH, if lucky, one where the owners are stopping travelling and have all the extras and equipment for sale with it. A well appointed one with refillable gas bottles for that length of trip.
You will presumably need space to carry pushchairs and all the clobber that little ones need.

Once sorted with a suitable vehicle then just go….. using a weather app to determine where you go and the ACSI camping card to find good sites at a discount price. The ACSI app details opening times, when discounts apply and the facilities like pools.

In between sites use an app such as Search4Sites or Camper Contact to find cheaper overnight stops otherwise you could find yourselves stretching your budget.

France would be my choice for young children, just so many places with beaches and playgrounds set up whether on a campsite or just by a lake or river as well of course the coastal areas.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think my route would be
Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry
Dusseldorf and pick up van
or Holland and go to Texel for a couple of days getting the kids to ride bikes. (I'm sure Dutch 3 & 4 year olds ride bikes)
The I'd head west for northern France
Along the top of France
Down the Atlantic coast
zig zag along the Pyrenees, dipping in and out of northern Spain
Along the south coast of France, arriving and leaving before the heat and the holiday season
Across northern Italy and the lakes, maybe a day visit to Venice. (Not a place for small kids though)
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria
and then pootle back via the German rivers (best place in Europe for cycling) and the lakes once the summer heat and the holiday hordes all descend south

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Have you thought about a caravan?
Wash your mouth out with soap!

(actually, not a bad idea ........,
but it's a different sort of touring, more drive to a place, and stay for at least a few days, even a week at a time, which given the age range may be a better idea)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Wash your mouth out with soap!

(actually, not a bad idea ........,
but it's a different sort of touring, more drive to a place, and stay for at least a few days, even a week at a time, which given the age range may be a better idea)
Only reason why is due to the B license, the van they are looking at will need habitation air-conditioning or a BAF and they won't be able to have it long due to the kids growing and the weight

Unless the kids sleep in the van and they sleep in a tent or awning outside 🤔

(I know my van isn't a B license van)
1000057509.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Only reason why is due to the B license, the van they are looking at will need habitation air-conditioning or a BAF and they won't be able to have it long due to the kids growing and the weight

Unless the kids sleep in the van and they sleep in a tent or awning outside 🤔

(I know my van isn't a B license van) View attachment 971282
Yes, I think a caravan may be more suitable for this sort of family trip.
You would certainly get more 'bang for the buck' in terms of accomodation
It also gets around the weight problem.

A decent tow vehicle, something with a lot of space and engine power, a small van type of thing.
And a 6-7m caravan.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Amazing. Where did you do ?
We did North Shields to IJmuiden, across Holland, down Germany, over Austria, into Italy, across to Slovenia and down to Croatia and more than or less back again but went south as far as Assisi and West as far as Pisa. Did 5500miles and saw ACDC, Alice Cooper and ZZtop gigs on the way around.

Came back Hook of Holland to Harwich as much cheaper in peak season

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I would be in the purchase and sell on camp.
I wouldnt use campsites as you can get places free and spend the extra money on wine Ice cream for the kids
These free places generally have shed loads of facilities nearby including river and lake swimming at many of them.

If you check this link out, you will see some of the ones we have been to. Some of them you may have to pay for, but the high majority you dont . https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/categories/continental-tours.77/map Click any link and it will take you to a sort of blog

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Hello

My name is Samantha and I'm new on here. My little girl starts school next year so before that we wanted to hire or buy an RV and travel around some of Europe for 3 months ( May June July 2025) .

We have already looked at some rental/ buying options but we really are complete beginners. So really need any advice. Specifically:

1. Any route suggestions. We will be away for just under 3 months. The kids are 3 and 4 so we don't want to much daily driving. And the main aim is to have family time , an experience and relaxation.

We would like Europe.

Any route suggestions please ?

2. Any RV configurations / layouts you would advise would be best for a family of 4 - kids will sleep around 8ish?

3. Any campsite suggestions that have facilities and fun for the kids ...pool etc ?

4. Any other points to consider for a complete beginner ?

Thankyou so much all for taking the time.
If you have a look at a site called smappen

You can put in your start point and specify up to 3 hours driving and it will give you an idea of where to search for your next stop

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
since 2006
Agree with the rent suggestions , and if you have dealers close to you go have a look at the set ups as there are so many,with kids possibly bunk beds ,On your first trip don't take any notice of anybody telling you to travel very far, If you are looking at France keep away from the city's Paris etc and keep to northern France or Brittany , Its so easy to look at a map and think yes i will go down France into Spain/Portugal etc but remember its 1000 mile from Calais to Bordeaux and you are on holiday not writing a blog on how many places you can visit in 3 months. I have been going to France every year for almost 20 years and not seen half of it so in your 3 months just chill and travel about 100 mile a day at most and stop wherever suits you ,Europe is motorhome and leisure friendly which is so different to this country. I did have a website which did have a links page but it got to tedious to update but there is a blog site which mainly through pictures could give you an insight of what it will be like.(note i don't or very rarely use campsites though)

Heres a couple of campsite links and there are lots of websites and books about for first time travellers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back