LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There are various ways a vehicle can get to Cornwall.
One of them is via the A38, crossing the mighty Tamar via the bridge.

In 1988 a tunnel was opened at the Saltash end of the bridge allowing traffic to circumvent Saltash.

I'm putting the next bit in caps.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO VEHICULAR ACCIDENTS IN THAT TUNNEL FROM DAY 1. in 1988

Despite this, the Highways Authority have switched on the speed cameras that were installed some time ago but never put them in 'live' mode.

In addition to this, the dual carriageway at the far end of the tunnel has been reduced from National speed limit to 50mph.

Thus it can be categorically stated that the phrase 'Safety' cameras is a misnomer for 'Cash Cows'

After all, how can the authorities claim that the cameras are there for safety reasons when there has NOT been an accident where they have installed the cameras EVER!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting that someone c300 miles away knows it's an accident blackspot, yet a retired police officer living in the area clearly knows nothing as he stated there has never been an accident!

Apology due to Derek I think.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
There are various ways a vehicle can get to Cornwall.
One of them is via the A38, crossing the mighty Tamar via the bridge.

In 1988 a tunnel was opened at the Saltash end of the bridge allowing traffic to circumvent Saltash.

I'm putting the next bit in caps.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO VEHICULAR ACCIDENTS IN THAT TUNNEL FROM DAY 1. in 1988

Despite this, the Highways Authority have switched on the speed cameras that were installed some time ago but never put them in 'live' mode.

In addition to this, the dual carriageway at the far end of the tunnel has been reduced from National speed limit to 50mph.

Thus it can be categorically stated that the phrase 'Safety' cameras is a misnomer for 'Cash Cows'

After all, how can the authorities claim that the cameras are there for safety reasons when there has NOT been an accident where they have installed the cameras EVER!
I suppose it's to be expected as we are about to enter prime holiday season, with many journeying to that part of the world, and thus rich pickings for the authorities on the unsuspecting tourists.
But then that would appear to make me cynical :ROFLMAO:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Interesting that someone c300 miles away knows it's an accident blackspot, yet a retired police officer living in the area clearly knows nothing as he stated there has never been an accident!

Apology due to Derek I think.
Yet to find a British driver I feel confident to be a passenger with although my ex traffic cop brother is bearable. British driver's are cr@p and need to be corralled into behaving. I live on a fast road and the vast majority of drivers are dangerous, bikers are just dumb and needy to have their keys confiscated 🤬

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
During 'Office hours' ie. 7am to 6pm (ish)
I would be very surprised if these cameras earned any money.
Why?

It's a three lane tunnel and is usually so busy that there is no chance of having a free run through the tunnel.

This exercise is there to catch the uninitiated, when there's little traffic about.
Sort of defeats the concept of 'Safety camerav

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Back in the da
No problem.
I am sure he can fit you in.🤣
Back in the day my test examiner didn't even know what one of his oen exam road signs meant so I'll stick to learning from the 'road of life' 😉
(Distance to concealed level crossing btw)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Back in the da

Back in the day my test examiner didn't even know what one of his oen exam road signs meant so I'll stick to learning from the 'road of life' 😉
(Distance to concealed level crossing btw)
I have absolutely no idea if that is right or not as I have not seen the sign in question used on your test.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Speeding Slow Down GIF
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ
Cow Tongue GIF by AFV Pets

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Yet to find a British driver I feel confident to be a passenger with although my ex traffic cop brother is bearable. British driver's are cr@p and need to be corralled into behaving. I live on a fast road and the vast majority of drivers are dangerous, bikers are just dumb and needy to have their keys confiscated 🤬
Sounds like you may just need to increase the dosage? :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Then there is the new a30 fully opened now….

You can now drive from Camborne to Carlisle without going on a single carriageway ….😎
I only ever drive on a single carriageway! it might be half a dual carriageway, but I only ever drive on one of them. :giggle:

Yet again it demonstrates how daft our language can be.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I only ever drive on a single carriageway! it might be half a dual carriageway, but I only ever drive on one of them. :giggle:

Yet again it demonstrates how daft our language can be.
Still a dual carriageway though.😀

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To be fair my 89 Mother in Law says the same

Every time she goes out everything is a near miss and everyone drives too fast.

So it must be true👍🏻

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Why stop at Carlisle...
You could get to Stirling and beyond before hitting single carriageway.👍👍
Is the A9 not dualled all the way up to just short of Dunkeld so you could get to there?

Or, I think you can get to the end of The Kingsway in Dundee or Arbroath if you conveniently forget about the mile or so of single carriageway from there to Claypotts.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I always use a tried and trusted method in the Motorhome to avoid cameras and fines, I just don’t speed.

I am on holiday, I cruise at whatever the law tells me I can.

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Agreed that if you don’t speed then there is nothing to worry about, however when it was reported on the local tv news they quoted the expected revenue the cameras will generate firstly and never mentioned the safety aspect until almost near the end of the piece. Somehow it did seem the priority was financial rather than safety.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back