Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
I've just had the fluid changed on my (new to me) Hymer. I asked in garage (Fiat Pro) when it needs doing again.
His reply was never, unless I have a problem. He also said in 5 years he's never done it before.
So I'm puzzled as to why people on here say get it done every 2 years ???

Cost me nearly £200. But it's been done now.

20240917_135942.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Clutch relearn procedure, I wonder if all its intelligence is held in the fluid and it had to relearn things like the times table and stuff 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️😄

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
So for £200 was that the clutch fluid and the gear change actuator fluid? It doesn't sound expensive enough. Thinking of getting mine done soon.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The earlier Comfortmatic manuals were silent on need for any fluid check or change. The more recent vans have reference to it, but not that clearly hence many Fiat pro garages remain unaware of it's desirability. Those who have had expensive failures have often found the fluid had become contaminated plus the relearn procedure, part of the fluid check, calibrates the clutch for wear which it doesn't seem to do by itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I had mine done in the 2 year service at £480 including the comfortmatic bit, if just doing it on its own he quoted £90. I use Logan Vehicle services, he’s mobile and comes to you and covers your area. He’s a Fiat and ford master technician so know his stuff, will get him to do our cambelt next year as it’s 5 years old.

Go on to facebook and search him if you’re on FB.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
just read part way through the 16 page thread on this, where Lenny (and others) gets charged £147. But whatever the cost it's peace of mind.

What is confusing me is some say they've had the clutch fluid changed and the hydraulic fluid changed, I thought they were the same ? my Fiat garage never mentioned the hydraulic fluid.

The gear change is very smooth (as it was before).

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
just read part way through the 16 page thread on this, where Lenny (and others) gets charged £147. But whatever the cost it's peace of mind.

What is confusing me is some say they've had the clutch fluid changed and the hydraulic fluid changed, I thought they were the same ? my Fiat garage never mentioned the hydraulic fluid.

The fact they did the relearn I think you’ve had the correct one carried out.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had ours done last year at Adam’s Morey Portsmouth https://www.adamsmorey.com/
I was shown a picture of the fluid and it was black. The mechanic said it was overdue @7 yrs.
The manager there Simon does his every 12 months so we’re going back on our way to the boat to Spain. If it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for us.
Check out the costs for gearbox/clutch repairs, their eye watering high.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

The hydraulic fluid they talk about is for the robotic gear change unit,Dexron III ATF.

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I had ours done last year at Adam’s Morey Portsmouth https://www.adamsmorey.com/
I was shown a picture of the fluid and it was black. The mechanic said it was overdue @7 yrs.
The manager there Simon does his every 12 months so we’re going back on our way to the boat to Spain. If it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for us.
Check out the costs for gearbox/clutch repairs, their eye watering high.
Mine was 7 yrs old when it had its first change last November at 47k
Simon said ours was as clean as new which surprised me as I spoke to the lovely widow of the one and only previous owner that the comfortmatic had never had a spanner on it or any fluid change since new!
51,700k now👍
The relearn was the thing I noticed most, a lot smoother on take up and gear change👍😊😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back