Collect my Motorhome tomorrow!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift 614
Hi,
Big day tomorrow when I collect my first Motorhome and have a question re weight.

Although I passed my test many moons ago I now realise that when I renewed my license when I passed 70 I can now only drive up to 3.500KG My Swift is under 3,500 KG with a payload of 550KG

I know this is not an exact science but 550KG seems a lot as there are only two of us although on longer journeys we will be loaded up. Any guidance here please?

Thanks Derek

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Ditto above, load it up with everything you need including fuel and water and then visit the local weighbridge.
And :welcome3: to Motorhome Fun

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware that 550kg is a figure stated as the van comes out the factory, if anything has been added like an extra battery, awning, towbar etc all those weights come off that payload amount. BUT I would not trust the figure, so first thing go to a weighbridge to see it's real empty weight. (y)
As a very rough guide a litre of water is 1 kg, so if you have a 100ltr water tank and fill it for a trip, that takes off 100kg..

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Derek, exciting times. 550kg is likely to be enough for a couple of people. Though I imagine that figure you have of 550 is theoretical, and you won't know how much payload you have till you get it weighed.

Have a read of this article Average Motorhome Payload Requirement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
:welc:
We have never filled the water tank - water is available everywhere in 5 litre bottles.
We have always been able to add water to the tank from inside. Check that out.

Grey water is just as heavy so keep that low as well.

Don't buy stuff for the garage until you have weighed it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Welcome and what a great time to have picking up your first van. Hopefully like us your goal is to enjoy motorhoming to the full. So put everything you need into the van. Including fuel, water, gas, food, clothes, chairs, BBQ. Don't leave anything out. Whatever you need. Then weigh the van. Then you will have a clear accurate picture of what you need.

If you want to try wild camping here and/or abroad, you might need more stuff.

Most of all enjoy it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You can reapply for your C1 . You need to fill in the D2 and D4 forms. D4 drivers is best.
For your current 3500t licence worse case is you could add a tow bar and pull a trailer should you find you need extra capacity. ( or even a tow car in the uk and top that up with your heavier stuff)

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Not on the list in Post #5 is a Spare Wheel if not Standard Fit add another 35Kg I think that is the weight ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back