Coiled cables

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
There is evidence on this post of the dangers of leaving the cable coiled (pictures). I’m pretty sure in those examples it didn’t happen the first time they used it. They may have used it like that for years without problem but that one time?? Why risk it?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Key word in The Wino answer= probably!

You are correct that the probability is low for certain groups, but probability does not generally account for unexpected changes. That comes under Risk Assessments, a subject close to my heart but much misunderstood and maligned in the mainstream population. There you have Risk, and Impact to add to the probability. In this case, Risk may be low, Impact is very high as it could conceivably lead to loss of life, making it Red Risk. The mitigation would be to uncoil the cable which reduces the risk to negligible but likely still leaves it as an Amber Risk because you have unprotected cable. .
I spent many years working on safety related and safety critical systems, so I've spent many hours filling in forms with risk, probability, impact and mitigation cost and that mind set seems to be engrained now. Having also seen reeled electrical cables overheat and in some cases catch fire in industrial settings, I'm well aware that it can happen. The risk with a MH may be lower, due to lower current draw, but given the low "cost" of mitigating the risk I always fully unreel my hook up cable - same as I do extension leads at home.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Always unwind ours, found out the hard way not with MOHO but Henry the Hoover. Only used it for about 10 mins with about 3m cable pulled out and then the smell of burning hit me and up it went. Hoover was only a month old and had no other defects. A good test to those who don't unwind is put your toaster on for 4 slices of bread for about 7 mins then unwind the cable and feel the temp. You would be supprised how warm it is.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That was/is all part of the fun Spriddler, I never imagined that at 65 years old I would need to learn to use the toilet..... 😀
Count your blessings before you're 79 like me and have difficulty just remembering where it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back