Coiled cables

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
La Manga, and I think Mazzaron beach, camp sites had fires in vans this or last year but not sure exactly why. The La Manga one was an electrical overload fault I seem to recall but again cannot be certain, I think 12 Spanish vans went up. The council shut them down as I recall at the time

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I have been following a similar thread on a technical theatrical page where a school were running a dimmer pack and several lights from a cable reel that failed half way through act 1. Cue darkness and then an evacuation. It led to a not dissimilar discussion amongst some school based technical staff (many of whom who lack any real understanding but are doing it because they are the 'technician in teh science dept or similar), and being challenged by professional tech staff. Many of the former were shouting down the pro's by claiming they have been doing similar for years and not had a problem! As one very experienced contributor wrote, why on earth are you playing Russian roulette in a school of all places?

Why take the risk? It makes no sense.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Next time you are in France stay at the Chateau Marquis de Vauban Aire in Blaye about 25 miles North of Bordeaux. They have a couple in their grounds.
Thanks. I have seen pictures. Sadly, with many things going on in our lives, I can't see us ever getting back to France in the motorhome. We have only been to one rally this year and done one other evening at another, plus a few hour at Henham both without the van. Those close to us, know some of the issues.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks. I have seen pictures. Sadly, with many things going on in our lives, I can't see us ever getting back to France in the motorhome. We have only been to one rally this year and done one other evening at another, plus a few hour at Henham both without the van. Those close to us, know some of the issues.
Black swans in Dawlish, Devon too - not so far to go.

1729456928366.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Never seen an electrical fire on all our travels in Europe. But seen a lot of cable drums around the sites.

The fact is that European motorhomes generally do not fit electrical elements in their heaters and boilers and they only use gas for the heating and cooking. That, and the warmer weather means they do not generate high electrical loads. On my Hymer the electrical elements were routinely added to RHD vehicles as an extra, because that is what the UK motorhomers demands.
It's pretty obviously not much of a danger the way motorhomes are used on the continent as I've seen lots of dodgy electrics and coiled cables but never seen any overheat. I don't think it is just the resistance of the cable it's also the coiled cable acting as an electromagnet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back